Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
a/c blower, a/c thermometer, software, bad software install/reinstall, passenger airbag sensor fault
Old 03-31-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 335d Le Mans Blue/Black
Only non maintenance trip was to replace the I drive knob and reprogram the car as it was messing up playlists with the iPod. Other computers in car needed updating so it was done at the same time.

The other two trips were for maintenance and for replacing a bumper due to some lady backing into my car. I couldn't be upset at the lady because she waited 2 hours for me on a Friday night... Though while car was getting its bumper replaced we discovered the cause to an exhaust rattle that my friend heard after it got delivered back here in the states, and it looked like the undercarriage got hit, likely during transport and caused the panel to sit on the exhaust pipe and rattle... Too late to investigate that so, let it go, and it was fixed to my liking. ( We think it was transport since friend heard the rattle right after I picked up the car and met him, and I dont recall anything hitting down there between dealer and the friends place. )
E90 335d - Le Mans Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Trim, M-Sport Package w/ Paddles, Premium Package, Navigation, Heated Front Seats, Split Fold Down Rear Seats, Smartphone Integration, Comfort Access, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System. Ipod/USB Integration, Satellite Radio, Anti-Theft Alarm

Delivery: March 07, 2011. My European Delivery Car Photos Dropoff in Geneva: March 09, 2011 - Geneva
Redelivery: May 13, 2011
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335d (e90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Have put 7K miles on my former serivce loaner D and has not been back to the dealer since I picked it up (excluding the screw in a tire). But what do you mean about the mileage issue? You mean the OBC? Mine reads about 5% low (I get better than displayed), this can be corrected?
Mine read about 25% low and yes it can be corrected. Ill try and find the doc explaining it
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Is that a diesel?

Mein Auto: 335d
The only unscheduled maintenance has been resetting the sunroof operation at the 20,000 mile mark. Opened the sunroof, tried to close it a few seconds later and it just wouldn't. Had to pull in to a dealer to help me close it manually.

The system needed a rebooting. I rarely use the sunroof and wish it was a delete option like on the 328 that year. The irony is that almost exactly one year ago I had mentioned it in an unrelated thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrivingG View Post
I don't even like the power seats and moonroof; I rarely change the setting and it's one more thing that can break down. I'm not so lazy that I can't manually change a seat position and if it breaks down, it just going to be a $$$ bill ...... The engine on this thing will last forever but I'm not so sure about the rest of the car.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, K1300GT
2011 335d:
Xenon adaptive headlight auto-leveling control module replaced at approximately 5,000 miles (warranty).
Windshield rock chip (Insurance covered).

Last edited by TopDog5450; 04-10-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Year model
Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d, 1988 325ic
2011 335d:
6800 miles, check engine came on, later realized power was reduced.
Diags show code 4D16 SCR efficiency, 4D35 reducing agent valve. Dealer cleaned metering valve per bulletin 1178061400, 0000006, 1899000, 8FRU.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
No problems with mine. But a couple of interesting items.

At around 13,000 miles the dealer called me and said my car sent a message that the oil was low. I checked the oil and it was full. Took it to the dealer anyway. They couldn't explain it.

To the person with the glove compartment usb problem - I had the same problem with the system not recognizing the USB drive but it eventually worked (was able to import files). What worked was changing the timing in which I inserted the USB drive verses selecting the option to import. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact sequence, but believe I inserted the USB drive, then selected options to import.

Also, gas mileage is phenomenal: 43-44 mpg on highway (around 65 mph). 32-34 mpg around town (suburban driving, not in the city).

One last note: The speedometer reads consistently 4 mph high. The mileage indicator reads consistently 1.5 mpg low.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM

You can adjust the mileage calculation to the nearest 10th of a percent
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
taibanl: how can the mileage calculation be adjusted?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Do you know how to access the hidden bc menu? (many threads on this)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Damn, 32-34 is the best I have gotten with pure highway. But as I learned on this last trip my high cruising speeds is what kills that.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
I just gotten my compressor replaced 2nd time during routine maintenance before Easter. It was squealing again prior to the replacement.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Back pressure pipe replaced along with gaskets and clamp. Car suddenly had exhaust fumes in cabin and sound of air rushing out of engine bay when turbos spooled up.
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d, 1988 325ic
I like the idea of including MPG in the thread. I seem to average a consistent 29-30mpg. My commute is 110 miles round trip of hellish bumper to bumper traffic in the morning, and mostly open highway in the late evening around 75mph, with bursts up to 90-95mph on a daily basis (hey, I bought it to drive it!) My same commute and driving style got me 36mpg in a Prius II and about the same in a VW TDI.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
i get mid 20's around town, suburban and about 36-42 on highway. Warmer temps (help), hills, speed and smooth acceleration make up the dif. A steady state at at true 79 mph seem to return about 39 indicated.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPearson View Post
i get mid 20's around town, suburban and about 36-42 on highway. Warmer temps (help), hills, speed and smooth acceleration make up the dif. A steady state at at true 79 mph seem to return about 39 indicated.
Are those averages for entire tanks of fuel?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
My commute is 110 miles round trip of hellish bumper to bumper traffic in the morning, and mostly open highway in the late evening around 75mph, with bursts up to 90-95mph on a daily basis (hey, I bought it to drive it!)
I have a good idea of what the Walnut Creek commute is like! I'm in a similar situation, but it seems you have more opportunities to open it up. Much of my driving is in city traffic: stop signs at every corner with lots of very steep hills. Every time I'm on the freeway it is usually crawling and there are only a few times per week when I can go the limit. The indicator always seems to hover around 28MPG; when I've taken longer trips out of town I've seen it go up to 36MPG or so.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaRanger View Post
No problems with mine.
Also, gas mileage is phenomenal: 43-44 mpg on highway (around 65 mph). 32-34 mpg around town (suburban driving, not in the city).

One last note: The speedometer reads consistently 4 mph high. The mileage indicator reads consistently 1.5 mpg low.
The speedo reading high is by design. All BMW's read high. If it were to read low and you got a ticket, then your next step would be to use a lawyer and try and sue BMW.

As indicated earlier in this thread my OBC calculated MPG reads about 5% low. Actual mileage on the highway with AC off and windows closed is 41MPG, with AC on is 40. This includes the cold start and some around town, not just pure highway. Once got 42 but that was about it. I imagine if the MPG were reset while on the highway and was kept under 65, you could acheive nearly 50 MPG if you didn't stop.

Remember if you have sports package with 18's, your MPG will be lower.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Hidden BC option 20 is the fuel calculation adjustment factor

Actual mpg x displayed mpg
Over / 1000

So. If it says you are getting more mpg than you really are, you would increase the number accordingly

Example. 44 mpg displayed over 40mpg actual. Change 1000 to 1100 (exaggerated for effect)

You change the digits one at a time ones first then tens then hundreds
Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Are those averages for entire tanks of fuel?
over a few hundred mile average, so if I drove 300 around town then I would clear for a trip etc. Then when you get back in town clear it again etc.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPearson View Post
over a few hundred mile average, so if I drove 300 around town then I would clear for a trip etc. Then when you get back in town clear it again etc.
Thanks. That actually explain a lot. I always look at the averages for my tanks. I have seen 37 mpg for a 250 mile trip but then had to do a tiny amount of urban driving and ultimately got around 34 for that tank.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
See post #32 this thread. Now at 9200 miles got SES light again. Took to Utah dealer while on road trip. Dealer replaced SCR metering valve under warranty, washed car, full safety check (wipers, fluids, brakes, tires, lights), got us back underway within two hours. Kudos to BMW of Murray, UT.

2008 535xi: now in lease heaven
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Go Bruins!

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
2010 335d

I don't have the mileage log on me, but I can try to recall what I had to do:

-Software Update
-Windshield wiper replacement (warranty, replaced)
-Driver side window makes "cracking sounds" mid-way thru the first couple of roll downs after a period of inactivity. Goes away after a couple of roll downs (warranty, replaced window regulator, issue still persistent. Should probably take it to another dealer to see if they can fix it)
-Metering value (warranty, replaced)
-The 'light' that indicates P, R, N, D would flicker on 'D' setting. (warranty, replaced the whole steptronic housing)
-Dashboard Rattle, driver side (warranty, put felt in between instrument panel and dash to eliminate rattle)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 335d M Sport
I just had my belts replaced at 12K miles because of squeal when restarted after 10-15 minutes on warm days. SA claimed they had no service bulletin on this issue and had never heard of this. I asked how many they had sold and they thought less than 10 cars out there so perhaps I was the first. Apparently they put on the OEM belts like came on my car from the factory so we will see how they hold up. Also while I had it in for the belts I replaced my Michelin RF tires with the 18” staggered Continental DWS. I have had two different flats fixed by a local shop over the last 6 months or so and my detail guy called last week with the news that I had a bulge on the sidewalls where they were broken down off the rims. On both tires there was a spot where the cords were showing in a cut on the side walls. I refused the insurance because I feel it is stupid to have to buy insurance to protect myself from a decision to put the POS tires on our cars. The closest dealership is 65 miles and since this is my wife’s car I cannot see sending here to get her tires replaced driving 50 MPH on a flat tire. The Continentals are much quieter and feel great; I think I will be very satisfied. Tire rack is sending me a scratched 8” wheel for one of my good front tires I kept for a spare and I already purchase the jack kit so I am back to old school tires that I can get repaired locally. If I lived my life on the track I might feel differently about the RF tires but since this is the real world I think BMW has their collective heads up their butts. Now I feel better..
2011 335d M-Sport, LeMans Blue, Saddle Brown Dakota Leather, Premium Package, Keyless Entry, Heated Seats, Auto High Beams, Navigation System, HK surround with Satellite Radio, Blacked out grills, color matching fender reflectors, Continental DWS tires, and of course a Flux Capacitor

Rod B
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”. John Wayne
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Took my car in on Tuesday at 31,691 miles.

6000 miles to go before oil service was due, but DEF warning came on. That was concurrent with the car needing a standard brake fluid service.

- Standard brake fluid service
- Re-filled DEF tank. Don't know why the timing was so far off from the oil service. They checked the system and everything was fine. Pulled in with 160 miles left.
- Fixed rattle in right rear pillar. I had put a tie wrap in the spot where it was rattling between the pillar and the back panel, which resolved about 80% of the rattle until they could add some felt.
- They identified another rattle in the driver's side door when they test drove the car. They replaced the power regulator in the left door.
- Replace micro filters
- Multi-point inspection

Had a 328I sedan as loaner. OK, but not too great on gas. Also kind of seemed liked it goes through a million gear shifts getting up to speed.