Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Sport
Diamon Fusion for windshields

I leased a new Volvo for my daughter, and was told they offer this product which is
like "Rain- X on steroids". Put it on windshield and water flows off, keeping windshield much clearer. I'm all into whatever safety feature I can get for my daughters vehicle. Hence, the Volvo. They charge $300 to apply it. I negotiated with them to put it on my car and my wife's car for the same $300. 3 cars for $300. The question is, if for $100 per car the stuff is worth it?
Ads by Google
Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Don't think so.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
I would say no. Save your money and buy several bottles of Rain X instead. The product reportedly wears off and has to be reapplied every 3 or 4 months. Check out the below review:

http://www.dalehenninger.com/archives/3
Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
I leased a new Volvo for my daughter, and was told they offer this product which is
like "Rain- X on steroids". Put it on windshield and water flows off, keeping windshield much clearer. I'm all into whatever safety feature I can get for my daughters vehicle. Hence, the Volvo. They charge $300 to apply it. I negotiated with them to put it on my car and my wife's car for the same $300. 3 cars for $300. The question is, if for $100 per car the stuff is worth it?
Don't pay. This stuff lasts about 6 months max.

Better idea is to use Aquapel which also lasts 6 months and which is also substantially better than Rain-X. I use Aquapel and am constantly amazed how good it is when I am driving in the rain. At higher speeds, I just switch off the wipers.

One Aquapel can cover a windshield, but I would recommend you buy the 12 pack for $35 on Amazon. I did all my windows, and have a stash for when it begins to wear out in about 6 months.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Aquapel will work just the same or better. Don't waste your money on dealer installed accessories.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: X5
RE: Diamon-Fusion for Windshields

Hello,
I am a representative from Diamon-Fusion International. We regret the negative experience some of you seem to have encountered with our product and the incorrect information you may have received from various dealers and installers, and we'd like to help clear up any misinformation you might have been given. I hope it’s ok if we answer some of the what seems like are the most confusing points.
-Basic background: Diamon-Fusion® is a low-maintenance, not a no-maintenance, coating for silica-based surfaces (glass, porcelain, tile, granite, & quartz). Using most brand name cleaners on the market to clean DFI treated glass is harmful because they are acidic and harsh. Diamon-Fusion® is easily cleaned with just mild soap and water, so no harsh chemicals are needed.
-Because it is a patented product and is typically professionally applied, it has not been generally available to the public through retail outlets. We are the owner of the technology, therefore, all dealers and applicators set their own pricing and warranty policies. Many variations of coverages, price points, etc. exist. As with any product purchased, care must be taken to thoroughly read and understand what is being offered and covered.
-Independent testing has proven that Diamon-Fusion® makes windshield glass ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack. That is only one of the other benefits, besides water repellency, that it provides. We’d love to talk to you about them and many others, and invite you to revisit our website—or better yet—give us a call toll-free at 1.888.344.4DFI(334).
-Without detracting from competitors or trying to explain the nuance of each difference, we believe we are the only patented glass coating we know of that has had the extensive testing for safety that we have, will help to keep your insurance claims down by not having a relatively small claim when a full warranty is purchased, and is guaranteed not to haze, peel, or yellow.
-As one reviewer noted, simply because the properties of the coating diminish somewhat, it does not mean that the coating is gone. Yes, there is maintenance needed; we know of no other coating that has none at all. As also noted, however, the little time it takes to Revitalize Diamon-Fusion®, is well worth the small amount of effort that would need to be done anyway, and with less superior products.
I hope this response has helped give you more concrete information about Diamon-Fusion®. Please contact us soon and let us do our best to share with you how to avoid a potential problem that may seem relatively minor now, but that could become costly and a big inconvenience in the future.
Thank you all for your input, especially to those that tried to point out differences and share their positive experiences. We also greatly value the opinions of those with less than perfect experiences as this is how we learn and improve. We hope to have the opportunity to have you as Diamon-Fusion customers in the future.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Honestly, I don't care if your product is the best thing since sliced bread. If it's being marketed through the dealer, they're marking it up too much and I'll never buy it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Please state your patent number, and the name of the independent laboratory along with the publicly available test report number or title.

Thank you.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM

To Quacker

Hi,

Yes, happy to let you know our Patent number is 6,245,387 and may be looked up at the USPTO (US Patent &Trade Office) website.

The Institute for Glass Science and Engineering at Alfred University, New York was the independent test lab and the full results may be seen on our Diamon-Fusion website listed at the bottom under Products and Services, then *Test Results.

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535ix MSport w/ Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
... If it's being marketed through the dealer...
Nuff said
Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 550 i
It is a shame that a product doesn't get the recognition it deserves, only because an involvemenr of a"stealership". IMHO
Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
This is the part that bothers me, "... makes windshield glass ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack". My dealer said something similar to this to me about your product. But he was quick to say, "but that isnt guaranteed". So what good is saying it then? What proof do you have that it makes the windshield 10 times harder to pit, chip, or crack?

We all hear those grandiose statements regarding additional cost items such as leather protection, paint protection, undercoating, etc... If you wont guarantee it, then it costs way too much.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 525xi
Could have been worse...at least you got three cars done for that price
Old 03-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW E36 328i,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA43 View Post
This is the part that bothers me, "... makes windshield glass ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack". My dealer said something similar to this to me about your product. But he was quick to say, "but that isnt guaranteed". So what good is saying it then? What proof do you have that it makes the windshield 10 times harder to pit, chip, or crack?

We all hear those grandiose statements regarding additional cost items such as leather protection, paint protection, undercoating, etc... If you wont guarantee it, then it costs way too much.
I don't think the dealer would guarantee it because the. The dealer is on the hook if your windshield gets chipped or cracked. They probably don't want the liability that would go along with that.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! #343!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamon-Fusion View Post
-Independent testing has proven that Diamon-Fusion® makes windshield glass ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack. .
See, this is the thing that I don't agree with. Unless you have additional testing other than what you show on your website, you're basing this claim on theoretical static load resistance based on the contact angle. Now, I'm not a materials scientists, however I do have scientific training. Your claim is, in my mind, tenuous at best. Your static load needed to crack the glass is based on a formula, not actual results. Assuming that this formula is correct, you then make a jump from a static load to "harder to pit, chip or crack". But as we all know, an automotive windshield is rarely subjected to a static load. Loads are impact related, not static.

Sorry, whether or not your product does make surfaces more water resistant, I'm not sure how you can make the claims regarding pitting, chipping and cracking.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
See, this is the thing that I don't agree with. Unless you have additional testing other than what you show on your website, you're basing this claim on theoretical static load resistance based on the contact angle. Now, I'm not a materials scientists, however I do have scientific training. Your claim is, in my mind, tenuous at best. Your static load needed to crack the glass is based on a formula, not actual results. Assuming that this formula is correct, you then make a jump from a static load to "harder to pit, chip or crack". But as we all know, an automotive windshield is rarely subjected to a static load. Loads are impact related, not static.

Sorry, whether or not your product does make surfaces more water resistant, I'm not sure how you can make the claims regarding pitting, chipping and cracking.
Agree.

But it seems there is another company called Prestige Films which makes a windshield film called Diamond Fusion Windshield protection film which is like a clear bra for the windshield. I would believe that might prevent chips since film applications have surface tension.

http://teamspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63333

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM

Hello again,

Our product was invented by a retired chemistry professor, Dr. Don Hayden. Upon entering the auto windshield market we had the problem of trying to quantify, what we could clearly see are, the benefits that the coating provides.

For instance, as you can see in YOUTUBE videos, we took pieces of laminated glass similar in thickness to a standard windshield and we treated half of it with Diamon-Fusion®. We then took that glass and set it against a tree at the same approximate angle it would be if it were in a vehicle. Next we stood back about 40 feet, and using a BB-Gun Air pistol, shot each side with 10 shots, alternating sides.

The results were that on the untreated side, 9 of the 10 shots broke the glass badly, and the one that didn't was not a repairable break. The treated side had 2 breaks, both of which were repairable, and 8 bounced off. This real world test has been repeated many times with the same, or similar, results.

While that evidence was empirical, we decided to send our coatings to the only Professor of Glass Science we could find, who was at Alfred University in New York. The test he used with a glass indentor, proved that the coefficient of friction of Diamon-Fusion® treated glass was so much lower that objects not hitting the glass perfectly perpendicular, which rarely happens on a windshield, were now sliding across the surface because of the low COF. Since the capped silicone film treatment had taken away the microscopic peaks in the glass, they were not there to get caught or tugged by the object, so the glass remained undamaged.

After 15 years, we have many testimonials from people who couldn't believe their glass didn't break when it was hit with something after it had been treated. Dr. LaCourse, who performed the tests, quantified the results by saying an object that would cause damage to a windshield under a certain set of variables, would have to weigh 10x more to damage a Diamon-Fusion® treated one than an untreated one.

The fact is that the BB Gun test and testimonials are more convincing than the Professors words.

Thanks again to everyone for their posts, we appreciate the opportunity to discuss our product.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: Myself Crazy
I am at a loss as to why your company would choose to market this through auto dealers. Not only is their reputation suspect(and therefore any products that they market), but they employ some of the least skilled folks when it comes to quality of application. Detailing comes to mind as an example. An independent detail shop will do a better job of detailing than a car dealer 90% of the time. Why would Diamon-Fusion not choose this route?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
I also do not go for the dealership up sell items. But, it sounds like Diamon-Fusion has a good product. Best of luck to them.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
As SP mentioned Aquapel is very good.

Another glass product that I have been using is Wolf's Glass guard. Easier application process then Aquapel as you dont have to remove before it dries as you should with Aquapel. Its out of stock right now at Detailers Domain (forum sponsor.) They usually get some in every few weeks. You use so little that the 150ml bottle will last a long time. I'll be applying it to my shower glass door and our new home windows when they are installed in a few months.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k