Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
No Start after stop

Went out today and drove about 12 miles in mid 70 degree temperatures. Car then sat for about 90 minutes. When I returned and unlocked the door (Comfort Access) I got an extra beep. When I started the car both the instrument display and the Nav Screen display warned me that the vehicle would not restart if I shut it off (had the half orange engine symbol) and the screen stated it would operate at reduced power and should be taken to the nearest BMW Dealer.

I drove it to my dealer, luckily only about 10 miles distant, and it restarted there no problem. The info, remained and the dealer further checked and found there was a differential warning as well as the non-start warning. This is an xDrive 2011 535i GT with only somewhat over 3000 miles.

The 2010 was in yesterday for the fuel sensor recall but this one has had no recall issues.

We're getting too friendly with the dealer, who, incidentally, is outstanding. a loaner at 4PM is hard to find but they did it with grace. BMW of Vista, CA. Kudos!
Ads by Google
Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Glad you were able to make it to the dealer safely under "it's own" power. Having to put one of these cars in neutral to facilitate a tow or to move out of harms way is a mission. I recommend folks acclimate themselves with the process. I went through it with GT #1 car failed with 700 miles on the odo. But that's a whole other story. I am at 21K in GT # 2 (knocking on wood) with no drivetrain issues.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM

Update: Dealer is keeping car for another day. Says the issues with "No Restart" and "Differential Warning" were software glitches and they thoroughly checked vehicle, updated the software (vehicle was Oct 10 Mfg date) and says it was tested by mechanic and service manager with zero probs. However, the buzzing that occurs intermittently when unlocking and at various and sundry other times is going to be investigated. Service advisor says it's becoming a regular issue on the 535 series but not on the 550's and they have no idea why. Our 2010 535i GT never has had it; he says many of the 2011's have it. So...the saga continues. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Finally...this 328 loaner is sooooo small!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Update: Dealer is keeping car for another day. Says the issues with "No Restart" and "Differential Warning" were software glitches and they thoroughly checked vehicle, updated the software (vehicle was Oct 10 Mfg date) and says it was tested by mechanic and service manager with zero probs. However, the buzzing that occurs intermittently when unlocking and at various and sundry other times is going to be investigated. Service advisor says it's becoming a regular issue on the 535 series but not on the 550's and they have no idea why. Our 2010 535i GT never has had it; he says many of the 2011's have it. So...the saga continues. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Finally...this 328 loaner is sooooo small!
Thursday Update: Faulty software issue. "Tech followed test plan for faults stored and received GW code 216655942 to reprogram complete vehicle. Reprogrammed complete vehicle and performed SOS test call and RDC initialization and cleared fault memory. Operation normal after programming."

That apparently solved no start after stop and differential warning issues. INCIDENTALLY...when this reprogram is done....the name BMW Assist goes away on your in-dash screen and is replaced with ConnectedDrive. Under the Office category, my phone contacts have now been imported into that category as well as under the Phone heading. I don't know whether that will import my e-mail contacts since I didn't bring by cell into the garage to check. Would be nice to be able to e-mail both ways, wouldn't it?

Dealer will need vehicle back next week to install special ordered valve for the "buzzing" sound I noted. (Due to long weekend, they can't get it until next Tuesday) They seem to have traced it to a valve assembly and while it is not critical, nor likely to cause breakdown, it is likely to fail sometime down the road and would like to get this cleared as other owners are now beginning to have the same complaint. I suppose if they correct mine they will have a handle on the rest of them. Guinea pig #1. At least I have the GT back for the long weekend.

Last edited by magnumforc; 06-30-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Thursday Update: Faulty software issue. "Tech followed test plan for faults stored and received GW code 216655942 to reprogram complete vehicle. Reprogrammed complete vehicle and performed SOS test call and RDC initialization and cleared fault memory. Operation normal after programming."

That apparently solved no start after stop and differential warning issues. INCIDENTALLY...when this reprogram is done....the name BMW Assist goes away on your in-dash screen and is replaced with ConnectedDrive. Under the Office category, my phone contacts have now been imported into that category as well as under the Phone heading. I don't know whether that will import my e-mail contacts since I didn't bring by cell into the garage to check. Would be nice to be able to e-mail both ways, wouldn't it?

Dealer will need vehicle back next week to install special ordered valve for the "buzzing" sound I noted. (Due to long weekend, they can't get it until next Tuesday) They seem to have traced it to a valve assembly and while it is not critical, nor likely to cause breakdown, it is likely to fail sometime down the road and would like to get this cleared as other owners are now beginning to have the same complaint. I suppose if they correct mine they will have a handle on the rest of them. Guinea pig #1. At least I have the GT back for the long weekend.
That's good news! Glad to hear that they are making progress. Speaking of the iDrive menu changes after reprogram. I noticed the same on my vehicle with BMW Assist being replaced with BMW Connect functions. The BMW connect functionality is cool, I may have to look into upgrading on the GT if possible. I've had the opportunity to play around with it on my MINI. The user interface is pretty intuitive - I happen to like the audible message "read back" function as well as the upgraded IPOD menu(s)

That being said those reprogram sessions are brutal. "In and Out" does not apply
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 07-02-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM

" Previous quote from June 2011: Went out today and drove about 12 miles in mid 70 degree temperatures. Car then sat for about 90 minutes. When I returned and unlocked the door (Comfort Access) I got an extra beep. When I started the car both the instrument display and the Nav Screen display warned me that the vehicle would not restart if I shut it off (had the half orange engine symbol) and the screen stated it would operate at reduced power and should be taken to the nearest BMW Dealer.

I drove it to my dealer, luckily only about 10 miles distant, and it restarted there no problem. The info, remained and the dealer further checked and found there was a differential warning as well as the non-start warning. This is an xDrive 2011 535i GT with only somewhat over 3000 miles."

Here we are 9 months down the line, only 3000 miles further on the clock and once again the same thing. Only this time, the vehicle was parked in the garage all day and when I opened the rear door to grab a jacket, the car dinged once and the dash lit up saying the vehicle would not start if shut off. Hell, it wasn't even running! The next morning, same scenario, same lights, plus the warning that the differential was damaged and the engine would run under reduced power and to get to BMW immediately.

I started and stopped the vehicle ablout a h\alf dozen times, along with making an appointment for Monday with BMW. Now all the warnings are gone except the engine symbol remains on in the full outlined form. Everything seems to run okay.

I'd guess this is yet another software glitch. Sadly, if this is so, this vehicle will be history. I just can't take the chance to be driving a vehicle that is this unreliable at any given time without notice. I was planning a long trip where there are no BMW dealers within hundreds of miles. Just imagine the implications of this occurring and actually being a real failure! We love the pair of these, and the 2010 has been faultless with the exception of the fuel pickup recall. The 2011 Xdrive has let me down twice now and it won't happen a third time.