Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 PM
alphaod alphaod is offline
Mmmmmm…
Location: NYC/Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 350
Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Disable easy entry/exit steering wheel movement

I hate the fact the steering wheel moves out of the way every time I turn off the car. It stopped doing this a while ago and I thought I disabled it somehow, but couldn't remember if I did. I prefer the manual adjustment levers for this very reason.

Well today I was trying to adjust my steering wheel when I noticed it no longer adjusted. Moving the little lever did nothing. Then I listened closely and I found the steering wheel was trying to move, but something was stuck. I turned off my car and I noticed the same sound. So my conclusion was my steering wheel adjustment broke, which is why it stopped moving out of the way. I wanted to adjust the wheel, so later in giving up, I hit my steering really hard.

Now the problem: I can adjust my steering wheel again, and it moved out of the way when I turn off my car.

Is there way I can disable this? I would hate to be somewhere remote, only to find the steering wheel stuck in the upright and out of the way position.
__________________
2013 Range Rover S/C
2009 X5 48i - Sold

Last edited by alphaod; 04-03-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: grammar!
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 AM
ductman's Avatar
ductman ductman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Eastern Pa
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 776
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I hate the fact the steering wheel moves out of the way every time I turn off the car. It stopped doing this a while ago and I thought I disabled it somehow, but couldn't remember if I did. I prefer the manual adjustment levers for this very reason.

Well today I was trying to adjust my steering wheel when I noticed it no longer adjusted. Moving the little lever did nothing. Then I listened closely and I found the steering wheel was trying to move, but something was stuck. I turned off my car and I noticed the same sound. So my conclusion was my steering wheel adjustment broke, which is why it stopped moving out of the way. I wanted to adjust the wheel, so later in giving up, I hit my steering really hard.

Now the problem: I can adjust my steering wheel again, and it moved out of the way when I turn off my car.

Is there way I can disable this? I would hate to be somewhere remote, only to find the steering wheel stuck in the upright and out of the way position.
Unfortunately no, I also would like the ability to disable this as I know down the road this motor will fail, on my wife's Infinity it can be disabled as well as my previous MDX.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
AndyX5d AndyX5d is offline
Registered User
Location: Libertyville, IL
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.5d
I've had mine for two days and I already want this to be disabled. It seems like it takes forever for it to move anyway, and like you I know it's just a matter of time before that thing is toast.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
I agree. It would seem to be very easy for BMW to provide a disable option in the "settings" portion of the i-drive software. Even my Mother's 2008 Taurus offers a disable option for this feature.

I'm constantly surprised how far behind the times BMW is with their software. I guess that's one area where the U.S.-based manufacturers still have an advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 PM
AndyX5d AndyX5d is offline
Registered User
Location: Libertyville, IL
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.5d
seems like there would be a fuse that one could take out. Only problem is that it more than likely does more than just the adjustment motor.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyX5d View Post
seems like there would be a fuse that one could take out. Only problem is that it more than likely does more than just the adjustment motor.
True.

But even if it only did the steering wheel, that would disable the ability to adjust the steering at all -- I just want to get rid of the automatic exit/entry motion, not make it so other-sized people cannot drive the vehicle without replacing a fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM
BenF12400 BenF12400 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 275
Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
True.

But even if it only did the steering wheel, that would disable the ability to adjust the steering at all -- I just want to get rid of the automatic exit/entry motion, not make it so other-sized people cannot drive the vehicle without replacing a fuse.
The motor should last a long time - we have a 2004Rx and a 2008 RX and the motors have thus far had no problems (each vehicle has over 125000 miles). Don't see why a German car would have a shoddier motor.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
Don't see why a German car would have a shoddier motor.
Do a Google on BMW window mechanisms... or Auto transmissions... or radiators... etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms