Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 03-30-2012, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: 95 M3 coupe mods
Question unfamiliar

I recently saved all my money and decided to buy a 95 m3 coupe "best decision of my life" it came with aftermarket HK? or close to it adjustable coilovers. the car is super low and sitting roughly level,

Now, the car feels darty in aggressive cornering, almost like it's too stiff?

I've noticed pretty substantial wheel hop on a dry day under heavy accelaration, spinning the tires.

also took a look under the front and there is no sway bar, could this have any thing to do with the coil overs? "maybe the slammed it so hard end links were to long? idk? but the car has zero body roll, do I have to have the sway bar for attequite performance?

any info would be greaTLY APPRECIATED! i'm new to the m3, but so far so good! what a great sound, low end tourque and I wish i could say balance but it needs some help!
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
If you lower a BMW too far, the front control arms get pointed the wrong way and the camber curve inverts. This means, as the car leans into a turn, the outer wheel goes to positive camber, which reduces front grip. Look under the front of the car with it sitting normally, the front lower control arms should tilt downwards from the center of the car to the wheels. If they are level or pointed up, the car will handle VERY strangely.

Also, BMW suspensions tune differently than others. To reduce understeer, you INCREASE front roll stiffness. This is because there is not enough camber gain to offset the body roll. So you reduce body roll. If a previous owner did not realize this, they may have tried removing the front sway bar entirely to "reduce understeer."

Then finally, you need to check the front lower control arm bushings where the control arms attach to the chassis at the rear of wheel well. If they are worn or soft, you can get a darty feel.

And finally, check the alignment. Some track people set up cars with toe OUT in the front to enhance turn in.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)