Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 528e
Junk in my Trunk

I bought an '85 528e last fall but for the life of me I cannot open the trunk. I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 2 weeks because I have 1 tail light that works and no working break lights but I don't know of any other way to replace them than from inside the trunk. How do I get it open. Please help.
Ads by Google
Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthiashp View Post
I bought an '85 528e last fall but for the life of me I cannot open the trunk. I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 2 weeks because I have 1 tail light that works and no working break lights but I don't know of any other way to replace them than from inside the trunk. How do I get it open. Please help.
Does your key work the lock? You turn the key to either side to lock or unlock it and press in the button. The button can get stubborn from dirt and corrosion and may need some kind of penetrating lube, (WD-40, Lock-ease, etc) but should work. Sometimes you need to press down a bit on the trunk lid to relieve a little of the lock mechanism pressure to get it to pop open. You may also be able to remove the back seat and unlock the mechanism from inside the trunk with a long screwdriver. Keep at it, eventually you will get it open if you dedicate yourself to the task.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1985 528e
Yeah the key works. When I turn the key in the trunk key hole it unlocks and locks the whole car. So I need to push in as I'm turning the key? Okay thanks.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Once you've unlocked it, push. The button may have to go all the way down to unlatch the mechanism. Pressing down on the trunk lid may help get it open. Good luck.