Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
That was my precise plan before learning about the GS. I was planning on getting the new M3 or CPO M5 in the next 3-4 yrs after I'm done with the X. However, I'm not liking the frontend of the new 3series which most likely will be carried over to the M3. Also the need for immediate satisfaction is kicking me in a big way.

What is your opinion of a fair trade-in value to a non-BMW dealer for my X. Its a 2011 Sport Activity model with only 7.5K miles. MSRP was ~$58K. I recall you had a magic formula for this calculation which adjusts for mileage as well. Appreciate your insight on this.
You will be lucky to get 44k and on the Lexus GS as of now there are NO discounts, they are almost getting MSRP for these, if you truly want one, wait till the hype dies down.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
no f'ing way.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
+1
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
[QUOTE

Don't you notice that most Toyotas on the road go below the speed limit, and in general lack driving sense/don't have a clue on what they're doing? 8,9 out of 10 times when I'm stuck behind someone or when the lanes are clogged, it is usually a Toyota. Its safe to say that during the past decade Toyota has become the most bland choice of vehicle for people who don't care for the driving experience and view it simply as a tool to go from point A to point B.[/QUOTE]

So, there is your answer (at least in part). If that is your perspective, then do you want to be part of that group? Based on your posts, I would say not.

Personally, there is no way I'm buying a Toyota or Lexus -- ever. Too may other good choices out there. I do like Honda (not so much as of late) and Mazda...both of which are at a different price point than BMW...
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
Trade the maxima for a murano, problem solved.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
No I certainly am not! Are you an offended Toyota owner?
Toyota has become the most bland choice of vehicle for people who don't care for the driving experience and view it simply as a tool to go from point A to point B.
ďWhenever Iím suffering from insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and Iím straight off.Ē (c) Jeremy Clarkson.
http://www.coolcarsandgirls.com/2009...ar-quotes.html
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
The Toyota does a good job of getting you from a to b with out breaking..My kids will be getting Toyota or Honda for their first car.used with scratched bumpers.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 AM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Specifically I'm considering to sell my 2011 X5 Sport-Pkg equipped SAV for a 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport. I test drove it this past wknd and I'm SOLD! The interior is top notch, equipped with gadgets galore, and most importantly, the handling is Un-Lexus like!! The deal breaker thus far is they offered me a very low trade-in, as they claimed its going to wholesale instead of its own lot, which is disappointing and something I don't quite believe.

My other concern is I'm switching from a SUV to a sedan, which may on occasion pose a problem if I have to transport large objects from HD or Ikea etc..

My main gripes on the X5 is my inability to "drive it like I stole it" due to its mass, which is taking away a tremendous amount of my driving enjoyment, and my primary reason for wanting to switch back to a sport sedan. Sometimes when alone I prefer to drive my beater Maxima instead so I can at least go nuts. I wish my wife could drive stick so I'd just get a WRX or something fun to play with and call it a day.

However, my wife and a couple of friends have deemed me crazy for switching from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" to "The Appliance on Wheels". I personally hate Toyotas too due to the demographic of most of its drivers, but I still can't get over how well the F-Sport drives.

WWYD if you were in my shoes?
Not to mention it's got one of the best paint work in the industry - no orange peel and ultra smooth. Why not consider getting a F10 5 series which is a bona fide German Lexus? You'll get the best of both worlds and it still is a BMW. My apology if I sounded sarcastic. I really think new BMWs are becoming Lexus.

Last edited by zero4588; 04-11-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
[QUOTE

Its safe to say that during the past decade Toyota has become the most bland choice of vehicle for people who don't care for the driving experience and view it simply as a tool to go from point A to point B.

Exactly!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamoo View Post
Exactly!
Except Toyota is the only company offering an SUV with AWD and a 6MT in the US. They wouldn't do that if people didn't care about the driving experience.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Except Toyota is the only company offering an SUV with AWD and a 6MT in the US. They wouldn't do that if people didn't care about the driving experience.
Porsche also offers their Cayenne with 6mt standard.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4588 View Post
Porsche also offers their Cayenne with 6mt standard.
I forgot they still offered it on the base, the GTS is the one that I always thought of and it's not offered any longer. Still, not bad company to be in.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
it could be they are trying to increase economy ratings by offering the manual, also if its the fj they likely wont continue beyond current design.

powered by lemings
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM

They've been predicting the FJ's demise since 09, we'll have to see what happens when redesign time comes around. Same platform as the 4Runner and GX 460, so there's already a ton of parts sharing, maybe one of those will pick up the torch if the FJ doesn't survive.

The point still remains, they still make small volume niche vehicles in addition to their large volume appliances on wheels.

Last edited by ND40oz; 04-11-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Specifically I'm considering to sell my 2011 X5 Sport-Pkg equipped SAV for a 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport. I test drove it this past wknd and I'm SOLD! The interior is top notch, equipped with gadgets galore, and most importantly, the handling is Un-Lexus like!! The deal breaker thus far is they offered me a very low trade-in, as they claimed its going to wholesale instead of its own lot, which is disappointing and something I don't quite believe.
It appears you've already got your answer. If you were pleased with the vehicle I see no reason not to. IMO Lexus offers better reliability and more car for a lower price. If you like the way it performs I see no reason not to move forward with it merely because "It's a Lexus".

Quote:
My other concern is I'm switching from a SUV to a sedan, which may on occasion pose a problem if I have to transport large objects from HD or Ikea etc..
Are you sure this isn't the question you're trying to answer?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
It appears you've already got your answer. If you were pleased with the vehicle I see no reason not to. IMO Lexus offers better reliability and more car for a lower price. If you like the way it performs I see no reason not to move forward with it merely because "It's a Lexus".
The Lexus out performed the BMW 535i on road tests...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
I parked right next to the new GS350 Lexus on this last Saturday at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. It looked really nice from inside to outside. But I do not know about spending a
50K plus on this newly design model.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
No I certainly am not! Are you an offended Toyota owner?

Don't you notice that most Toyotas on the road go below the speed limit, and in general lack driving sense/don't have a clue on what they're doing? 8,9 out of 10 times when I'm stuck behind someone or when the lanes are clogged, it is usually a Toyota. Its safe to say that during the past decade Toyota has become the most bland choice of vehicle for people who don't care for the driving experience and view it simply as a tool to go from point A to point B.
You are pointing the finger at everyone that drives a Toyota or a Lexus but there is a difference in who drives what cars. Toyota seem to have the slower and the Lexus have some of the younger crowd, The GS is def. not all old people take it whatever way you perceive it but there are many young drivers, your view is very bias, and no bases for that matter. Itís like saying every BMW owner is a hot head and only listens to techno, when that isnít the case. In the matter of comparing a SAV to a sedan I think as others have stated you should test the BMW sedan before jumping for a Lexus GS F-Sport, I think itís underpowered, and although itís got a sufficient amount of power its not enough I think.

BMW X5 2013 35i Black Sapphire Black Nevada Leather Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Satelite Radio.

"Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated."
Jean Baudrillard
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuday06 View Post
You are pointing the finger at everyone that drives a Toyota or a Lexus but there is a difference in who drives what cars. Toyota seem to have the slower and the Lexus have some of the younger crowd, The GS is def. not all old people take it whatever way you perceive it but there are many young drivers, your view is very bias, and no bases for that matter. Itís like saying every BMW owner is a hot head and only listens to techno, when that isnít the case. In the matter of comparing a SAV to a sedan I think as others have stated you should test the BMW sedan before jumping for a Lexus GS F-Sport, I think itís underpowered, and although itís got a sufficient amount of power its not enough I think.
Yes, we are sterotyping. But your argument is irrelevant. It's ** his ** perspective/sterotype, therefore, if he bought a Lexus, he becomes part of ** his ** strerotype.

Of course, BMW owners are also streotyped -- and I have friends whom would not own a BMW because of it. Their loss -- in my opinion.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Yes, we are sterotyping. But your argument is irrelevant. It's ** his ** perspective/sterotype, therefore, if he bought a Lexus, he becomes part of ** his ** strerotype.

Of course, BMW owners are also streotyped -- and I have friends whom would not own a BMW because of it. Their loss -- in my opinion.
True, just sad to see it sometimes!

BMW X5 2013 35i Black Sapphire Black Nevada Leather Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Satelite Radio.

"Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated."
Jean Baudrillard
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 PM
°Viva EspaŮa!

Mein Auto: 12 X5/ 08 335i
I personally think the Germans make the best cars, but thats just me.
They are also the best drivers in the world.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The Cayenne GTS is coming back -- with a 6 speed M/T available. Don't know if the new Cayenne diesel will also offer the M/T as well though. The FJ is a retro exercise, it has a limited appeal but like the Wrangler is a superb 4WD off roader. I suspect it will continue as others have pointed out it shares much with other models. If Toyota snapped one of their very fine diesels in it the FJ would be even better!

Last edited by UncleJ; 04-12-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2011 328i
NO, not swapping my ultimate driving machine for a rice cooker.
Anyone can buy/drive a lexus these days, the roads and driveways are full of them, its just a vehicle for the masses, most of which cannot drive worth a crap. I have driven friends lexus and they are boring, no excitment at all.
Only real drivers can appreciate the excitement and experience of driving a BMW.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
NO, not swapping my ultimate driving machine for a rice cooker.
Anyone can buy/drive a lexus these days, the roads and driveways are full of them, its just a vehicle for the masses, most of which cannot drive worth a crap. I have driven friends lexus and they are boring, no excitment at all.
Only real drivers can appreciate the excitement and experience of driving a BMW.
Wow you are ignorant and racist with your derogatory comment about rice cooker..
Also anyone can buy/drive a BMW. The roads and driveways here are full of them too.. I see late model BMW's here all the time as much as I see honda civics..

Let me return the favor.. why the hell is a redneck cowboy from Texas driving an ultimate driving machine? Get back on your horse...

You guys call yourself car enthusiasts then act like one.. all I see are people here being biased BMW fanboy. A true auto enthusiasts can appreciate all cars make and brand.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.

Last edited by Kzang; 04-14-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Wow you are ignorant and racist with your derogatory comment about rice cooker..
Also anyone can buy/drive a BMW. The roads and driveways here are full of them too.. I see late model BMW's here all the time as much as I see honda civics..

Let me return the favor.. why the hell is a redneck cowboy from Texas driving an ultimate driving machine? Get back on your horse...

You guys call yourself car enthusiasts then act like one.. all I see are people here being biased BMW fanboy. A true auto enthusiasts can appreciate all cars make and brand.
I'm not racist but in the past 35 years I've driven just about everything the americans, germans and japs have built and presently it's hard to beat the driving experience of a BMW. Of course that is just my opinion.