Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
Post Water Damage Problems

Hi forum,

I have a BMW 323i (E92) which underwent water damage after driving through some water (stupidly, of course). The automobile had its starter motor, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter and the oils replaced. The had water in the engine, which was extracted. The pistons were checked, and seemed to have no problems (no reduction in engine pressure). Luckily, the engine (to date) is fine.

This all happened six weeks ago. The car has been driving flawlessly (quite surprisingly, at that). Now, the insurance company has given me two option: write-off the car (as they know water damage can potentially lead to future problems), or keep the car. I would prefer not to write-off the car (I would not get as good a price as I got last time, if I were to purchase the same vehicle).

The real dilemma is whether to keep it, or hand it over to the insurance company. I would prefer to keep it, but do not want problems later on. The electricals are all dry, as is the engine (I have gone through approximately three tanks of petrol since the accident).

Furthermore, the car is on a three year warranty, so if problems arose in the next three years, most likely, I should be covered by that (insurance does not cover this, as it is mechanical, not accidental damage).

Would it be wise to hand the car over, or keep it. I am leaning towards keeping it, due to the fact that it still drives flawlessly, and without problems.

Thank you for your assistance.

Lambros
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Did the water enter the cabin? How high did it get?

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 AM

No water entered the cabin.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambros View Post
No water entered the cabin.
If the insurance writes it off and gives you a check for the market value, can you buy the car back from the insurance for practically a few hundred dollars?
I am not sure on the insurance regulations in Australia.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
If the insurance writes it off and gives you a check for the market value, can you buy the car back from the insurance for practically a few hundred dollars?
I am not sure on the insurance regulations in Australia.
It doesn't really work like that, no. If the insurance company writes it off though, it goes down with the VIN that the car is written off. If I keep it, the car will not have a record of the damages, which is advantageous should I want to sell it in future.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Not a real doctor.

I'd say if the water never rose to the point where it entered the cabin, the car is probably ok. If you love the car, I think I'd keep it.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambros View Post
It doesn't really work like that, no. If the insurance company writes it off though, it goes down with the VIN that the car is written off. If I keep it, the car will not have a record of the damages, which is advantageous should I want to sell it in future.
I understand now, we have something similar here in the states where a vehicle totaled by an insurance can be purchased back for practically nothing, however the titles gets written off as SALVAGE - in this case, if you don't want to explore the loop holes of different states regulations, you can drive that car till the wheels fall off while saving for a replacement.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: e61, e93, MB 380SL
I think you will find that your warranty does not cover any damage that results from water, and if there is a history of a significant water experience, I would expect that the dealer will argue that a lot of future issues are tied back to there and refuse coverage. It should be in the watrranty wording. I am quite sure that is the case here in US.

Look at the many threads on water damage due to blocked sunroof and cowl drains that caused thousands of dollars of electronic replacements outside of warranty.

Last edited by mbsl98; 03-26-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
I'd let the insurance company write it off and save yourself future headaches, repairs and accelerated depreciation.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsl98 View Post
I think you will find that your warranty does not cover any damage that results from water, and if there is a history of a significant water experience, I would expect that the dealer will argue that a lot of future issues are tied back to there and refuse coverage. It should be in the watrranty wording. I am quite sure that is the case here in US.

Look at the many threads on water damage due to blocked sunroof and cowl drains that caused thousands of dollars of electronic replacements outside of warranty.
There is no electrical damage. No water even entered the electrical component of the car. Also, how will BMW Australia pick up on previous water damage? The mechanic has not reported any water damage in the BMW service history.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
I'd let the insurance company write it off and save yourself future headaches, repairs and accelerated depreciation.
Well, this is it. I mean, based on what I have said so far, the likelihood of future problems is near negligible (but still somewhat possible).
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
Did the water enter the cabin? How high did it get?
Hey prof, are you kbryce from the "other forum"? I recognize you from your signature photo!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Not a real doctor.

Nope. Sounds to me like somebody ripped off my signature photo, eh?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Kris

Mein Auto: 2011 320d Coupe
Water did not enter the cabin and did not affect electrical. It seems like you've taken remedial measures right after the water damage. It's probably going to be alright.

I wouldn't risk it next time. We have to be twice more careful with our cars here as they cost a lot more with or without luxury car tax.