Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: civic /06 550i
Question help with diy on 06 550

New bmw owner here I just got a 550 that needs alil work done Km thinkin of doin the work my self but wanted 2 ask and if if its recommended

First thing i need done are the front brakes(should i replace them mysself?) What pads should i buy and routers? ( routers are alil worn down ...friend thats a mechanic said i might be able 2 resurface)

Next i have the microfilter sensor on ...not sure what 2 buy and how 2 replace Also my friend told me to service the trans fluid ... What should i buy

He will replace that for me ...im not tryin to **** up my tranny lol

Last and not least ... My paint is started to go dull on top of the back doors ... Will a buff or wax bring it back? Or wat do yall recommend so it doesnt get ne worse Id hate 2 see my paint statin to crack or fall off
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Tail out!

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek2tirado View Post
New bmw owner here I just got a 550 that needs alil work done Km thinkin of doin the work my self but wanted 2 ask and if if its recommended

First thing i need done are the front brakes(should i replace them mysself?) What pads should i buy and routers? ( routers are alil worn down ...friend thats a mechanic said i might be able 2 resurface)

Next i have the microfilter sensor on ...not sure what 2 buy and how 2 replace Also my friend told me to service the trans fluid ... What should i buy

He will replace that for me ...im not tryin to **** up my tranny lol

Last and not least ... My paint is started to go dull on top of the back doors ... Will a buff or wax bring it back? Or wat do yall recommend so it doesnt get ne worse Id hate 2 see my paint statin to crack or fall off
Go to AZAutoHaus- Rotors are $100 each and OEM quality. Go with Pagid Red or Textar pads (they don't have the original BMW pads, which I recommend, but be prepared to pay $$$$ at the dealer)

Microfilters = $30 a set of two, activated charcoal only.

Paint? Use a good polish and then finish with Zymol. Sold at Walmart.

Be very careful with the transmission service. Here's a link for your parts:

http://www.thectsc.com/

Look up the DIY, and make sure that you use ZF or Shell fluid. Minimum is $300 parts.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:30 PM

I cant find oem brake pads only?
Is the replacement difficult? ...i dont wanna jump. In 2 it and find out its harder than i thought lol
Ive changed them on my civic before
Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Tail out!

If you've only changed pads once before, and on a Civic, I would get help. It's not difficult, but I say that being a pretty experienced shady tree mechanic. I wouldn't dive in without looking up a detailed DIY or having the service manual (Bentleys) there. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: Buying
As for the paint - take a flashlight (the brighter the better) and look into the dull areas. If you see a lot of swirl lines and micro scratching you will need to cut and polish the surface: use Maquirs 105 then 205 and it will look new (may as well do the whole car at that point). Then use the flashlight again and most of those abrasions will be gone and the areas should look wet.

However, if you use a flashlight and see fracturing, any bubbling or micro flaking you will probably have to have it re-sprayed. You can take it to a body shop and ask them to put a paint meter on it to check the depth of the paint. Get the number and post back - don't listen to their bull**** that your screwed - that's their job to get you in there. You may only need some clear coat work and no paint...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
for brakes go oem, the aftermarket stuff which claims to be "oem like" is often sub-par quality and lot of Chinese knockoffs too, you don't want risk your health trying to save a few bucks.
I had good deals on oem parts @ ecstuning.com.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Tail out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooch999 View Post
for brakes go oem, the aftermarket stuff which claims to be "oem like" is often sub-par quality and lot of Chinese knockoffs too, you don't want risk your health trying to save a few bucks.
I had good deals on oem parts @ ecstuning.com.
Agreed on BMW pads- I only use OEM for the bite. But the rotors are a rip off- $250 each at list. The rotors all the parts houses like AZ sell are not chinese junk- They're Zimmermann, which are absolutely equal to BMW rotors in quality. They just have a good price, that's all...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Gettin pads replaced this weekend...but i was reading some people asking about the brake sensors gettin replaced also ... How do u know when they need 2 be replaced? Or do u have 32 replace everything the pads are changed?
If already gotten the msg saying i need the brakes replaced
Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 06' 550i w/ iDrive
I just took mine to the dealer since inside pad was ground up and had a mean squeaky groove on the rotor. Had front pads and rotors changed for $785. Tried to get an indy to help but they wanted 700 themselves. At least this was its BMW noted in the maintenance record and covered by BMW.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Giant Robot

Mein Auto: Scion FR-S
Brake sensors wear down with the pads so they need to be replaced with the pads.
"What are you going to replace your BMW with?"
"Another BMW, with a bigger engine!"
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Brake sensors wear down with the pads so they need to be replaced with the pads.
Ok ty ... Does they brand matter?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Brake rotors and pads, Zimmerman are good rotors, made in Germany, textar pads are oem
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Parts_...E60-BRAKE.html

Let me know if you need help

Vincent

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Not to hi-jack your thread but its kind of in the same area. What plugs and wires do yall use? Do you use OEM or go with something like NGK?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Merc Convert

Mein Auto: '08 550i Sport
ha, 'routers'.

2008 550i M Sport Carbon Black on Black 6AT SAT

When in doubt, find row zed.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
I used The Brake Man #93 pads with rotors. My front brake pad light was on so I had to buy a new sensor ($20). Ended up being cheaper at Dealership than online. Took about 2-3 hours to do front and rear. If you have the knowledge and tools you can knock it out at home.

Let me know if you need help finding the correct brakes. We carry EBC, Stoptech and The Brake Man.
(888) 230-1288
(559) 790-3287 (text)

Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Go Dawgs!

Mein Auto: E60 550i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek2tirado View Post
What pads should i buy and routers? ( routers are alil worn down ...friend thats a mechanic said i might be able 2 resurface)
Brillo pads will take care of that paint problem for ya.

Don't go cheap on the routers. Actually, you only need one. I'd recommend a good 4-port wireless N router, particularly Netgear or Belkin. I've had good results with both. Don't settle for "G"; that's not OEM.

Also, I wouldn't bother resurfacing (I assume you mean a flash upgrade?) your existing router(s). A flash (er, "resurfacing") won't improve performance from "G" to "N" standards. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling snake oil.

JK

As for the brake pads and rotors on your E60, this is a really simple DIY. If you've changed them on your Civic before, you can change them on a BMW. Essentially the same process. I've done disc brakes on everything from a '90s era Ford Taurus to VW Jettas, Town & Country minivans, and E39/E60 BMWs, and the process is basically the same.

The wear sensor is just a simple wire that plugs into a harness on one end and fits into the caliper near the brake pad on the other. No tools required for that.

Sockmonkey was spot on about rotors and pads. AZAutohaus is good, so is Turner Motorsports.

Happy wrench turning and wireless routing.

IMHO: E39 < E60 > F10

2011 F10 535xi (ED July 15, 2011)
2008 E60 550i (ED July 22, 2008)
2000 E39 540i (Retired)

Member BMWCCA #402733
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
You can get Textar pads on Amazon if you want the stock OEM replacement. http://www.amazon.com/Textar-W0133-1...2007&carId=001

Further, I use NGK plugs, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product.