Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530
if the extra 40hp only comes from a software flash, how reliable will the upgrade even be? I would guess that a year or two down the road this software flash will need reloading as the car ages and loses power? This whole ZMX package is for suckers and I admit I was taken.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmster View Post
if the extra 40hp only comes from a software flash, how reliable will the upgrade even be? I would guess that a year or two down the road this software flash will need reloading as the car ages and loses power? This whole ZMX package is for suckers and I admit I was taken.
Why would it need reloading unless something had overwritten it? The 1M, 335is and Z4 sDrive35is all have a performance tuned version of the N54, this is just BMW doing the same with the N55. It could be a different engine variant like the 6 series uses, but we won't know until someone takes delivery.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
I am confused, are you saying that getting the software flash will sorta work or stop working over time? If you have the flash then you have the flash. Any and all software updates will take into account the M performance software and include that in the updates.

Your argument that a care looses HP over age does not make sense. If your ENGINE is producing less Horsepower due to age, you will have less HP. BMW is not going to change or create a remap of their software to constantly give you the same HP off that your BMW had when it left the factory. I have never heard of a car company every doing this. If you do in fact loose HP as the engine ages, you will still have more HP with the M Performance flash, than with the base flash. Loosing 10% of 440 vs 400 will still produce more HP over time.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: M3s
Quote:
if the extra 40hp only comes from a software flash, how reliable will the upgrade even be?
40 HP via an extra lb or two of boost on the N63 is well within conservative parameters. Aftermarket tunes on 100 octane will yield well north of 500hp, now that's pushing the twin-scrolls.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Black 50i M-Sport
Anyone heard about ZMX impact on fuel economy

Anyone heard of the M-Performance Package's impact (if any) on the fuel economy numbers of the 35i or the 50i?

Hoping that this "tune" will be at worst neutral to MPG figures. Am going with the 50i and that is already a fairly thirsty car.

Anyone have experience with other "tunes" of this magnitude (~10% boost) and their impact on MPG?

Sounds like this "tuned" version of the N63 is going to be the BASE engine for the new 650 Gran Coupe so that makes me think BMW is pretty confident in the "tuning" inherent within the M-Performance package.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: M3s
Since the increase in HP comes via boost from the turbos your right foot controls your MPG. Only should you access the additional boost(power) will your MPG decline. With that said, if you are like me you will inevitably make use of the extra power. As a point of reference with my N54 (335i twin turbo), I averaged 22mpg under spirited driving in stock form. In stage III FBO trim, making 40% more horsepower, mpg was 17 on average. This is about a 20% decrease. Now, with only 10% increase in power on the N63 I'd put mpg decrease at around 5% - 10% with your right foot being the largest variable. This assumes that the efficiency curves of the engines are similar - which I suspect they are.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Black 50i M-Sport
This guy says his m-sport wheel is heated

Quote:
I just ordered and got a production number from BMW with ZMP,ZMX, and Cold Weather Package (which included item no 248 which is a heated steering wheel). The steering wheel that was accepted with the order was the 7XA M steering wheel with paddles, so it's gotta be heated. CA is still waiting to hear from BMW NA and also headquarters about getting a much more detailed description of ZMX going forward, especially with the lack of identifier for just the 40hp upgrade, which the CA says is done by a computer program at the factory.

Check out this thread. Hoping it is true.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=616251
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 530
Just took delivery of my new X5 5.0 with ZMX/ZMP/CWZ, Premium Sound, Premium Package, Tech Package. Carbon Black Metallic/Cinnamon Brown... During the order process I looked to this forum to see what anyone knew about the overlapping/conflicting packages for the M sport with the 7XA M wheel with Paddles as M wheels did not previously have heat. My CA assured me that the M wheel with paddles under this configuration would come heated and IT DID.
Question resolved.

The car in this build is an absolute beast! Highly recommend.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
Sounds awesome. Really thought about Carbon Black when I leased my '10 4.8 and was concerned about swirl marks, let me know how it works. The dealer did not have any on the lot so I ordered Sapphire and Cinnamon. Lease is up in February and looking at 5.0 with Adaptive Drive and possibly M Sport in either White (w/ M) or Sapphire/Carbon Black on Oyster with Aluminum. Is this your first experience with Carbon Black? Black is so tough to keep clean but it looks the best, in my opinion.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6 50i with M P
2013 x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth GEM View Post
Where did you obtain the 2013 X5 information?
M performance package on BMW's Website says 30 hp on the 50i but below it says 40? anyone know how much more power with the M Performance Package priced around $3,900...?

M Performance Package (ZMX)•Engine upgrade:***9702;

***9702;X6 xDrive35i: +15hp, +30 lb-ft torque
***9702;X6 xDrive50i: +40hp, +30 lb-ft torque

•20" Y Spoke Wheels - Style 336
•Black chrome exhaust tips
•Stainless steel pedals
•M foot rest and door sills
•Shadowline exterior trim
•Anthracite headliner