Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Sport Suspension

My sales rep can't answer this question so I wondered if someone here might be in the know. He has worked for BMW for 20 years and is renowned for his product knowledge, so the fact that he can't answer this is really discouraging!

I'm wanting to get an X3 35i and I am moving to that from a 335i Coupe with the Sport package. I am a real active driver-I bought the car because of how it feels and drives and handles, first, and everything else was secondary.

In moving to the X3 35i, I don't want the Sport Activity package because it includes the S-line aluminum trim and I don't want the M package because of the super fat steering wheel and the color selection.

So the question that my dealer can't answer, is does the 35i have the sport suspension as standard? They have one on their floor with the M package and the first thing under the M package list is "Sport Suspension Delete" but there is no other line items about suspension.

So that is another thing that is leading us to believe that the base 35i without the Sport or M packages does indeed have the sport suspension.

If anyone knows how to find this information for certain, I'd really appreciate it.

It's still really shocking to me that my sales rep can't answer this or find the answer.
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Wabbajack, there has been plenty of discussions about suspension on the X3, i.e. what models come with what suspension.

Basically all X3 have the same suspension in US/Canada unless the dynamic dampers are ordered. I believe there may be difference suspension on the various trim in Europe but you'll have to what for a European member to chime in.

Have a look a the chart below.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Awesome! Thank you.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
For the US: The only way to get an upgraded suspension is to get the Dynamic Handling Package, which is offered independently of the M sport package and contains the electronically adjustable suspension (EDC)

BMW has started a trend of offering the electronic adjustable suspension as a separate package from all others; this best reflects American consumer tastes.

A "sport suspension" is not offered for North America on the X3. All other packages do not include suspension upgrades by default.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 build 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
For the US: The only way to get an upgraded suspension is to get the Dynamic Handling Package, which is offered independently of the M sport package and contains the electronically adjustable suspension (EDC)

BMW has started a trend of offering the electronic adjustable suspension as a separate package from all others; this best reflects American consumer tastes.

A "sport suspension" is not offered for North America on the X3. All other packages do not include suspension upgrades by default.
To get the Dynamic Handling Package, it is gonna cost you $1,400. You will be able to choose between Normal, Sport and Sport 1 suspension. I got one for my 2013 model X3 build 35i car.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The Dynamic Handling Package is fantastic. The shift are shorter, suspension is tighter and the steering wheel is also more responsive.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Thank you both. I will be ordering next week and have determined that I can get what I want aesthetically by foregoing the Sport or M packages but getting the Dynamic Handling package and all will be perfect. I'm starting to get a bit excited, although a bit sad to be giving up my 2011 335i Coupe that I got on European Delivery two years ago. But alas, I realized after two winters back in the Colorado Mountains that an SUV is the only way to go, and the X3 gives me really the best of both world in an SUV footprint.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM

In the CO mountains, are you sure that you don't want an Outback, LOL?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM

Ewww! Why on earth would I want one of those? LOL
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 AM

It seems like half of the CO people I know swear by their Outback for winter mountain driving. Evangelists is the best way to describe them. However, the two that came East this winter really wanted to try my X3... Enjoy yours!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
I can get what I want aesthetically by foregoing the Sport or M packages....
Just so long as you don't mind sitting on flat-as-a-board seats.....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Just so long as you don't mind sitting on flat-as-a-board seats.....
Actually I went to the dealer the other day just to sit in the non-sport seats and found them to be very comfortable. I would much rather give up the adjustable side bolsters than to have to deal with the super fat and awkward (for me) M-sport steering wheel. And I never use the paddle shifters since the new design a few years ago anyway—I can barely reach them and I hate that I have to consciously think "left is down, right is up" or whatever it is. I loved the older ones I had on my 2007 335i that were longer and each side had up and down—true paddle shifters, if you ask me.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
It seems like half of the CO people I know swear by their Outback for winter mountain driving. Evangelists is the best way to describe them. However, the two that came East this winter really wanted to try my X3... Enjoy yours!
LOL.. yeah, they have sort of a cult following. But not even remotely the same type of customer as one who drives Bimmers and not even close to a similar car/ride.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM

Well I did some more test driving and drove an M sport version back to back with a base model and the difference was dramatic, and I realized that I am trying to get as close to the driving experience that I have with my 335i Sport Pkg coupe as possible. So M it is going to be and I'll just have to get used to the beefy steering wheel.

However, I am confused about one thing and not finding the concrete answer in the catalog or online... Does the M package automatically include the Dynamic Handling Package? DHP is still an option in the BYO configurator but M package says it includes performance control, etc. but still allows me to add DHP for another $1300. I dont' get why that would be if it's included in the M package.

Last edited by Wabbajack; 04-07-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:31 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
Well I did some more test driving and drove an M sport version back to back with a base model and the difference was dramatic, and I realized that I am trying to get as close to the driving experience that I have with my 335i Sport Pkg coupe as possible. So M it is going to be and I'll just have to get used to the beefy steering wheel.

However, I am confused about one thing and not finding the concrete answer in the catalog or online... Does the M package automatically include the Dynamic Handling Package? DHP is still an option in the BYO configurator but M package says it includes performance control, etc. but still allows me to add DHP for another $1300. I dont' get why that would be if it's included in the M package.
The only way to get adjustable dampers is with the dhp option.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

The M sportpack for North America doesn't include suspension changes, only cosmetic.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 AM

Ok. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
One of the things I love on my X3 is the fat beefy steering wheel. I recently drove the new 335 sport version and it felt wierd not being able to have the added grip the fatter steering wheel offers.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The M sportpack for North America doesn't include suspension changes, only cosmetic.
Which is why the package content listing for the U.S. market includes that confusing item "sport suspension delete." In other words, our special M sport package is an M sport package that omits that feature. In place of the reasonably-priced plain vanilla sport suspension, we are offered an optional and expensive electronic dynamic handling package with whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Although I have not driven an X3 with the DHP, I'm sure it's great. For long-term durability, though, I suspect a plain sport suspension would be better while still providing good handling.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 04-08-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Same here north of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Which is why the package content listing for the U.S. market includes that confusing item "sport suspension delete." In other words, our special M sport package is an M sport package that omits that feature. In place of the reasonably-priced plain vanilla sport suspension, we are offered an optional and expensive electronic dynamic handling package with whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Although I have not driven an X3 with the DHP, I'm sure it's great. For long-term durability, though, I suspect a plain sport suspension would be better while still providing good handling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	320316  

Last edited by lbjgh; 04-08-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Americans don't like normal sport suspensions (I've probably repeated this many times). Many states neglect road maintenance and only a very small proportion of buyers actually drive in a manner and in locations where the benefits of a non-variable sport suspension would be noticed. Just look at all the complaints about pothole explosions on the 3er forum.

EDC is supposed to be "best of both worlds" and is an easier sell. No matter that 8 years down the line it costs more to repair. I prefer a regular sport suspension too; when you start cranking over 150-160+ km/h on the "A85" () or hit the backroads it all makes complete sense. Suddenly VDOT's utter neglect of the road doesn't seem so bad.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 04-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Cant see buying the new X3 without the DHP. I drove the 35 several times thinking each time my mind was playing tricks on me, but my current X3 seems to handle better on the turns.

The current X3 felt top heavy and a lot more body roll when entering a circular on ramp to 95.

Even with a bad back I'll take control over mushy ride any day.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Cant see buying the new X3 without the DHP. I drove the 35 several times thinking each time my mind was playing tricks on me, but my current X3 seems to handle better on the turns.

The current X3 felt top heavy and a lot more body roll when entering a circular on ramp to 95.

Did you put the 35i in Sport Mode? Even without DHP it makes a nice difference.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

FWIW, We used to have a non sport 2006 X3 and now have a 2011 35i with the DHP option. When I drove our new X3 over a twisty road that I had previously driven the '06 X3 on, I thought our new X3 cornered better. I had the DHP in the sport setting.

This was counter-intuitive to me since the '06 X3 is a firmer riding car, but I was impressed at how well our new X3 can go around corners.

Thanks
Bruce