Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 x3 35i
sound system echoes

i have the satellite radio, but the same thing happens on fm stations. [haven't checked a.m.] there is a variable echo, not present most of the time but on and off, a word or even whole phrase will repeat. "now a word from our member..from our member stations", "voting in louisiana...ana." and so on. anyone else experiencing this? any ideas what's going on?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Could it be the HD radio signal? Sometime my car does this when I go in and out of HD reception.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
Could it be the HD radio signal? Sometime my car does this when I go in and out of HD reception.
Exactly! Mine does it too... If it annoys you, just turn off the HD signal... That will correct it...
Navigation
Cold Weather
Bmw Apps
Back up camera/ Park Distance Control

2012 X3 28i Alpine White/ Black Nevada
M Sport Package
Convenience package
Premium package
Technology package
Cold weather I
Premium sound
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 X3 35i
I was getting really poor reception on my HD Radio stations in the US including echo's and delays. I finally discovered that you could turn off HD which took care of the issue. I find it difficult to find all the options on the iDrive system.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM

thanks. i turned off hd and the echoes disappeared. but first i, too, had a really hard time finding the hd option in the idrive. you would think it would be under settings somewhere, but that would be too easy, i guess.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
How can I turn off HD

What is the magic to turn off the HD. I tried to figure it out, and no luch
Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 PM

i'm not sure i can reproduce it. you might want to look in the manual. i think i went into the fm station list and chose a station showing hd alternative, then clicked options or just clicked the station and found the hd choice in the next menu. but i'm not sure. i was doing a lot of searching. you'd think it would be in vehicle settings, but if so, you'd think wrong.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
As an engineer for radio going on 25 years, and having installed and run 8 HD transmitter radio installations in both Philly and DC I can honestly say HD radio is a complete waste of money on both the transmitter side and receiver side.

It will never sound as good as they claim and you are experiencing one of the problems: "Blending". This phenomenom is when you pass in and out of digital to analog reception and because there is relatively an 8 second difference in transmission timing it gives you an echoing effect as well as several other undesirable variables.

HD was the right idea, but wrong approach. And, because the decision makers on its implemtation were not engineers but business men that like to make comments like, "I don't care, make it happen" it will never be right.

If you want more in depth reasons why HD is a failed proposition and a waste of money feel free to pm me.

In the meantime change it to analog and you will be much happier.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj356 View Post
What is the magic to turn off the HD. I tried to figure it out, and no luch
Select your HD Radio Station.
Make sure you are in the Radio screen but hitting the Radio Button on iDrive.
Hit the Option button on the iDrive. This should put you in the right pane on the screen.
Scroll down and unselect the option with HD in the description.
Enjoy ....
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
It will never sound as good as they claim and you are experiencing one of the problems: "Blending". This phenomenom is when you pass in and out of digital to analog reception and because there is relatively an 8 second difference in transmission timing it gives you an echoing effect as well as several other undesirable variables.

In the meantime change it to analog and you will be much happier.
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced this problem with HD Radio personally. It's unbelievable that they could sell something with such poor quality in this day and age. The only HD stations I listened too, had the blending problem, and I assume not all stations have it, but I'm grateful I figured out how to turn off HD.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid2 View Post
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced this problem with HD Radio personally. It's unbelievable that they could sell something with such poor quality in this day and age. The only HD stations I listened too, had the blending problem, and I assume not all stations have it, but I'm grateful I figured out how to turn off HD.
Any and all will have it to a lesser or greater degree. HD radio can only be comparatively 10% max of the stations total power.

The other big problem is that because engineers have to compensate for blending they must "Dumb Down" the sound quality so as not to have a blaring difference when the reciever moves in and out of the digital to analog reception pattern.

If you remember when cell phones moved from analog to digital and you would get that huge spike in sound quality difference? It's pretty much the same thing. And like phones the only way to fix this is to go all digital.

This won't happen as the digital carrier interferes with so many other frequencies at full power.

Your best bet for diverse audio content is using a smart phone.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more