Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Replacing corroded brake lines

My indie mechanic just gave me a price of $1500 to replace all brake lines on my '03 3.0 due to leak in one and extensive corrosion of others. Anyone have this done, and if so how much? Any other options to total replacement? Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i, '02 X5 3.0i
I had the same problem with the '02 we bought last fall. Long story, but I didn't notice fluid leak until after I had commited to buy vehicle. Original estimate was for $1,700. I work at dealership, and mechanic/service dept worked with me, and my final cost was $900 for all the lines from the front distribution block to the rear wheels. The parts alone cost less than $200., but they need to drop the rear suspension to get to the rear lines, so the labor cost is high. The service advisor told me that the X5 E53 series is the only BMW model with this problem, and they see a lot of them.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Thanks for the info TechWrench. It appears to be a labor intensive job. My indie is replacing the orginal steel lines with a copper alloy line that is supposed to not corrode and meets requirements for pressure for brake lines. It may be the shield protection that is trapping moisture and salt. Do you know how the post x53's were designed to stop the problem? I guess based on your experience the $1500 is unrealistic. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540i, '02 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
Thanks for the info TechWrench. It appears to be a labor intensive job. My indie is replacing the orginal steel lines with a copper alloy line that is supposed to not corrode and meets requirements for pressure for brake lines. It may be the shield protection that is trapping moisture and salt. Do you know how the post x53's were designed to stop the problem? I guess based on your experience the $1500 is unrealistic. Thanks again.
Not sure exactly why it is happening on the E53's, but from what I have seen and heard from the techs at my dealer the corrosion is most often found in two areas. At or arround the connection points between sections of line (unions), and where the lines are supported to the frame. According to the techs, since the other models also use unions and common mounting points, they feel the method of coating the lines is the most likely cause. As I understand it, the lines were outsourced by BMW to outside manufacturers, and the E53 series lines were possibly built to different specs than others. Not sure about that, but it seems like the best explaination I have heard so far.

In any case, I have had to replace rusted brake lines in many vehicles before, but all of them were much older than this one. And, I live in upstate NY, where they use road salt a lot in the winter, which anyone knows causes serious corrosion problems with all vehicles. I'm not happy it happened, but glad I found it before the wife started driving it.