Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
ductman's Avatar
ductman ductman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Eastern Pa
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 776
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
That was my precise plan before learning about the GS. I was planning on getting the new M3 or CPO M5 in the next 3-4 yrs after I'm done with the X. However, I'm not liking the frontend of the new 3series which most likely will be carried over to the M3. Also the need for immediate satisfaction is kicking me in a big way.

What is your opinion of a fair trade-in value to a non-BMW dealer for my X. Its a 2011 Sport Activity model with only 7.5K miles. MSRP was ~$58K. I recall you had a magic formula for this calculation which adjusts for mileage as well. Appreciate your insight on this.
You will be lucky to get 44k and on the Lexus GS as of now there are NO discounts, they are almost getting MSRP for these, if you truly want one, wait till the hype dies down.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
soldmystang's Avatar
soldmystang soldmystang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 505
Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
no f'ing way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
ChuckGr ChuckGr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 311
Mein Auto: X5 35D
+1
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
BryanCO BryanCO is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 164
Mein Auto: E46 M3
[QUOTE

Don't you notice that most Toyotas on the road go below the speed limit, and in general lack driving sense/don't have a clue on what they're doing? 8,9 out of 10 times when I'm stuck behind someone or when the lanes are clogged, it is usually a Toyota. Its safe to say that during the past decade Toyota has become the most bland choice of vehicle for people who don't care for the driving experience and view it simply as a tool to go from point A to point B.[/QUOTE]

So, there is your answer (at least in part). If that is your perspective, then do you want to be part of that group? Based on your posts, I would say not.

Personally, there is no way I'm buying a Toyota or Lexus -- ever. Too may other good choices out there. I do like Honda (not so much as of late) and Mazda...both of which are at a different price point than BMW...
__________________
'06 M3 Silver/Gray
'11 X5 35d Sparkling Bronze/Oyster
'88 M3 Silver/Black, 47k Miles, Stock, Garage Queen...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
sea6speed's Avatar
sea6speed sea6speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle WA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
Trade the maxima for a murano, problem solved.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 PM
serge1's Avatar
serge1 serge1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: seattle
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 602
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
No I certainly am not! Are you an offended Toyota owner?
Toyota has become the most bland choice of vehicle for people who don't care for the driving experience and view it simply as a tool to go from point A to point B.
ďWhenever Iím suffering from insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and Iím straight off.Ē (c) Jeremy Clarkson.
http://www.coolcarsandgirls.com/2009...ar-quotes.html
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 PM
tonka858 tonka858 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: san diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 340
Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
The Toyota does a good job of getting you from a to b with out breaking..My kids will be getting Toyota or Honda for their first car.used with scratched bumpers.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 AM
zero4588 zero4588 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
Specifically I'm considering to sell my 2011 X5 Sport-Pkg equipped SAV for a 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport. I test drove it this past wknd and I'm SOLD! The interior is top notch, equipped with gadgets galore, and most importantly, the handling is Un-Lexus like!! The deal breaker thus far is they offered me a very low trade-in, as they claimed its going to wholesale instead of its own lot, which is disappointing and something I don't quite believe.

My other concern is I'm switching from a SUV to a sedan, which may on occasion pose a problem if I have to transport large objects from HD or Ikea etc..

My main gripes on the X5 is my inability to "drive it like I stole it" due to its mass, which is taking away a tremendous amount of my driving enjoyment, and my primary reason for wanting to switch back to a sport sedan. Sometimes when alone I prefer to drive my beater Maxima instead so I can at least go nuts. I wish my wife could drive stick so I'd just get a WRX or something fun to play with and call it a day.

However, my wife and a couple of friends have deemed me crazy for switching from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" to "The Appliance on Wheels". I personally hate Toyotas too due to the demographic of most of its drivers, but I still can't get over how well the F-Sport drives.

WWYD if you were in my shoes?
Not to mention it's got one of the best paint work in the industry - no orange peel and ultra smooth. Why not consider getting a F10 5 series which is a bona fide German Lexus? You'll get the best of both worlds and it still is a BMW. My apology if I sounded sarcastic. I really think new BMWs are becoming Lexus.

Last edited by zero4588; 04-11-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 AM
bobamoo's Avatar
bobamoo bobamoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 386
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
[QUOTE

Its safe to say that during the past decade Toyota has become the most bland choice of vehicle for people who don't care for the driving experience and view it simply as a tool to go from point A to point B.

Exactly!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 AM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamoo View Post
Exactly!
Except Toyota is the only company offering an SUV with AWD and a 6MT in the US. They wouldn't do that if people didn't care about the driving experience.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM
zero4588 zero4588 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Except Toyota is the only company offering an SUV with AWD and a 6MT in the US. They wouldn't do that if people didn't care about the driving experience.
Porsche also offers their Cayenne with 6mt standard.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4588 View Post
Porsche also offers their Cayenne with 6mt standard.
I forgot they still offered it on the base, the GTS is the one that I always thought of and it's not offered any longer. Still, not bad company to be in.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:56 AM
wanderlust wanderlust is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
it could be they are trying to increase economy ratings by offering the manual, also if its the fj they likely wont continue beyond current design.

powered by lemings
__________________
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams.
Having arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
They've been predicting the FJ's demise since 09, we'll have to see what happens when redesign time comes around. Same platform as the 4Runner and GX 460, so there's already a ton of parts sharing, maybe one of those will pick up the torch if the FJ doesn't survive.

The point still remains, they still make small volume niche vehicles in addition to their large volume appliances on wheels.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion

Last edited by ND40oz; 04-11-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,588
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
Specifically I'm considering to sell my 2011 X5 Sport-Pkg equipped SAV for a 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport. I test drove it this past wknd and I'm SOLD! The interior is top notch, equipped with gadgets galore, and most importantly, the handling is Un-Lexus like!! The deal breaker thus far is they offered me a very low trade-in, as they claimed its going to wholesale instead of its own lot, which is disappointing and something I don't quite believe.
It appears you've already got your answer. If you were pleased with the vehicle I see no reason not to. IMO Lexus offers better reliability and more car for a lower price. If you like the way it performs I see no reason not to move forward with it merely because "It's a Lexus".

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
My other concern is I'm switching from a SUV to a sedan, which may on occasion pose a problem if I have to transport large objects from HD or Ikea etc..
Are you sure this isn't the question you're trying to answer?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,693
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
It appears you've already got your answer. If you were pleased with the vehicle I see no reason not to. IMO Lexus offers better reliability and more car for a lower price. If you like the way it performs I see no reason not to move forward with it merely because "It's a Lexus".
The Lexus out performed the BMW 535i on road tests...
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Kietv Kietv is offline
Registered User
Location: Signal Hill, SoCal
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 86
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
I parked right next to the new GS350 Lexus on this last Saturday at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. It looked really nice from inside to outside. But I do not know about spending a
50K plus on this newly design model.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
jsuday06 jsuday06 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Beantown
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 119
Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
No I certainly am not! Are you an offended Toyota owner?

Don't you notice that most Toyotas on the road go below the speed limit, and in general lack driving sense/don't have a clue on what they're doing? 8,9 out of 10 times when I'm stuck behind someone or when the lanes are clogged, it is usually a Toyota. Its safe to say that during the past decade Toyota has become the most bland choice of vehicle for people who don't care for the driving experience and view it simply as a tool to go from point A to point B.
You are pointing the finger at everyone that drives a Toyota or a Lexus but there is a difference in who drives what cars. Toyota seem to have the slower and the Lexus have some of the younger crowd, The GS is def. not all old people take it whatever way you perceive it but there are many young drivers, your view is very bias, and no bases for that matter. Itís like saying every BMW owner is a hot head and only listens to techno, when that isnít the case. In the matter of comparing a SAV to a sedan I think as others have stated you should test the BMW sedan before jumping for a Lexus GS F-Sport, I think itís underpowered, and although itís got a sufficient amount of power its not enough I think.
__________________

BMW X5 2013 35i Black Sapphire Black Nevada Leather Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Satelite Radio.

"Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated."
Jean Baudrillard
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
BryanCO BryanCO is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 164
Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuday06 View Post
You are pointing the finger at everyone that drives a Toyota or a Lexus but there is a difference in who drives what cars. Toyota seem to have the slower and the Lexus have some of the younger crowd, The GS is def. not all old people take it whatever way you perceive it but there are many young drivers, your view is very bias, and no bases for that matter. Itís like saying every BMW owner is a hot head and only listens to techno, when that isnít the case. In the matter of comparing a SAV to a sedan I think as others have stated you should test the BMW sedan before jumping for a Lexus GS F-Sport, I think itís underpowered, and although itís got a sufficient amount of power its not enough I think.
Yes, we are sterotyping. But your argument is irrelevant. It's ** his ** perspective/sterotype, therefore, if he bought a Lexus, he becomes part of ** his ** strerotype.

Of course, BMW owners are also streotyped -- and I have friends whom would not own a BMW because of it. Their loss -- in my opinion.
__________________
'06 M3 Silver/Gray
'11 X5 35d Sparkling Bronze/Oyster
'88 M3 Silver/Black, 47k Miles, Stock, Garage Queen...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
jsuday06 jsuday06 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Beantown
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 119
Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Yes, we are sterotyping. But your argument is irrelevant. It's ** his ** perspective/sterotype, therefore, if he bought a Lexus, he becomes part of ** his ** strerotype.

Of course, BMW owners are also streotyped -- and I have friends whom would not own a BMW because of it. Their loss -- in my opinion.
True, just sad to see it sometimes!
__________________

BMW X5 2013 35i Black Sapphire Black Nevada Leather Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Satelite Radio.

"Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated."
Jean Baudrillard
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 PM
ZuerstBMW ZuerstBMW is offline
°Viva EspaŮa!
Location: Tampa, Fl.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: 12 X5/ 08 335i
I personally think the Germans make the best cars, but thats just me.
They are also the best drivers in the world.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,499
Mein Auto: '06 X3
The Cayenne GTS is coming back -- with a 6 speed M/T available. Don't know if the new Cayenne diesel will also offer the M/T as well though. The FJ is a retro exercise, it has a limited appeal but like the Wrangler is a superb 4WD off roader. I suspect it will continue as others have pointed out it shares much with other models. If Toyota snapped one of their very fine diesels in it the FJ would be even better!

Last edited by UncleJ; 04-12-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 AM
btadlock btadlock is offline
Registered User
Location: Frisco,TX
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2011 328i
NO, not swapping my ultimate driving machine for a rice cooker.
Anyone can buy/drive a lexus these days, the roads and driveways are full of them, its just a vehicle for the masses, most of which cannot drive worth a crap. I have driven friends lexus and they are boring, no excitment at all.
Only real drivers can appreciate the excitement and experience of driving a BMW.
__________________
-
2012 X5
2011 328i
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,693
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
NO, not swapping my ultimate driving machine for a rice cooker.
Anyone can buy/drive a lexus these days, the roads and driveways are full of them, its just a vehicle for the masses, most of which cannot drive worth a crap. I have driven friends lexus and they are boring, no excitment at all.
Only real drivers can appreciate the excitement and experience of driving a BMW.
Wow you are ignorant and racist with your derogatory comment about rice cooker..
Also anyone can buy/drive a BMW. The roads and driveways here are full of them too.. I see late model BMW's here all the time as much as I see honda civics..

Let me return the favor.. why the hell is a redneck cowboy from Texas driving an ultimate driving machine? Get back on your horse...

You guys call yourself car enthusiasts then act like one.. all I see are people here being biased BMW fanboy. A true auto enthusiasts can appreciate all cars make and brand.
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.

Last edited by Kzang; 04-14-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:33 AM
btadlock btadlock is offline
Registered User
Location: Frisco,TX
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Wow you are ignorant and racist with your derogatory comment about rice cooker..
Also anyone can buy/drive a BMW. The roads and driveways here are full of them too.. I see late model BMW's here all the time as much as I see honda civics..

Let me return the favor.. why the hell is a redneck cowboy from Texas driving an ultimate driving machine? Get back on your horse...

You guys call yourself car enthusiasts then act like one.. all I see are people here being biased BMW fanboy. A true auto enthusiasts can appreciate all cars make and brand.
I'm not racist but in the past 35 years I've driven just about everything the americans, germans and japs have built and presently it's hard to beat the driving experience of a BMW. Of course that is just my opinion.
__________________
-
2012 X5
2011 328i
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms