Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM
iversonm's Avatar
iversonm iversonm is offline
3 pedals only!
Location: Grosse Ile, Michigan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,666
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Carbon Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo1 View Post
I'd save your money and not get the sport for your wife. Sounds like she'd never know the difference anyway. $1300 is at least a couple car payments or 1/2 years worth of gas...
Also, you can't adjust the side bolsters. The seats are pretty tight too..I'm 5'8, 155 lbs and can feel them on both my sides...I like that, but a lot of people don't. The salesman I am working with is a bigger guy and he struggled to get in and out and he was kinda .... spilling over a bit...
I'm in total agreement with this. Sport package is probably not what your wife is looking for. (not to be a broken record, but be sure to get the heated wheel. It's a no cost option if you get the CWP.)

The side bolsters ARE adjustable however, at least in my 2012. (I hadn't expected this, but there is a rocker switch on the front outboard corner of the seat for this. I found it through dumb luck.) However, the setting varies between tight and really tight. (5'11" 170 for reference)

The sport package also comes with summer tires, so you'll need snow tires to boot in PA.

Not to hijack Jimbo1's thread, but where are you planning to go on your ED?
__________________
2012 E88 128i, Alpine White/Black
2011 E90 328i, Crimson Red/Black
2008 E60 550i, Carbon Black/Natural Brown, ED 2 November 2007 (retired)
2006 E83 X3, Silver Grey/Black, ED 15 May 2006. (retired)
2005 E46 330i, Jet Black/Black (retired)
2002 E46 325i, Electric Red/Black (retired)

Last edited by iversonm; 04-06-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM
terrapen73 terrapen73 is offline
Registered User
Location: Greenville, NC
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: 2012 135i Coupe
With the 6 speed manual transmission you can't get the heated wheel. I think the manual seats do not have adjustable bolsters, but not sure on that. I know on power seats the torso bolsters are adjustable.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-07-2012, 03:40 AM
iversonm's Avatar
iversonm iversonm is offline
3 pedals only!
Location: Grosse Ile, Michigan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,666
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Carbon Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapen73 View Post
With the 6 speed manual transmission you can't get the heated wheel. I think the manual seats do not have adjustable bolsters, but not sure on that. I know on power seats the torso bolsters are adjustable.
My seats are manual, and are adjustable.

The heated wheel cannot be ordered with M-Sport or white trim. Otherwise, you're ok.
__________________
2012 E88 128i, Alpine White/Black
2011 E90 328i, Crimson Red/Black
2008 E60 550i, Carbon Black/Natural Brown, ED 2 November 2007 (retired)
2006 E83 X3, Silver Grey/Black, ED 15 May 2006. (retired)
2005 E46 330i, Jet Black/Black (retired)
2002 E46 325i, Electric Red/Black (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 AM
KlausT KlausT is offline
Registered User
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 525d
Thank you for all the suggestions!

I forgot to clarify the circumstances

We'll be a) leasing for 12k/3yrs and b) moving to SoCal this summer. The car is probably not even going to see much rain. So here is my reasoning after reading your comments:

Heated steering wheel - my wife likes the white interior (with white paint & taupe leatherette), so heated wheel is not an option. Not getting the heated steering wheel also makes the cold weather package $150 cheaper. Those who have it, do you (always) turn it on when driving top down? Would your hands get cold otherwise?

Sport Package:
Tires - I believe the summer tires would make for a better ride. They are wider in the rear as well. I assume the car would even brake a little better. Another potentially good thing is that they will wear less than softer all-season tires. We will lease 12k/3yrs and I am hoping not to have to put on new tires at lease end. A set of tires is much more than the $540 I would pay for the sport package over the three year lease.

Suspension - I like that it is lowered and likely handles a little better in 'emergencies'. I am a little concerned about the comfort loss, though.

Sport Seats - that is the big question. I fear I need to go back to a dealer and try it out. She is petite and I am 5"11' 165. So I imagine when adjusted to give the least support, we might actually like the seats.

Paddle Shifters - I think I will try them out a couple of times and then never use them again...she won't use them.

Shadow Trim & Top Speed Limiter - I couldn't care less
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 AM
jsc's Avatar
jsc jsc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,441
Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausT View Post
Another potentially good thing is that they will wear less than softer all-season tires.
Summer tyres are normally softer than all-seasons, it is highly unlikely that a summer tyre in the same size and driven on in the same way as an all-season will last longer.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
KlausT KlausT is offline
Registered User
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 525d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
Summer tyres are normally softer than all-seasons, it is highly unlikely that a summer tyre in the same size and driven on in the same way as an all-season will last longer.
Thanks for pointing this out! I always thought they weren't as soft as all-season because they don't have to work in low temperature environments... I guess I was wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Bruce128iC's Avatar
Bruce128iC Bruce128iC is offline
Custom User ***le Removed
Location: North Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,294
Mein Auto: 2012 128iC
I don't think you will miss a heated steering wheel if you a moving to so Cal. Also, why not just get heated seats and not the whole cold weather package....you won't need the headlight washers.

Also, you should plan on having to buy at least one full set of tires during your lease term. Run flats don't wear as well as regular tires.

I don't have the sport package on the 128 vert. I have had it on all my other BMWs. I like that the non sport run flats are higher profile than those that come with the sport package. On my 335 coupe, I had to get a full set of tires one time during my lease term (10K/36 mos) and I also had to replace two rear tires at other times due to damage sustained by hitting pot holes. Run flats are very expensive!

You will love the 1 series convertible. I find it 100 times more enjoyable to drive than the 335 and it is very reminiscent of my 2003 330 e46 convertible....which is a GREAT thing!

EDIT: Mine is also a stripper with no options but heated seats and BMW apps. I do wish it had premium package on it as I really miss the passenger side mirror that tilts down when you put the car in reverse. I thought this was standard on all bmws, but it is not. The regular halogens are terrific as well. Not as 'cool' looking as the xenons and without the xenons the led light bars in the tails don't illuminate nor does the eyebrow, but I'm OK with that.
__________________
2012 128iC

Last edited by Bruce128iC; 04-07-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 AM
KlausT KlausT is offline
Registered User
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 525d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce128iC View Post
I don't think you will miss a heated steering wheel if you a moving to so Cal. Also, why not just get heated seats and not the whole cold weather package....you won't need the headlight washers.

Also, you should plan on having to buy at least one full set of tires during your lease term. Run flats don't wear as well as regular tires.

I don't have the sport package on the 128 vert. I have had it on all my other BMWs. I like that the non sport run flats are higher profile than those that come with the sport package. On my 335 coupe, I had to get a full set of tires one time during my lease term (10K/36 mos) and I also had to replace two rear tires at other times due to damage sustained by hitting pot holes. Run flats are very expensive!

You will love the 1 series convertible. I find it 100 times more enjoyable to drive than the 335 and it is very reminiscent of my 2003 330 e46 convertible....which is a GREAT thing!

EDIT: Mine is also a stripper with no options but heated seats and BMW apps. I do wish it had premium package on it as I really miss the passenger side mirror that tilts down when you put the car in reverse. I thought this was standard on all bmws, but it is not. The regular halogens are terrific as well. Not as 'cool' looking as the xenons and without the xenons the led light bars in the tails don't illuminate nor does the eyebrow, but I'm OK with that.
Thanks, looks like as a non performance driver the sport package will not be worth it.

The CWP @ $550 vs. the heated seats @ $500 changes the monthly lease payment by 50 cents - we might as well drive with non dusty headlights...

Good call on the heated steering wheel. We'll keep the white interior trim then.

Yes - a stripper will miss a few nice things. But hey, it's cheaper after all.

Oh, are you using the wind deflector? I'm planning on getting the old one (without design). Our test drive was a bit windy (w/o the deflector).
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Bruce128iC's Avatar
Bruce128iC Bruce128iC is offline
Custom User ***le Removed
Location: North Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,294
Mein Auto: 2012 128iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausT View Post
Thanks, looks like as a non performance driver the sport package will not be worth it.

The CWP @ $550 vs. the heated seats @ $500 changes the monthly lease payment by 50 cents - we might as well drive with non dusty headlights...

Good call on the heated steering wheel. We'll keep the white interior trim then.

Yes - a stripper will miss a few nice things. But hey, it's cheaper after all.

Oh, are you using the wind deflector? I'm planning on getting the old one (without design). Our test drive was a bit windy (w/o the deflector).
Nope, no wind deflector. I drive with the top down 99% of the time but am rarely on the freeway....my commute is on canyon roads over the H'wood hills. I've only had the car since January and have not gone on a long freeway trip yet....hency my s h i t t ty 15.5 average mpg!! Oh also the leatherette rocks! This is my first BMW with 'ette and I'm very impressed with it. And the base stereo is also very good. I've always upgraded to the premium sound in my prior BMWs but the base stereo in the 128 rocks! Don't the headlight washers come on every time you wash the windshield if you have CWP? That would piss me off if the spray gets all over your hood. You will need to wash your windshield a lot here in so cal...it's very dusty.
__________________
2012 128iC

Last edited by Bruce128iC; 04-07-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Andrew*Debbie's Avatar
Andrew*Debbie Andrew*Debbie is offline
resU deretsigeR
Location: Anglesey
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,252
Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
We've got heated seats and heated steering wheel on the e89. I use the steering wheel heat more often than the seat heater. But we live in a cold climate.

Even in So Cal, the heated seats will be nice to have.
__________________
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
KlausT KlausT is offline
Registered User
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 525d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce128iC View Post
Nope, no wind deflector. I drive with the top down 99% of the time but am rarely on the freeway....my commute is on canyon roads over the H'wood hills. I've only had the car since January and have not gone on a long freeway trip yet....hency my s h i t t ty 15.5 average mpg!! Oh also the leatherette rocks! This is my first BMW with 'ette and I'm very impressed with it. And the base stereo is also very good. I've always upgraded to the premium sound in my prior BMWs but the base stereo in the 128 rocks! Don't the headlight washers come on every time you wash the windshield if you have CWP? That would piss me off if the spray gets all over your hood. You will need to wash your windshield a lot here in so cal...it's very dusty.
Great point about the headlight washers - emailed Greg to take out CWP and just put in heated seats. Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoy your 128i!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-07-2012, 01:39 PM
terrapen73 terrapen73 is offline
Registered User
Location: Greenville, NC
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: 2012 135i Coupe
Headlight washers only wash when the headlights are on. If you clean your windshield with the headlights off, you will only wash the windshield.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Bruce128iC's Avatar
Bruce128iC Bruce128iC is offline
Custom User ***le Removed
Location: North Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,294
Mein Auto: 2012 128iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapen73 View Post
Headlight washers only wash when the headlights are on. If you clean your windshield with the headlights off, you will only wash the windshield.
Good to know!
__________________
2012 128iC
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 AM
iversonm's Avatar
iversonm iversonm is offline
3 pedals only!
Location: Grosse Ile, Michigan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,666
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Carbon Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapen73 View Post
Headlight washers only wash when the headlights are on. If you clean your windshield with the headlights off, you will only wash the windshield.
I generally get bitten by the washers at dawn or dusk, when the lights have turned on, and you don't realize it. It would be nice if they could be disabled.

They do work well keeping the salty muck off the headlights in the winter. I might be solving the wrong problem, however. I might be better off ditching the headlight washers and moving to SoCal.
__________________
2012 E88 128i, Alpine White/Black
2011 E90 328i, Crimson Red/Black
2008 E60 550i, Carbon Black/Natural Brown, ED 2 November 2007 (retired)
2006 E83 X3, Silver Grey/Black, ED 15 May 2006. (retired)
2005 E46 330i, Jet Black/Black (retired)
2002 E46 325i, Electric Red/Black (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
terrapen73 terrapen73 is offline
Registered User
Location: Greenville, NC
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: 2012 135i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by iversonm View Post
I generally get bitten by the washers at dawn or dusk, when the lights have turned on, and you don't realize it. It would be nice if they could be disabled.

They do work well keeping the salty muck off the headlights in the winter. I might be solving the wrong problem, however. I might be better off ditching the headlight washers and moving to SoCal.
I never use my automatic light feature, so it that is not an issue for me. From reading on another 1 forum and learning about that, I decided to stick with doing the lights myself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms