Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Major Peace

Mein Auto: 2003 330 Ci Convertible
White Smoke From Engine - Messages

Assistance needed.

I was working on 330Ci 2003 M54 engine. The goal replace Oil Filter Housing Gasket and the install Beisans Systems Vanos Seals replacement.

I had recently replaced my Value Cover Gasket 2 months ago successfully but still had a leak, actually greater leak of oil and knew it was time to OFHG.

I began by placing all of my tools and DIY materials neatly in the working area. I removed everything except when I came to the fan I could not get that SOB out, excuse my language. I tried the Smolk Sledge Seize Removal Process but after 140 hits with the Sledge against the 32 MM Wrench I retired that process. I actually tried to machine a Pully Tool but all I had was strong cardboard and that definitely did not work. Defeated for the moment I re assembled the parts and drove the car 1/4 mile and White Smoke came from under the hood. I called the tow truck and the next day my trusted Mechanic told me that I had failed to reassembled the Vanos Cover Gasket and something had lodged in that area and that oil was spilling directly onto the manifold and thus the white smoke.

I can tell you that when I placed the cover back onto the VCG it was fitted. As a matter of fact if one side is loose it will not fit nicely anywhere else, am I correct?. I do not doubt my Indy. I just do not know how this is possible that I missed that, I could possibly understand that a bolt came loose, but not that the VCG is on crooked. I will go to the shop and try to fix this problem as the Indy was kind enough to say that I could do it cheaper than paying him $350 and that he would not do the Beisan Install because he was not comfortable with recommending it as a solution to the low rev problems.

Any suggestions on how the VCG is not on correctly or where the Oil could be leaking and how I should proceed. Sorry no pictures. I also just purchased the Schwaben Water Pump Pully Tool for $15 from Sears. It says it fits most M54 engines.
Ads by Google