Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti FX35
Advice needed on Ordering a new 535i GT

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as I'm in the market myself for the 2012 535i GT in the next few months. As mentioned this is a pretty rare car so I'm sure I'll be ordering it to get exactly what I want. I, of course, want to get the best price. I've seen mention of the USAA program but don't qualify but I live near the Spartanburg SC plant & could pick up the car there. Does anyone know the best way to order w/o going through a dealer & avoid the mark up? The MSRP of the 535i wanted is $72,395, the TrueCar average price paid is $67,639. It would be a cash deal so a very simple sale. Any tips on how to get it at less than the MSRP price? Thanks in advance!!
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT
I'm not sure how the picking up at Spartanburg would work. AFAIK they are coming from Germany and would be available through Euro Delivery for something like you're talking about. ED would be a nice option to take some money off the price, but it would still have to be done through a dealer. I believe TrueCar will find dealers near you that participate with them and you could probably get a good price that way if you don't already have a preferred dealer. Just finding a good sales person will make all the difference. Maybe someone on here can recommend someone in your area. I have a great guy in Alexandria, VA that is very fair on pricing and just makes the overall experience of buying a car less of a hassle. There may be someone near you that can recommend someone like this.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
If you order a car, you can have it delivered either to the selling dealer or to the Performance Center for pickup. You can buy it from any dealer in the US, but sometimes, you get added benefits and considerations from the one you expect to get it serviced from if you also buy it there (that's a local policy, not corporate). For example, not all dealers give free loaner cars while yours is being serviced, but often, if you bought it there, they do. Some also will do a free state inspection and other perks. But, that is very much up to the local dealer. So, call around, get a good quote, and buy it anywhere in the country, and have it delivered to the PC if you wish.

If you do ED, you do physically have to be there to pick it up, but you could either drive it directly back to the drop-off point (it's an easy walk to the Munich airport terminal), or decide to take advantage of the two weeks free insurance and registration they give you. It would waste a couple of days, or one REALLY long one, to just fly there, and fly home, but you might save some money...depends on how hungry the dealer is. They like ED since it doesn't come out of their allotment, but they get the credit for the sale.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
ED if you can afford the time to make the trip is a good option.

Otherwise for a cash deal - just print out your order and fax it to many dealers in the area to get your best deal.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:35 PM

Evidently BMW has the same type of program as the ED in Munich @ their plant in Spartanburg SC:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...CenterFAQ.aspx

It offers a one-night stay, meals, track test, tour & delivery of your new BMW. The difference is, the BIG difference is no Munich discount. I live only an hour & a half away so this would be a perfect way to take delivery. Since I'm not taking delivery @ the dealership I figured there might be a way to get a discount since it's a pretty easy sale. I've done the fax thing w/Toyota & it worked well. Hoping there was another way. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
BMW only sells through dealers (unless maybe you're buying a fleet of them)...so, since any dealer in the USA can order a car for you, you'd need to first find one that will give you the price you're happy with. One consideration on USA delivery (not the ED program) is that anything ordered comes out of the dealer's allotment. An ED vehicle does NOT come out of his allotment, but gives him some bonuses. ED vehicles don't require costs like floorplanning, or advertising costs to the dealer, any vehicle first delivered in the states does. So, their margin can be the same for selling an ED vehicle at a lower price than they could one out of stock. So, if you think of it like this, sell a GT at cost, or a popular vehicle with a $1k profit, and you cannot sell both because of allocations, which would you sell? Not the GT! SO, they expect to make at least the same margin on it. Only when there's a factory incentive, or the one they bought has sat for too long will you typically get a super good deal.

The ED and PC delivery (you can do both - I did) are different experiences. The PC will provide a night in the hotel and normal delivery orientation and some track time. Both ED and the PC can make a factory tour available to you. The ED also gives you a pass to the BMW museum and a voucher for the gift shop and meals, but no hotel.

As noted, ED gives you a fixed discount off the list price of the base vehicle. Their configuration then allows you to add any options, but they are at list. When talking to a dealer, you can negotiate the whole price lower, just like you could starting from the sticker for a car purchased or ordered for US delivery.

If you can save some money, it might be worth the ED, even if you just fly over, take delivery, and fly back. But, most people, once they got there, would stay for at least awhile. It's kind of neat being able to drive the thing on the autobahn at speeds that are way beyond legal in the USA (but, you shouldn't exceed 100mph while it is still in the breakin period!).
Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMax View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as I'm in the market myself for the 2012 535i GT in the next few months. As mentioned this is a pretty rare car so I'm sure I'll be ordering it to get exactly what I want. I, of course, want to get the best price. I've seen mention of the USAA program but don't qualify but I live near the Spartanburg SC plant & could pick up the car there. Does anyone know the best way to order w/o going through a dealer & avoid the mark up? The MSRP of the 535i wanted is $72,395, the TrueCar average price paid is $67,639. It would be a cash deal so a very simple sale. Any tips on how to get it at less than the MSRP price? Thanks in advance!!
Would you be comfortable at the TrueCar average price paid? You could wait until later in the year when there are factory incentives.

Just curious - what configuration are you looking at?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM

The ED program won't really work for me - the savings after flight/hotel/misc expenses make it basically wash at best. I would be more than happy with the TrueCar price if I could get it. Here's my config:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...tionId=2587884

If you guys know of any dealers that could do close to the TrueCar price of $68,241 I would truly appreciate it. I'm ready to order in the June/July timeframe, cash.

Thanks!!

The price difference from my original post was due to a couple add-ons. Couldn't help myself

Last edited by RayMax; 03-29-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
i can highly recommend chris christian at orange county bmw in ny.. he has always given me the best prices no one has been able to match... I'm sure he would work with you and arrange a pc delivery...
mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
The ED program won't really work for me - the savings after flight/hotel/misc expenses make it basically wash at best. I would be more than happy with the TrueCar price if I could get it. Here's my config:

If you guys know of any dealers that could do close to the TrueCar price of $68,241 I would truly appreciate it. I'm ready to order in the June/July timeframe, cash.

Thanks!!

The price difference from my original post was due to a couple add-ons. Couldn't help myself
I know the feeling! I checked out your configuration - I think carpeted floor mats come with the car, so I'm not sure what the $245 add-on is?

Your purchase will be very easy for any dealership, so I would just call around, ask for the sales manager, tell him/her what you want, what you want to pay, by when you will make the purchase, and let them try to meet your price. Let them know it's a cash deal and you are shopping it. If you go in, you may have to walk out to "think about it" and come back, 3 times, not just once. Just keep asserting the price you want or ask them to throw in rubber mats or whatever, even when it feels awkward. When it feels awkward, you're getting close. Stick to your guns and don't be afraid of silence. I think negotiating has gotten harder since the recession - salespeople are more callous now it seems. Car sales are a monthly business, so you will have a greater advantage at the end of the month.

Keep us posted!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Mein Auto: '14 X5 50/ '10 Golf TDI
I think 500-1000k over invoice is a fair price. You can get invoice pricing from http://www.bmwconfig.com/

Since you are looking for PCD you can really order from any dealer in the country.

Adrian Avila (adrian's bmw) is a board sponsor (BMW of South Atlanta) on Bimmerfest and believe would be the closest for you so fair to give him first shot at the sale. We did 2 European Deliveries with him back in 2007 and we are in NJ. Shoot him a PM and he will get back to you.

Good luck.

And FYI the sponsors hang out on the Ask a dealer subforum. Make sure to check it out.

Gone but not forgotten:
2012 550I xDrive GT
2009 X5 35d
2007 335i European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery * ED May 4, 2007 Link to ED Trip Report / PCD July 5th, 2007 Link to Performance Center Re-Delivery Trip Report
2007 X3 European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery
2002 330ci, 1997 328i, 1990 325i

Last edited by The BoatMan; 03-30-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM

I want to thank everyone for all the responses to my question. You've been more than helpful in my quest for my new 535i GT. Once I purchase I will post my experience, price paid and, most importantly, pics of my new ride. Can't wait!!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:

Thanks!!

Joe Long - Sales Manager - Passport BMW - Marlow Heights, Maryland, beat TrueCar prices
on my last two BMW deals including my 550i GT.