Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Rockin' the Desert

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 528e
Question Got a few problems...

My girlfriend just bought a '88 528e for my birthday, and I've replaced the alternator (old one was MIA), but it's not starting. I've tried putting gas in it, and still no luck (fuel gage was below E). I also need some help with the radio code. I've been told to get the serial number off the radio, but there isn't one that says serial number. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Check for spark. If you have spark check for fuel. You can buy a can of starting fluid and spray some in the intake while someone is cranking the engine. Start by cleaning up the electrical connections, especially on the battery, engine ground, the fuses, etc. These cars are prones to electrical issues. Keep us posted. Expect to do some significant maintainance if you plan on regularly driving the car. They're not hard to work on but a little guidance goes a long way.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Rockin' the Desert

Thanks for the help. I've realized that I don't need the radio code to start the car, contrary to what the stoner who sold it said. A code for the main computer might be the cause though. Any clues on how to reset that code? All I've found is something about disconnecting the battery and waiting 15 minutes.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Rockin' the Desert

Angry

Ok, Ive cleaned all electrical connections, checked for spark, and BOY is it getting spark (dad and his old trick of "tell me if it bites" at the last minute). I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, checked all fuel lines for leaks, and still nothing. OBC relays are good, and interchangeable with headlamp and foglamp relays (just some good info to have later down the road), and still nothing.

Anyone know the reset procedure for the OBC? That's what I've narrowed it down to, is the damn anti-theft protocols...
Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 528e automatic
Try this to see if it will work (...works on my '99 Chevy Cavalier):
Turn key to start position and wait 15 to 20 minutes.....then turn off..wait a minute or two then start car...???

Now on my '98 Mazda 626:
Dis-connecting the battery and stepping on the brake pedal for at least 30 seconds will reset the obc. This erases all operating signals received from sensors of operating system of car. Your car must be driven a few miles to 're-learn' these signals in order for proper running of car........However, in your case, I don't think this will help in actually starting your car..????

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2010, 03:00 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissmichaels View Post
Ok, Ive cleaned all electrical connections, checked for spark, and BOY is it getting spark (dad and his old trick of "tell me if it bites" at the last minute). I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, checked all fuel lines for leaks, and still nothing. OBC relays are good, and interchangeable with headlamp and foglamp relays (just some good info to have later down the road), and still nothing.

Anyone know the reset procedure for the OBC? That's what I've narrowed it down to, is the damn anti-theft protocols...
Did you check the fuel pump relay? It's interchangeable with the horn relay.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Rockin' the Desert

I've checked the fuel pump relay, yes, and turning the key to the on or accessory position works for the 3 series, but not the 5. I did some searching and came up with nothing, but my dad's friend, who just so happens to be a mechanic at the Vegas BMW dealership (he failed to mention this sooner?) printed off the reset procedure for it. I'll try that this weekend and keep you guys posted.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Rockin' the Desert

Ok, the alarm is coming online (cops were called by the neighbors), and it's showing the time now, but it still don't want to start. I'm thinking it might just be because of the cold, now (temps are hitting -30F here).
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 525, 1991 535
do you have voltage to the fuel pump? are you getting fuel to the rail? disconnect and repair wiring of aftermarket alarm and get rid of it. these units cause more mystery problems in these cars, always the first thing i do with a car.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Rockin' the Desert

The alarm isn't aftermarket, but built into the OBC. I'm gonna have the mechanic across the street from where I work take a look at it. I've run out of ideas, and nothing so far has done anything to make it start. Time to watch my paycheck spiral the drain...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissmichaels View Post
The alarm isn't aftermarket, but built into the OBC. I'm gonna have the mechanic across the street from where I work take a look at it. I've run out of ideas, and nothing so far has done anything to make it start. Time to watch my paycheck spiral the drain...
Pull the fuse for the alarm. I don't remember which one it is but when it stops snowing I'll go look on my car.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:24 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Pull the fuse for the alarm. I don't remember which one it is but when it stops snowing I'll go look on my car.
Remove fuse #5. It's the second from the bottom on the farthest left hand row. This should eliminate the onboard alarm function. Are you sure that you're GETTING SPARK TO THE PLUGS? Why don't you take off the distributor cap and check its condition and that of the rotor. Some poster recently couldn't get his car to start and then found out the coil wires were reversed. Pull one of the plugs and check its condition. And lastly, make sure your timing belt is not broken or maybe even jumped.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Rockin' the Desert

Ok, I'll try the fuse, but as for getting spark, it felt like it blew my hand off when I grabbed the screwdriver (dammit dad...). I've checked the rotor, and it's in pretty good shape. I'll have to order the plugs and wires (might be a good idea to do a tune-up, anyway). As for the timing belt, where's it located? My girlfriend's cat likes to chew on paper, and the repair manual was no exception (I swear, that cat is possessed by Satan himself).
Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Rockin' the Desert

I hate to disappoint everyone, but I couldn't get that car running no matter what I did. The mechanic across the street from the tire shop I worked at couldn't find any problems, so I was back to searching myself. After about 6 months of chasing down every lead I could find, I finally decided that if I couldn't get the stock components to work, I'll put some stuff in that would.

A tube frame chassis is tough to build, but we managed it. On that chassis sat a 350 Chevy motor which fit nicely in the engine compartment of the BMW. Bolted to the motor was a 4-speed manual transmission. The hardest part of putting that in was cutting a hole in the floorpan for the clutch.

After beefing up the suspension (custom built chassis means you can put anything you want on it) with parts from 4 totaled Camaros, we fitted the car with 13" Brembo disc brakes on all 4 wheels. 17" Enkei wheels with 225/50ZR17 rear and 205/45ZR17 front tires rounded out this custom 'rebuild'.

The car was originally purchased for $200. It sold for $10,000. Not a bad turnaround, if you ask me.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 PM
catso

There's alot of E28's for sale. $10,000 gives you a nice budget for one.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
You probably have a bad OBC relay. There is a way of disabling it (from a post in Bimmerforums):

Use a wire and jump the two green wires (pins 3 & 4) in connector C2 (the other wires in C2 are BR and BR/YL). If there is no voltage at pin 3 of C2, the ignition switch may be bad (both terminal 15 on the coil and pin 3 of C2 are powered from pin 15 of the ignition switch).

Check, with the key on, for voltage at terminal 15 (+) on the coil. If no voltage, the ignition switch or wires to it may be bad. Wiggle the ignition switch to see if it is intermittent.

Hope this helps!