Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixreborn View Post
But seriously you can do the jump, it's not that bad. I hate heights and I kinda enjoyed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post

But, you have to do the sky diving. Period.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
Her friends don't want to, so I think I'm gonna have to man up and just do it :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
Wait ...just got back from Mexico!?! Holy crap that's a dangerous place right now except MAYBE vacation spots like resorts.

You are a brave man, even after 3 years I wouldn't have let my chick go to Mexico for her 21st b-day party without me, that's girl code for bang dudes sir.
She actually went for spring break, and she took her girl friend and they stayed at an all inclusive family resort in a safe part of town; I did check lol

Plus, she shared the bed with her friend, so I HOPE she got some action down there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
I think he's right. See, I would have done a helicopter ride or something with a nice ENCLOSED space and preferably a DOOR.

I was at a waterpark not too long ago and one of the things they had is where you walk into this enclosed box standing up, the floor drops out from under you, and you go shooting straight down in a free-fall before catching the curve of the waterslide quite a ways down. When I got into that booth and they shut the door, I was waiting for the floor to vanish and thinking . . . I'm going to DIE!
That water ride does not sound fun at all

@ilovemycar: I have decided in pasta, simply because we've had steal a few time this month already, and I wouldn't mind trying to learn how to make a cool Italian type dish..
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
@ilovemycar: I have decided in pasta, simply because we've had steal a few time this month already, and I wouldn't mind trying to learn how to make a cool Italian type dish..
Cool man. I'm sorry I was so unclear though about the meat, it's not steak, but pork tenderloin. It's relatively affordable, easy, and relatively foolproof. I just had steak for the first time in a long time recently, a rib roast from the loin end, special ordered and cut, that I dry aged for 5 days, and reverse seared. It was cool and all, but I'm not going to do it again anytime soon. Takes up so much fridge space, everything else is colder than needs to be (beef is ideally kept at 32-36 F). Anyway, good luck and I'm curious what you'll make. Post pics!

Here are a few pics of the first time I did the tenderloin; brine elements before the cider vinegar, stuffing the kalamata/green olive mixture, wrapped and ready for the oven (bout 30 min or so, but maybe double that when using a roast; ask the butcher to remove excess fat if it's from the case).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brine1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	320562   Click image for larger version

Name:	olivestuffed1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	320563   Click image for larger version

Name:	olivestuffed2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	320564  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Just one HUGE advice for you. If you are such a bad cook as you described, then my advice to you is this: Do not leave the kitchen for anything until you are done cooking. More likely then not, if you leave, when you go back you'll find that something went wrong. Always observe what you're cooking.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
someone mentioned soup - I made a KILLER soup based on this recipe:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soups...rotcoconut.htm

and it's VEGAN - I made it for friends and it was a BIG hit - it's a mild curry taste, but you could amp it up if you wanted.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Quote:
Her friends don't want to, so I think I'm gonna have to man up and just do it :/

She actually went for spring break, and she took her girl friend and they stayed at an all inclusive family resort in a safe part of town; I did check lol

Plus, she shared the bed with her friend, so I HOPE she got some action down there

That water ride does not sound fun at all

Just lookin out bro, guy code.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Here is my 2 c's.

For someone with very limited cooking abilities (and likely tools): Make Lasagna. All you have to do is cook the noodles, open a jar of sauce, grate some cheese and bake. Heck, they even have no bake lasagna noodles. Buy a good quality jarred sauce (Barilla?) and good quality cheese (head for an upscale grocery store). If you use the no bake noodles I believe you have to make it ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Serve with a salad (cesar or chopped, or just a nice green salad) and dessert... I am going to have to think about this one a bit longer..

As far as jumping out of a plane. There is no man I'd jump out of a perfectly good airplane for. Send a friend with her. If she loves you she will understand. If she doesn't.. well, you probably wanted to find that out sooner rather than later.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Well I keep going back and forth on the skydiving part. I'll probably do it just so I can say I did it, plus then next time one of my friends wants to make fun of my fear of heights I can tell them to shove it

The GF just made lasagna, she makes it at least once a month (not complaining, I like that too). I'm gonna go back home to visit my mom this week to steal some pans, timers, and other cooking utensils to make sure I'm as prepared as possible
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM
TXSunDvl

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci, ZSP, '08 CR-V
For something different, you might try eggplant parmesan. It's pretty easy to make (although a little time-consuming), and quite delish.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Well, I bought two tickets for sky diving classes on the 28th, for myself and the GF.. Gonna man up and do it

I'm also heading down to a little local Italian place that will help you customize meals, provide instructions, and has all fresh pasta/sauces/veggies, etc
Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Quote:
Well, I bought two tickets for sky diving classes on the 28th, for myself and the GF.. Gonna man up and do it

I'm also heading down to a little local Italian place that will help you customize meals, provide instructions, and has all fresh pasta/sauces/veggies, etc

Good boy
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:

You're really putting a lot of time, thought and effort into this. I hope she appreciates it.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
You're really putting a lot of time, thought and effort into this. I hope she appreciates it.
Agreed!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
Agreed!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Dude, take pictures of your dinner and post here!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Please, call me Brian.

I'm planning on it, dont expect too much
Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Please, call me Brian.

** its 3:19am, we just got back from her first night at the bar.

* She kissed her female friend literally 20 times
* She puked inside her car not once, not twice, but three times
* She has said "sorry Ryan" at least 30 times

Now I'm thinking I might need to also plan a "Hangover" themed brunch tomorrow instead of a pasta supper
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
** its 3:19am, we just got back from her first night at the bar.

* She kissed her female friend literally 20 times
* She puked inside her car not once, not twice, but three times
* She has said "sorry Ryan" at least 30 times

Now I'm thinking I might need to also plan a "Hangover" themed brunch tomorrow instead of a pasta supper
IHOP to go?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Pasta can be pretty tricky.

My suggestion would be lobsters. Live, Maine lobsters. Walmart sells them in some places. If you can boil water you can cook lobsters.

Next, get a good loaf of fresh french bread. Go to a bakery, while youre there ask for a nice dessert to go with lobsters (key lime pie, etc.).

Get a bottle of either a nice white wine, better still champagne.

Something green on the side would be good too, like a mixed salad. You'll need some butter of course, dressing for the salad, maybe a couple of cheese selections w/the bread as an appetizer (brie, goat cheese, pre-concocted spreadable but I'm not talking about cheeze-whiz).

While your at it, pick up some fresh flowers for the table. You don't need to spend a ton, I'm not talking about long-stemmed roses. Just a nice batch of flowers also from the grocery store.

This is all stupid simple, and you've got my money back guarantee that this advice will be a big hit.

edit.. oops just read 41. Never mind, get ger some tylenol & water.

Last edited by damyankee; 04-16-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Please, call me Brian.

I haven't made the meal yet, she was in no condition to enjoy a meal yesterday

However, she still cant believe I bought us tickets for skydiving, she's pretty pumped about that
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Well, I made the meal tonight. After much deliberation, I went with a Spaghetti Bolognese dish because she likes pasta and also likes anything with spinach..

Before feeding my first-ever-real-meal to a human, I tested the dish on my trusty pup:

One lick was all it took

As you could imagine, after pup died violently, my gf was quite apprehensive to try the dish:

In the end I determined this dish is only fatal to dogs, so we luckily got to move onto desert. I wimped out here and decided a simple out-of-the box desert would be legit, and we both enjoyed the meal

I appreciate the help folks! Now I'm going skydiving on the 28th
Old 04-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
Good job ! Sorry I was late to this party, reading through I would have mentioned that it's not hard to find someone like me that will make you shine. I've done dinners for bachelors quite a few times where I go to their place handle all the prep and leave them with clear directions on the final execution and plating to make it appear they cooked the meal themselves

"My dinners bring all the girls to the pole, I'd teach you, but I have to charge"
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: x
Awesome, hope you had a great night!

... but orange juice and milk?

Hey PhilipWOT... I mean people... learn from those who are willing to post pics
Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Awesome, hope you had a great night!

... but orange juice and milk?

Hey PhilipWOT... I mean people... learn from those who are willing to post pics

Next time a nice Chianti might be better with the bolognese
Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Se was doing homework and was drinking those when I happened to bring the food out

She didn't want any wine after 2 days of 21st b-day celebrations, so we went with some good ol h2o and she had milk
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
That picture of her with that look on her face and the dog lying on the floor is hysterical.

I think we forgot to cover presentation though. Need some work there, my friend.