Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstx330ci View Post
I respectfully disagree with your view. I owned an '08 550i and now own a '12 550i (and a Porsche and a Spec Miata) and (as a HPDE driving instructor with extensive experience in high performance cars at speed) I can honestly state that my '12 550i handles amazingly well. My initial impression was less rosy as it took me some time behind the wheel to adjust to its handling. The steering is different from my prior e60, but not particularly worse or better... just different. The steering in my F10 provides good feedback, responds accurately to driver inputs and is not overly assisted as was the steering in my e46 330Ci some years back. My only major complaint with this car is that BMW discontinued the adjustable side bolsters in the F10 so you really have to brace yourself when taking tighter corners at a high rate of speed (which this car does quite well).

In summary, while my prior '08 550i handled differently from this car, it did not necessarily handle better. And, just because something is different does not mean it is better or worse. Also, sometimes it takes a little time to appreciate something that is different. My $.02.
Good points. It was only after driving the car for a while have I discovered that the car is actually quite adept at handling. And the N63 certainly doesn't disappoint. But on a quick test drive, the car feels somewhat aloof. After driving it sportingly, it tightens up quite nicely. And I have the so-called dreaded EPS. While I do feel a little bit of loss of feel at times, it really is fine. When I test drove the CLS and A6, the steering felt quite numb in both.

Of course, it is important to note what options the F10 has when making determinations about its handling prowess. If you drove a non-sport model, it does feel more on the luxury side of things. With sport and DDC, with the meatier steering wheel, it is more in line with its sporting roots.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The electric steering on the A6 tighten up very nicely on the highway, it also have more feedback when in dynamic mode than the 535xi. The throttle and the brake pedal distance is fine, unless you wear size 16 shoes. The 5 series looks much more like the new 3 series than the A6 does the A4. Pretty much all the magazine agree that the A6's interior blows away the 5 series'. Here in MA, there are as many Audi dealer as the BMW dealer. The A6 LED head lights are very much functional and not gimmicky, BMW is way behind in LED lighting technologies. The LED DRL on the A6 is not a eyebrow, the LED DRL is under the headlights, not over it. That last statment tells me how much you know about the new A6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Personally I don't give a flying fig what any magazines say about the interior, they're all bought and paid off by the manufacturers.

My point was that your opinion is yours and not necessarily reflective of actual reality. You have your opinion, I have mine. And actually I know quite a bit about the A6. I cross shopped both it and the A7 when I bought my 535. In both cars, my feet snagged on the pedals. I don't wear 16's, just 13's. Oh, and would you rather me call the LED's eye liner than an eyebrow? LOL.
Thanks for taking the bait. Next time you log onto a BMW board slamming the car, don't expect less. Expect worse. You're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't give you the right to slam others for theirs.

And if the fog lights had LED's, that would be lip liner!

Sorry I have to bring up old stuff and not trying to instigate...but this "eye liner" reply has had me cracking up ever since I first read it! hahaha
Old 03-30-2012, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
Good points. It was only after driving the car for a while have I discovered that the car is actually quite adept at handling. And the N63 certainly doesn't disappoint. But on a quick test drive, the car feels somewhat aloof. After driving it sportingly, it tightens up quite nicely. And I have the so-called dreaded EPS. While I do feel a little bit of loss of feel at times, it really is fine. When I test drove the CLS and A6, the steering felt quite numb in both.

Of course, it is important to note what options the F10 has when making determinations about its handling prowess. If you drove a non-sport model, it does feel more on the luxury side of things. With sport and DDC, with the meatier steering wheel, it is more in line with its sporting roots.
I see you don't have the IAS on your RWD F10. In all fairness to BMW, in terms of whether or not they have designed the F10 to handle well, they have designed and offered as options three important handling options that drivers who want the best handling RWD F10 can avail themselves of. These are the DDC, ARS, and IAS. The absense of any one of these options will worsen the sportiness and handling of the car. For many drivers, who just want basic luxury transportantion, paying for such handling improving options is a waste of money. But for those who crave the traditional BMW high performance all three of these are a must. If, on the other hand, a driver has all three of these options and still has serious criticisms of the handling compared to the competition from other manufacturers then that criticism is justified. But to criticize BMW for poor steering or handling of the F10 is not justified because BMW has engineered these optional improvements specifically to satisfy the demanding driver. If a demanding driver does not avail himself of all three of these handling options that is his fault, not the fault of BMW.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
I see you don't have the IAS on your RWD F10. In all fairness to BMW, in terms of whether or not they have designed the F10 to handle well, they have designed and offered as options three important handling options that drivers who want the best handling RWD F10 can avail themselves of. These are the DDC, ARS, and IAS. The absense of any one of these options will worsen the sportiness and handling of the car. For many drivers, who just want basic luxury transportantion, paying for such handling improving options is a waste of money. But for those who crave the traditional BMW high performance all three of these are a must. If, on the other hand, a driver has all three of these options and still has serious criticisms of the handling compared to the competition from other manufacturers then that criticism is justified. But to criticize BMW for poor steering or handling of the F10 is not justified because BMW has engineered these optional improvements specifically to satisfy the demanding driver. If a demanding driver does not avail himself of all three of these handling options that is his fault, not the fault of BMW.
I was just comparing between the basic BMW 335xi and the basic A6, not some supped up $80000 5 series. What you just said is pretty much in line with what I have stated all along, the new 5 series is now a form of luxury transportation, no longer as sporty as the last gen in its basic form.
If you want to compare apples to apples, price wise, the 3.0T A6 is a direct competitor of the 528xi. I think itís pretty safe to say the 3.0T A6 blows away the 528xi in every aspect of performance related categories.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I was just comparing between the basic BMW 335xi and the basic A6, not some supped up $80000 5 series. What you just said is pretty much in line with what I have stated all along, the new 5 series is now a form of luxury transportation, no longer as sporty as the last gen in its basic form.
If you want to compare apples to apples, price wise, the 3.0T A6 is a direct competitor of the 528xi. I think it's pretty safe to say the 3.0T A6 blows away the 528xi in every aspect of performance related categories.
I would agree with you on that. I think you'd have to be dead on the inside to buy a 528xi over an A6 3.0T. For the price the Audi is the best car out there, but for higher prices, BMW can deliver a better product.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I would agree with you on that. I think you'd have to be dead on the inside to buy a 528xi over an A6 3.0T. For the price the Audi is the best car out there, but for higher prices, BMW can deliver a better product.
That was exactly how I looked at it from my perpective when I was comparing the 5 series and the A6. The A6 3.0T cost the same as the 528xi and the A6 perform as well if not better than the 535xi. Also, the 535xi costed about $8000 more than the A6. As much as I like BMW, it was really tough for me to justified the extra cost.