Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5x
Question.

How true it is, the fact that I was told if I dont use 91 or over 91 gasoline I will damage the engine in my bimmer? Someone?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
I use 89 and I can't tell the difference
2011 550i Xdrive, Sophisto Grau, Anthracite/Black Dakota, Active/ventilated seats, Cold Weather, Convenience, M Sport, P2, SAT, HUD, top and side view cameras, power rear sunshade, split fold down seat, comfort access, SAT Radio, rear view camera, 35% window 3M tint, Dinan Stage 1 (soon)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Your manual will tell you the recommended octane

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Bimmer App
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 02 530i
My manual says use unleaded. So is regular ok?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App
Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 AM

First off what is the year make and model of your vehicle? I have a 97 528i my recommended fuel octane is 91 or better so I try and use that

Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 02 530i
I have an 02 530i 5 speed

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 AM

I have found this forum post in regards to all bmw's and how they are tested

Thomas Plucinsky, BMW Product and Technology Communications Manager told us all BMW engines are designed to run on 91 octane. All performance testing, including EPA emissions and fuel mileage, is done with 91 octane. However, though BMW is all about performance, their motors will run on 89 or 87 octane without damage. The knock sensors pull the ignition timing back and eliminate detonation. There will be a loss of power and a decrease in fuel mileage, but the size of the horsepower loss and the increase in fuel consumption depends upon many factors, such as ambient temperature, exact formulation of the fuel and driving technique, so BMW does not offer any estimates for operation on lower grade fuels. One not so obvious concern, Mr. Plucinsky noted, is the type and quality of additives the gasoline companies include in the fuel. Premium gasolines may have better additive packages which are more effective keeping fuel systems (particularly injectors) clean and working efficiently, than those in regular grade fuels or off-brand products. Using lower octane or off-brand fuel could be degrading the fuel system over time, setting you up for a repair bill down the line.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 PM
5.25iStone

Mein Auto: 5.25I
Fellas, on the real....i just got my '92 5.25i, and I ignorantly used regular gas for bout a week...bad move! My idle started making the car rock!!! Never again! Premium Only!!!!

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Bimmer App