Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 AM
samberken samberken is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: VW Golf tdi
Does the 5 GT feel big

This is my first car that is longer than 192 inches. I prefer smaller cars but I like cars that are appreciated by a smaller population. I come from a E60 ( 2006 5 series touring), will there be a big difference in terms of handling , city/highway driving parking etc? Thanks.
__________________
2012 BMW 535 GT
2010 VW golf tdi
2006 530xti
1973 Alfa GTV 2000
2005 Lotus Elise
2001 BMW X5 3.0
1996 Dodge Caravan
1992 Toyota Camry V6
1984 Merkur Xr4t
1977 Rabbit diesel
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,376
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by samberken View Post
This is my first car that is longer than 192 inches. I prefer smaller cars but I like cars that are appreciated by a smaller population. I come from a E60 ( 2006 5 series touring), will there be a big difference in terms of handling , city/highway driving parking etc? Thanks.
I owned a F07 550i equipped w/sport/adaptive suspension and 20" wheels for a year and drove it almost 20K miles.
I traded an E93 335i 6MT for my GT. Prior to my E93 I owned a E39Touring for a number of years. I traded the GT for my M3.

I will never forget my first impressions of my 550i GT:
- WOW - this thing is HUGE
- this is the most comfortable car I have ever driven
- gorgeous interior
- Euro inspired exterior that looks like no other

I too prefer smaller cars, but I purchased my GT for my family. When I was drove my GT home the first night through rain and major construction zones, I thought, this was a HUGE mistake - literally. As the weather and road conditions deteriorated I found myself gaining confidence - the GT maybe large, but amazingly, the GT drives small. During my year of ownership, I frequently drove my GT in the mountains of WVA and Western MD - the GT's adaptive sport suspension inspired confidence. In general, I always found the GT to be an engaging ride in terms of both power and handling given its size - realizing the GT is not a sports car. (BTW - my GT had standard hydraulic steering which was very tactile and communicative).

Parking? - I live in the DC area - parking sensors made it easy, but you are not going to fit a GT into a space sized for a Mini. Remember, the GT is seven series architecture.

You like cars "appreciated by a smaller population" - you march to a different drummer....
well, you have found your new home. I always contended that the GT is for people who are independent minded and not ruled by the opinion of others. The opinion of many 'festers tends to be predictable, reflexive, and often uninformed. In the wild, my GT engendered frequent positive comments and thumbs up. Indeed, kids asked my permission if they could take a pic. The GT has road presence. At times I felt I was driving a BMW exotic.

The GT is a unique offering, unlike any other. The GT engenders passion - for those who are swayed by the GT's charms - there are few alternatives.
__________________
BMWCCA

Last edited by Capobranco; 02-26-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 AM
mpress mpress is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: white plains ny
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 405
Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
i just love it when capo preaches the unique qualities of the GT.

i test drove the gt a dozen times specifically to determine how big it would drive.. coming off of an X5 its actually 4" longer but drives and feels much smaller.. the adaptive steering makes the car noticeably more nimble both in high speed traffic weaving or in slow around town errand running. i find parking it easier then the x5 due to the 4 wheel steering.. Don't get me wrong I'm not ever confused thinking I'm in my 911 but you certainly could forget your in a 7 series sized auto and think your back in a 335...

BMW nor any other car dealer has offered such a true "crossover" auto. the luxury and interior comfort of a 7, the handling of a 5 and the cargo area of an x5...

I have gone back to my dealer twice since my car went into production to take the managers car for a day just to keep me sane while i wait for mine to arrive. another 7-10 days and I'm sure ill be back on the site preaching my own first hand feelings of the car...
__________________
HP=s

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM
samberken samberken is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: VW Golf tdi
Thanks Capo and mpress. This is a great forum because of guys like you. I bought the car for the people who will be sitting at the back- my parents and my college kids.
__________________
2012 BMW 535 GT
2010 VW golf tdi
2006 530xti
1973 Alfa GTV 2000
2005 Lotus Elise
2001 BMW X5 3.0
1996 Dodge Caravan
1992 Toyota Camry V6
1984 Merkur Xr4t
1977 Rabbit diesel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
phil32 phil32 is offline
Registered User
Location: Amsterdam
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 530d GT
I bought also my car for my kids who are taller than 1.8 m. Coming from a Mercedes Class E there is even more space in the back.
With the adaptative drive, although the car is longer than the Mercedes, the turning radius is about the same. The visibility in front and in the back is a bit worst that the Mercedes but with parking sensors and rear camera it is quite easy to drive around town.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
mpress mpress is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: white plains ny
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 405
Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
well then you are a much nicer person then most... your parents and kids are very lucky..my 19 and 16 year old daughters both LOVED the back seat when they came with me for one of the test drives. GT also has 2 power outlets for the back seat so they both can have their phones powered and text their hearts out while back there.

i had my dealers managers GT for a weekend back in dec while my older daughter was home from college and i drove her and a friend into NYC.. the two of them had the window shades up the seats back and you would have thought they were corporate presidents driving in for work.. all i needed was a white shirt black tie and a drivers cap to complete the picture..

my car service that i take to the airport often sends a 750 iL and i can tell you the GT is MORE comfortable in the back.
__________________
HP=s

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM
wchewbaka wchewbaka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 116
Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
The only comments I can add is that in spirited handling the GT has very limited weight transfer making it feel much smaller and tight handling. It does not lean and corners flat. The active technology does the job. In order to get similar handling in the past I used lower springs, polyurethane bushings, and big roll bars.... consequently the everyday usage suffered with the hard ride. The GT just rides so smoothly and handles so well - a paradox.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
samberken samberken is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: VW Golf tdi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil32 View Post
I bought also my car for my kids who are taller than 1.8 m. Coming from a Mercedes Class E there is even more space in the back....
.
I was also considering the E class station wagon. My understanding is that there are more leg room for rear passenger. Did you mean the trunk space?
__________________
2012 BMW 535 GT
2010 VW golf tdi
2006 530xti
1973 Alfa GTV 2000
2005 Lotus Elise
2001 BMW X5 3.0
1996 Dodge Caravan
1992 Toyota Camry V6
1984 Merkur Xr4t
1977 Rabbit diesel
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2012, 02:42 PM
jadnashuanh jadnashuanh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 696
Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Keep in mind that in the GT, the seatbacks recline and the seat itself can move front/back as well. Then, consider that there's a huge amount of room up front, so a little consideration from up there, and you can get a lot of room for the rear passengers. Great for two, not so great for three, but most cars are lousy for three in the back anyways. Now, if you could buy it in the USA without the panoramic sunroof, you wouldn't have to deal with the dished out roof liner, and if you're tall, that can make a difference, but legroom, not a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 AM
phil32 phil32 is offline
Registered User
Location: Amsterdam
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 530d GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by samberken View Post
I was also considering the E class station wagon. My understanding is that there are more leg room for rear passenger. Did you mean the trunk space?
The GT has more leg room when the seats are moved to the back (about 10 cm). If there are pushed to the front, my impression is that the Mercedes had more space, although I did not measure it. The trunk is clearly smaller in the GT. I had a class E station wagon that had a huge trunk.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 PM
car-fan's Avatar
car-fan car-fan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoFla
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
I owned a F07 550i equipped w/sport/adaptive suspension and 20" wheels for a year and drove it almost 20K miles.
I traded an E93 335i 6MT for my GT. Prior to my E93 I owned a E39Touring for a number of years. I traded the GT for my M3.

I will never forget my first impressions of my 550i GT:
- WOW - this thing is HUGE
- this is the most comfortable car I have ever driven
- gorgeous interior
- Euro inspired exterior that looks like no other

I too prefer smaller cars, but I purchased my GT for my family. When I was drove my GT home the first night through rain and major construction zones, I thought, this was a HUGE mistake - literally. As the weather and road conditions deteriorated I found myself gaining confidence - the GT maybe large, but amazingly, the GT drives small. During my year of ownership, I frequently drove my GT in the mountains of WVA and Western MD - the GT's adaptive sport suspension inspired confidence. In general, I always found the GT to be an engaging ride in terms of both power and handling given its size - realizing the GT is not a sports car. (BTW - my GT had standard hydraulic steering which was very tactile and communicative).

Parking? - I live in the DC area - parking sensors made it easy, but you are not going to fit a GT into a space sized for a Mini. Remember, the GT is seven series architecture.

You like cars "appreciated by a smaller population" - you march to a different drummer....
well, you have found your new home. I always contended that the GT is for people who are independent minded and not ruled by the opinion of others. The opinion of many 'festers tends to be predictable, reflexive, and often uninformed. In the wild, my GT engendered frequent positive comments and thumbs up. Indeed, kids asked my permission if they could take a pic. The GT has road presence. At times I felt I was driving a BMW exotic.

The GT is a unique offering, unlike any other. The GT engenders passion - for those who are swayed by the GT's charms - there are few alternatives.
+1000000
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top/Lux Seating/Heated Seats/Style 356/Apps/Prem. Sound(retired)
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/+ all optionsexcept sunroof/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF mirror caps
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 PM
magnumforc magnumforc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 199
Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by samberken View Post
This is my first car that is longer than 192 inches. I prefer smaller cars but I like cars that are appreciated by a smaller population. I come from a E60 ( 2006 5 series touring), will there be a big difference in terms of handling , city/highway driving parking etc? Thanks.
The GT is so unique that once you get used to the size, as well as a few "blind spots" which are well handled by the camera system option, it's hard to get used to a smaller vehicle.

It does everything so well. I've hauled 8 foot long molding pieces from the Home Depot while reflooring the kitchen (yes, they slide right up alongside the console!) and filled up the hatchback with everything from bags of bark chips to suitcases and boxes. All while riding in traditional BMW comfort and handling.

A wonderful vehicle. We have two. Like certain potato chips, one just wasn't enough!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms