Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: e39 2003 525i
A few months ago it was around $400. This doubled price is the mark up price. "free" camera?? I only ask if you can lower the price so it is more reasonable instead of making more than 250% profit than what it originally was.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
I have never seen any dynavin unit for anywhere near $400. Where did you see that price from? I've been eyeing them for a couple of years now and they have always been roughly around $800 or $900.

2000 528i steptronic
Blacked out
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to ottonavigps
Mein Auto: 03 325 BMW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedninja View Post
ok well i have the system finally in but its def not plug and play... i took it to best buy and it took them 3 1/2 hours ....its a good system as soon as i get this annoying screen from coming and going i think its a pdc display.... another thing thats kinda bad is not enough detail info on how to do something things if something is not working right .... so as soon as i figure it out i will post pics...
Nooo why did you install at Best buy. We have had many customer complaints that were installing it there. When they switched over to a mom and pops shop it took them about an hour and no problems. To be honest, most guys at Best Buy have minimal knowledge or high school. Any one who really knew what they were doing wouldn't take $12 or whatever to install one of these. Reason being, people seem to like to charge a little more for their knowledge. As for the pdc display try and accessing it through the factory mode. Go to AUX and press 9 and see if you can turn it of there.

I thought you were going to install your self given that you were a forum member. Sorry should of warned you bout where to install it. Seems like car audio shops seem to install these much easier and efficiently. Try and give me a call tomorrow morning. 909 673 0098
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
This unit looks excellent man, flows with the car. will the OBC still works fine with the unit?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 540i Sport
I also have the dynavin in my 540. Sound quality is great,Bluetooth works very well. But my favorite part about the unit that the gentleman is offering you guys is playing your music. I have over 5000 songs on my phone and always use a aux and cord.this unit you can actually play your music through Bluetooth not having the stupid wires everywhere and it sounds amazing! I give it 2 thumbs up!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 540i Sport
And steering wheel controls work
Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to ottonavigps
Mein Auto: 03 325 BMW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianoe39 View Post
This unit looks excellent man, flows with the car. will the OBC still works fine with the unit?

OBC will work with the unit.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Just ordered one! I will post pics and write about how everything works out once I get it installed!

2000 528i steptronic
Blacked out
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i m-sport
Email sent to OP.. Interested.. Thanks for posting yours as sample, jayster0966.. If you're only near me, i'd like to check it in person..
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmt3 View Post
Email sent to OP.. Interested.. Thanks for posting yours as sample, jayster0966.. If you're only near me, i'd like to check it in person..
You can check it out if your ever down in the Garden Grove area, no problem.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 530iA & Prado
If I understood correctly this unit does have every function that my 16:9 sceen control? I mean especially: PDC, webasto-independent heating, steering wheel functions, settings on dash/board displey (clock, date, consumption, etc), timer for ventilation...? I dont need 6cd changer, TV modul or oem telephone since this can replace them but I would really missed those above :-)
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPro View Post
If I understood correctly this unit does have every function that my 16:9 sceen control? I mean especially: PDC, webasto-independent heating, steering wheel functions, settings on dash/board displey (clock, date, consumption, etc), timer for ventilation...? I dont need 6cd changer, TV modul or oem telephone since this can replace them but I would really missed those above :-)
I think the OBC functions are more "simplified" than than the OEM unit. "Simplified" meaning less functions.And I believe you cannot reset from the Dynavin anymore. It's just a display basically. But let's let the vendor chime in and let him explain this.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby

Last edited by doru; 04-03-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 98 528I
I see that you guys are in Socal, do you guys install? How much?

Or do you know of a shop locally that has installed this?

Is local pick up possible?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App
Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Any of you guys interested on a group buy? We need to get at least 7, for us to get it at $800 + free back up camera + free shipping. Let me know as i'm planning to get one...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
If any of you guys in SoCal area feel uncomfortable doing the install, give me PM and I can help you out. Hardest part is removing the old cage. Done 3 of these already, so pretty much know the short cuts. Food for thought. As long as schedule allows, I am willing to help out fellow forum members.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525i 5spd
Quote:
Any of you guys interested on a group buy? We need to get at least 7, for us to get it at $800 + free back up camera + free shipping. Let me know as i'm planning to get one...

What do you mean by a group buy? You canít share 1 unit j/k
You mean buy a few at once? I would be down but if youíre looking at 7 units that price needs to go down and Iíll be part of the negotiation

That would already make us 2
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottonavigps View Post
I can offer a forum group buy discount for $800 + Free camera + Free shipping. I'll have this group buy option open for a week or two. Keep posted as I will be posting pictures of the unit actually installed. Had a couple customer will-call the item and requested for install pictures.
I emailed the OP and he told me we need to buy AT LEAST 7 units to be able to get it at $800 (plus tax!)...

Now we need 5 more and we're good to go! Thanks in advance to jayster0966 for his offer about the installation. Lets do this!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I emailed the OP and he told me we need to buy AT LEAST 7 units to be able to get it at $800 (plus tax!)...

Now we need 5 more and we're good to go! Thanks in advance to jayster0966 for his offer about the installation. Lets do this!!!

how the sound quality compare, to a alpine or pioneer ( top line ) ?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to juanchi29
Mein Auto: 2000 323ci
I thought there was a cable for dsp owners such as myself ? And a new amp was needed for dsp?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525i 5spd
Quote:
That kinda contradicts his original post and his updates on the sale by reading the thread, if the OP is looking for "a group sale", I am expecting he lowers that price down a bit more, as I am sure he can, because there is no significant difference than the original price he was offering. If he wants to sell 7 at once (I'll be one of them) I am expecting a better deal and will not pay tax. I seen the exact same unit sale elsewhere for the same/similar amount (free shipping etc..) so that's the OP's call if he wants more business at once. (That price is good for maybe 2-3 units but definitely not 7 IMO)

Last edited by RomanEmpire; 04-04-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Quote:
how the sound quality compare, to a alpine or pioneer ( top line ) ?
In comparison an Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, Clarion or Pioneer etc sounds significantly better.

These Cheap Chinese made replacement units use generic internal IC's and components and from the cheapest end of currently availability to manufacture these head units. Whilst those components are better than the OEM stuff from 10-12 years ago, they don't come anywhere close to premium brand head units in terms of sound quality.

It is all subjective though, if you do indeed love high and excellent sound quality reporduction, then these replacement units wouldn't even be considered. If you just want something to listen to, with a long features list then they sound good enough.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
In comparison an Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, Clarion or Pioneer etc sounds significantly better.

These Cheap Chinese made replacement units use generic internal IC's and components and from the cheapest end of currently availability to manufacture these head units. Whilst those components are better than the OEM stuff from 10-12 years ago, they don't come anywhere close to premium brand head units in terms of sound quality.

It is all subjective though, if you do indeed love high and excellent sound quality reporduction, then these replacement units wouldn't even be considered. If you just want something to listen to, with a long features list then they sound good enough.

Cheers, Dennis!
Thank you Dennis, that what i wanted to know, I love the stock look, but for the price i can get a high end alpine, pioneer.

Why this units are so expensive?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you Dennis, that what i wanted to know, I love the stock look, but for the price i can get a high end alpine, pioneer.

Why this units are so expensive?
Maybe because its an all-in-one multimedia system...

For me, looks come in first before the sounds. Im sure those alpines and pioneers are far more superior when it comes to sound quality, but what I like about this unit is having the navi, back up cam, etc.. on just 1 clean set-up... OEM look..

Old 04-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I would go aftermarket.
Not sure about Dynavin. They're priced kinda steep, for the same amount of $$ I would think hard and maybe go Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine. Or similar. Dennis nailed it.
Then you need the bezel & connectors to hook up the steering wheel. This is a non-issue. Metra has all you need to adapt the aftermarket double din.
If you look at the reputable brands, they have more features, and the box that contains the electronics is quite big - in stark contrast with the Dynavin. Also, the reputable brands have no issues with the units.
I have currently a Hualigan - similar to Dynavin. The difference is, the price was much lower and I was OK with that. It reflects what you get.
Take a look at both Hualigan & Dynavin - from the side, and then take a look at a good brand listed above, which are in the 800-900 bux bracket with a 7" screen. The electronic box is big compared to the Chinese stuff. This make me think the electronics stuffed in there are better, and probably a different more robust stup as well.
Again, think hard what you want. Crutchfield will list the units that will fit your car. Try to stay with the 7" screen.
If you want OEM looks, go with Dynavin. The unit matches nicely the cockpit. If you want quality and reliability, well.....see above. But the bezel from Metra does not look that good. Dennis has a different bezel that seems not be available anymore. That one looks much better. Find one like his and I would not look back.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM

^^^You had me think twice there...