Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
ND40oz and how often you are above 4400 RPM and for how long going how fast...keep it real? Whatever your personal need the D will deliver, that's that. The 35i is just as good and you wasting your time telling me how great it is, I believe you and hope your are as happy as I am.
Depends on what I'm doing, merging onto a highway or passing I'm going above 4400 rpm. Having some fun on the back roads, same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
I don't know if that ever been tested, but by obeying the physical laws, if there is no speed limit the 35D wil reach higher top speed than 35i and the reason for this is the higher torque that will deliver enough power to overcome the air drag better
I'm trying to figure out why the 35d will reach a higher top speed then the 35i. They're both available with option 840 should you spec them properly, are you saying that the 35i won't hit the limiter?

Or are you saying with the limiters removed the 35d will hit a higher top speed above 150 mph? Going strictly by the gearing and a 4400 rpm limit for the 35d, it will top out at around 149 mph, if you can take it to 4600 rpm, gearing wise, it should hit 155 mph. So it's not going to go much above the 150 mph limiter anyway, even if you remove it.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Depends on what I'm doing, merging onto a highway or passing I'm going above 4400 rpm. Having some fun on the back roads, same thing.

I'm trying to figure out why the 35d will reach a higher top speed then the 35i. They're both available with option 840 should you spec them properly, are you saying that the 35i won't hit the limiter?

Or are you saying with the limiters removed the 35d will hit a higher top speed above 150 mph? Going strictly by the gearing and a 4400 rpm limit for the 35d, it will top out at around 149 mph, if you can take it to 4600 rpm, gearing wise, it should hit 155 mph. So it's not going to go much above the 150 mph limiter anyway, even if you remove it.
Another point of equal relevance is that the diesel short block will not,the the average, have a heart attack for 343,578 miles, theoretically, while the 35i is good for only 239,789 miles. This is based on C-reactive protein testing done by Motor Trend. Sure seals the deal for me! I am overwhelmed by the aggregate logic of the Dieselers and today I will trade the 35i for the nearest 35d I can find. Then I will race it at Le Mans this year, unless renewal of my FIA competition license is held up by those irksome US-Franco politics.

Last edited by dcharnet; 03-31-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Ya know I really really really don't have a problem what other folks drive and how they do it as long as they don't run me over, I enjoy having options. But when the bleeding hearts MT people come out the wood works it just cracks me up, you need to go back to the horse and buggy days so you can really feel the road crap you always talk about. It seems lately all I read on forums is fairy tale stuff about MT and high RPM and I would say 99 % are a lot of BS. I've had my share of MT units but in today's world (in the big city, traffic and all the stop and go signs) it is a yesterday thing when there was no cell phones, ipods, 1000 radio stations, nav screens and all the other distracting elements. "oh I wish they would put a MT in the X5, I would be the first one in line...BS" People get real!!! You need one hand for your big gulp and the other one is for the cigarette. Every time I see a post starting with the MT stuff I can smell the BS. Saturday morning rant, sorry, just cracks me up, lol..
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Quote:
Ya know I really really really don't have a problem what other folks drive and how they do it as long as they don't run me over, I enjoy having options. But when the bleeding hearts MT people come out the wood works it just cracks me up, you need to go back to the horse and buggy days so you can really feel the road crap you always talk about. It seems lately all I read on forums is fairy tale stuff about MT and high RPM and I would say 99 % are a lot of BS. I've had my share of MT units but in today's world (in the big city, traffic and all the stop and go signs) it is a yesterday thing when there was no cell phones, ipods, 1000 radio stations, nav screens and all the other distracting elements. "oh I wish they would put a MT in the X5, I would be the first one in line...BS" People get real!!! You need one hand for your big gulp and the other one is for the cigarette. Every time I see a post starting with the MT stuff I can smell the BS. Saturday morning rant, sorry, just cracks me up, lol..
Is "MT" in your post "manual transmission?" If so, how does that relate to this discussion? I'm trying to understand your point.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
Quote:
X5 is not a sport car, it's a heavy bulky SUV and don't tell me you can drive it as a sport car for real. Also DS mode on automatic transmission is a poor imitation of a real manual mechanical clutch transmission for people who can't drive stick shift.
Diesel engine fits better the SUV profile, but again if you think your X5 35i is a sport car and that makes you happy it's your personal preference
I don't know if that ever been tested, but by obeying the physical laws, if there is no speed limit the 35D wil reach higher top speed than 35i and the reason for this is the higher torque that will deliver enough power to overcome the air drag better

BTW when I need to break 0-60 records, to have fun, to have immediate responsiveness and high RPM I simply drive my M3 6 speed...
It's great that you can gave a M3 and a X5 these days. Some of us can't have both, so the SUV has to serve multiple purposes. While the X5 is no sports car, in DS and with Active Steering (and I assume Adaptive Drive, wish I'd had it) it's actually quite nimble feeling -- something I didn't feel at all in my 35d. It felt heavy and sluggish, despite all the torque to get it moving. Yes, now you can tell me how you hate having anything like Active Steering between you and the wheel and the road, as if the standard fly-by-wire steering was somehow more real. Same as a M3 with a stick? No, of course not, despite BMWs recent ads.

BTW, I drove a stick for 20 years on cars, trucks, and even some larger box trucks. I know how to drive a stick. The torque converter and the programming on the 8-speed is actually quite nice. Same as a stick? No, but close enough for most daily driving situations. The X5 does what I need it to do in DS mode. It moves quickly and nimbly when I need to, say to avoid a stopped line of traffic right in front of me. It downshifts quickly when I need to move, and it stays pretty well in the right gear I need it to be in.

Last edited by Tlon; 03-31-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
Is "MT" in your post "manual transmission?" If so, how does that relate to this discussion? I'm trying to understand your point.
I think he was responding to

Quote:
X5 is not a sport car, it's a heavy bulky SUV and don't tell me you can drive it as a sport car for real. Also DS mode on automatic transmission is a poor imitation of a real manual mechanical clutch transmission for people who can't drive stick shift.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
For me at the age north of fifty, buying the BMW X5d could be the best vehicle I have owned
Hey, at least we agree on one thing :-)

Last edited by Tlon; 03-31-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
I think he was responding to
Yep, I was just having a moment, lol. I have been researching different sport cars lately for a "fun" car and all I hear everywhere I turn is " I would buy it if it had a MT" or "why does it not come with a MT". I have had MT"s in 240 z, VW"s, Porsche Cayman, and a host of others most of my life and had a blast in most of them so when I see a post about bashing if it's not a MT drives me nuts. Sorry, don't mean to highjack this crazy thread, lol. What it comes down to is most are full of s**t and would not buy one if it did came with one.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 35D
Aside from the whole 35i vs 35d debate (I own a 35d) the automatic vs manual argument is almost as ridiculous. It depends on the car, I've had Z06 corvettes with AT's and I loved them gobs of hp & torque and I could not have affected the acceleration or handling response by shifting it myself as the tranny was setup with an aggressive shift pattern. Conversely back in college I use to drive my girlfriends (early 80's version) RX-7 and it had a 5 speed manual and it needed it in order to maximize the usefulness of the meager hp & torque it possessed. Just wanted to chime in.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Yup, I'm slowly switching all of my vehicles over to FI models due to the elevation in CO, makes such a huge difference..
I definitely find a boosted motor to be very beneficial in places like Colorado. I recently made a trip to Colorado to ski and I could feel the lack of power with my NA motor especially climbing those upgrades on the I-70.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.5d
you can add me to the list. Signed the paperwork today on a certified 2010.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyX5d View Post
you can add me to the list. Signed the paperwork today on a certified 2010.
Welcome aboard
Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
Is there any data for year 2011 BMW diesel sales?
What is the ratio X5 diesel VS X5 gas orders? Just curious
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Is there any data for year 2011 BMW diesel sales?
What is the ratio X5 diesel VS X5 gas orders? Just curious
Search around. There are numbers out there.

I bet there are more 35i models because they are cheaper and BMW constantly runs lease specials on them. Not to mention, I don't think I have ever seen a stripped out basic diesel X5 out there. Almost every 35i I see has no NAV, no privacy windows in the back, etc
Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Welcome aboard
thanks, can't wait to take delivery, hopefully Tuesday night.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
For me I wanted something different, majority of my mileage is interstate driving, the diesel
excels in that department, no kickdown of the trans necessary to pass or going up hills due to the tremendous torque, plus I can easily get 26-27mpg mpg not even trying at 80 mph speeds.
^^^^^^^^
THIS
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Search around. There are numbers out there.

I bet there are more 35i models because they are cheaper and BMW constantly runs lease specials on them. Not to mention, I don't think I have ever seen a stripped out basic diesel X5 out there. Almost every 35i I see has no NAV, no privacy windows in the back, etc
Interesting.. I find it totally opposite.

Right now there are no incentives for the 35i and there is a $3,500 credit towards a 35d. Last month it was a $2,500 credit towards a diesel.

The link below you can find a 2010 sales for X5 35i/35D
http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/10/22/u-...elerate-to-38/
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: xDrive35d
- I have a 5,000 pound boat/trailer. The 6 cylinder gasser isn't a realistic option. The money I'll save Vs a V8 is worth it.

- I love the Torque

- I can easily add another 60 HP by getting the ECU remapped (if I want to play with the V8's)
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I freely admit it. The diesel is better, but not $3,500 better.

SO when the diesel credits were offered, I jumped at the chance in 2010 to get better performance and better mpg without paying more for it.
+1

I was willing to pay maybe $1,000 more for the diesel (all I wanted was the torque and cool engine noise). The "eco credit" made it the same price as the gasoline model, so my choice was easy.

No regrets. I'd probably pay $2,000 more for the diesel, now that I know how much I like it.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 & X5
I drank the "D" Kool Aid

I just picked up a 2011 with 48k miles. I absolutely love it! It only has one major option and it's called a Diesel Powerpack!! Cheers! :beerchug
Old 04-25-2014, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Quote:
Yep, I was just having a moment, lol. I have been researching different sport cars lately for a "fun" car and all I hear everywhere I turn is " I would buy it if it had a MT" or "why does it not come with a MT". I have had MT"s in 240 z, VW"s, Porsche Cayman, and a host of others most of my life and had a blast in most of them so when I see a post about bashing if it's not a MT drives me nuts. Sorry, don't mean to highjack this crazy thread, lol. What it comes down to is most are full of s**t and would not buy one if it did came with one.
when I was younger, sure, MT all the way, but the way AT works I would only have a MT in a hotrod, I'll even go as far as saying the C7 convertable I will be getting will have a AT in it. The real advantages of a stick were probably lost back in the 60's if not early 70's for most streetable application.

Now back to your regulary scheduled Why Diesel thread.