Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 f12 was 2010 E63
Special Order or buy off the dealer lot

I've noticed a few post discussing buying off the lot or ordering a build to order 650. I thought I would start a thread to discuss the merits and considerations of buying off the lot or special ordering. My first consideration has been time. Instant gratification with compromises. In my case we are a small enough market we only see one 650i at the dealer at any one time. So really no choice. I chose patience and getting a car configured the way I want. Hence my bias.

Ordering a car is an exercise in patience. It just takes a long time to get it. Having ordered my fourth BMW and third 650i I have an idea of range of time it takes at key stages. Once you place your order with the dealer the dealer has to use up a production slot for your car or borrow one from another dealer. As an example in my case I ordered my soon to be 2012 on 2/21/12. The build slot was a month later at the end of March. Production started March 24 and was complete on 4/2/12. Since I live in Colorado all BMWs are shipped to California which is around 25-35 days on a boat from Bremerhaven. If you're on the East Coast the boat schedule is about 10 days less.

Since I lease my 2010 650i and the lease is up at the end of May I am just fine with the current schedule which puts the 2012 in my hands from Mid-May to the first week of June, depending on when it gets on a boat. I really like the 2010 I've been driving for almost three years so its just not a big deal.

The schedule looks like this:
  • Within a few days of placing your order with the dealer he will place an order on BMW filling up one of his allocated slots.
  • The build will be assigned a day to enter the production que. From the production que start to auto being shipped to the port is a range of 29 to 50 days. The range is wide because in some cases the German government inspects these cars. My 2010 was delayed 3 weeks for that reason.
  • The delivery to the US West Coast is roughly 30 days give or take a few. It really depends how fast the boat can travel. I think you can safely subtract 10 days less to the East coast
  • You need to then add a week waiting for a boat and an additional week for transport to your dealer.
  • Your dealer also needs a few days to get the car ready for you. They have to clean it, take the spring blocks out, lower the tires pressure, and a whole host of other clean ups for you to receive a near pristine car.
  • Total time from order placement to delivery 64 to 91 days.

2012 650i xDrive|Vermillion Red Metallic | Cinnamon Brown Nappa Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | ARS | 20" Wheels | Active Cruise Control | HUD | Night Vision | LED Lights | Heated seats | Heated Steering Wheel | Ski bag | Active front seats | Premium hi-fi system | Satellite radio | Plus more

Former ride 2010 Deep Sea Blue 650i

Last edited by pan; 04-04-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Ads by Google