Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLITSENSETAM View Post
It's rare, ESP the 08 sports model. So far, I haven't seen this one other than the one in my driveway. Might be alot by you, but not in queens. I might not turn German auto lovers, but the import guys of sure. I own the best of both worlds and thankfully I can enjoy all types of cars.

I never said an infinity can't be fun to drive, I'm sure it is. I don't think it turns heads, though, except maybe yours and other infinity owners. Granted a stock 540i won't either, but with a few mods it sure can.

This is a BMW forum, so of course you are going to get people who prefer the looks BMW over inifinity. Pop over to an infinity board and they'd probably trash the E39 as being ugly, old, expensive, all about prestige/ego, etc. Of course the general population prefers BMWs, so it is a smaller crowd you're catering to.

More to the point, I was trashing the rims on the infinity White E39 posted. Your rims looks good. I'd happily enter your car, but wouldn't think it is particularly cool. I'd be embarassed to get in the infinity posted by White E39, and I think most here would agree!

Last edited by aspensilver540; 04-10-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 97 BMW AUTO 528I
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
I never said an infinity can't be fun to drive, I'm sure it is. I don't think it turns heads, though, except maybe yours and other infinity owners. Granted a stock 540i won't either, but with a few mods it sure can.

This is a BMW forum, so of course you are going to get people who prefer the looks BMW over inifinity. Pop over to an infinity board and they'd probably trash the E39 as being ugly, old, expensive, all about prestige/ego, etc. Of course the general population prefers BMWs, so it is a smaller crowd you're catering to.

More to the point, I was trashing the rims on the infinity White E39 posted. Your rims looks good. I'd happily enter your car, but wouldn't think it is particularly cool. I'd be embarassed to get in the infinity posted by White E39, and I think most here would agree!
Yea, I wouldnt hook up an infiniti, id leave it stock. if i was going to mod up a car it would def be towards the E39 or my M3.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLITSENSETAM View Post
Yea, I wouldnt hook up an infiniti, id leave it stock. if i was going to mod up a car it would def be towards the E39 or my M3.

I think that sums up the debate.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Car
And they lived happily ever after I was not going to respond anymore but its so tempting to give the last of me in here.

SPLIT: Car looks great although a few mods would def make it better but thats up to you and on a totally different forum..

ASPEN: All summed up : YOU ARE A JOKE !!!

Last edited by HammerOnBMW; 04-10-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 PM

Have fun making gay jokes in your infinity.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2003 540i m-sport
infiniti= RICE
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 97 BMW AUTO 528I
BMW =Schnitzel

Rice and Schnitzel, Im hungry!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbrozen View Post
Is your 540 an automatic? Because my 6-speed is quite a bit faster than my G35x was (then again, mine was a 2004). As for weight, they are virtually tied in the curb weight department, but, to me, the 540 "feels" lighter. The AWD just drags the G35 down, IMHO. I felt every pound in that car, especially when autocrossing. Wish I had gotten a RWD 6-speed. I might still have it in that case.
my 540i is 6 speed w/ sports pack, i never actually said theres a big difference in power though the G seems to have better top end while 540i specializes in low end torque. 07' g35x curb weight is barely lighter then 540i, but it just feels significantly lighter. then again my 07' g35 has only 55k miles compared to my 120k mile 540i, maybe the 540i suspension is getting tired. now if i was comparing handling of a 530i with its significantly sharper steering , i may have said it feels just as light on its feet as g35x. 540i ball and socket steering for lack of better word really hurts steering feel(i recall the few 530i's i test drove was alot more fun in the corners)

also the 2nd gen atttesa is really nice, it only kicks on to awd on wheel slip or above like 30mph (dont quote me on that mph). once you get moving, center diff disengages and your car is essentially rwd.

Last edited by mifesto; 04-11-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: Touring
Until 2005 I always bought cars brand new because I didn't want to inherit someone else's problems.

I made the GRAVE MISTAKE in 2005 of taking the advice of some car magazine and bought a 2005 Acura RL over a 530Xi. Don't get me wrong, this was a fantastic vehicle with All Wheel Drive and enough technology to send you into sensory overload. But when you closed the door you knew you were sitting in a REAL EXPENSIVE Honda and nothing more.

I sold the car to my Aunt and settled for driving a 2004 Wrangler until I could find something else that really struck my interest but nothing new ever again as I got my brains kicked in selling off the RL, that was the last new CAR I ever bought and will never buy a new one again.

A friend who wholesales cars agreed to keep his eyes open for a BMW Wagon as I had given up on SUV's shortly before the RL.

He came up with a 1999 528iT in need of a little TLC and I jumped. After Style 5's, an M5 Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex Bushings, and Bilsteins this car will pass that RL on ANY highway interchange cloverleaf you choose to make a run at, period.

This E39 Wagon may not be the most prestigious or fastest car on the road but it is dependable and relatively easy to work on. I've never kept a car this long or with this many miles, 160,000 and counting. I will drive the car anywhere without a single worry.

I think you'll like the Infiniti for a short period of time because it will be a car new to you, brand new or not. The "Nissan" is a good looking car, the problem is it looks like the rest of the "High Line" Jap Sedans. In my eyes it has no real identity.

Buy the car if it's appealing. You can always swallow your pride and come back to the dark side.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
So, the Acura RL had the dubious honor of being delcared "boring to drive" by none other than Consumer Reports. Think that report was around 2000.

The 2004 - 2008 TL and especially the 6-speed is another story. True, you don't get the "bank vault" feel of an e39, but with the advent of e60 & e90 varients, my next DD car won't be a BMW anymore. I may even have to accept FWD again...
  • Pre-Purchase Inspections by a qualifed BMW tech should be considered required PRIOR to purchase.
  • Service Records matter - a whole lot!
  • Plan to spend $2-3000+ in maintance & repairs the first year of ownership.
  • Plan on something unexpected to happen, more often than you are used to.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: Touring
Turbo 525

What's funny about your reply is that I started out looking at the TL and ended up in the RL for nothing more than space. Being 6'1" @ 265lbs at the time the TL was just not going to work. But is was an absolute delight to drive. The TL now has the same AWD as the RL so you may not have to go FWD but will have to cough up more $$$$ to go that new.

They really are good cars, just not for me.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 528iTSportWagon View Post
Turbo 525

What's funny about your reply is that I started out looking at the TL and ended up in the RL for nothing more than space. Being 6'1" @ 265lbs at the time the TL was just not going to work. But is was an absolute delight to drive. The TL now has the same AWD as the RL so you may not have to go FWD but will have to cough up more $$$$ to go that new.

They really are good cars, just not for me.
Yep, understand the height idea - prior Accords could not hold a candle to the e39 and even prior e36 in terms of legroom & comfort - nor for rear seat but for driver.

I'll be looking in the '04 - 08 range. They have gone truly ugly with styling on newer models...

I agree personality is important but for a DD I simply need the reliability.
  • Pre-Purchase Inspections by a qualifed BMW tech should be considered required PRIOR to purchase.
  • Service Records matter - a whole lot!
  • Plan to spend $2-3000+ in maintance & repairs the first year of ownership.
  • Plan on something unexpected to happen, more often than you are used to.