Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '98 540i/6
Radiator + what else?

I'll apologize in advance for starting yet another cooling system thread. Anyway, here's my issue. As the thread title implies, the radiator is no longer in service due to one of the hoses blowing off the end tank, breaking the connection in the process. I've looked at several threads, but I'm unsure of what to order for the following reason: I literally was driving home from the shop when it happened. Down at the shop, they just replaced many of the parts that are part of or popular riders to a cooling system job including the thermostat, the water pump, all belts, VCG, etc. With that in mind, I naturally will not be ordering any of those parts if not necessary. So in addition to the obvious radiator, what other parts are necessary to get back on the road again?
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
How many miles?

I changed all the tensioners and idler when I overhauled my cooling system 1 1/2 week ago. I also replaced all hoses, the PS and water pump pulleys and the fan clutch.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George16 View Post
How many miles?

I changed all the tensioners and idler when I overhauled my cooling system 1 1/2 week ago. I also replaced all hoses, the PS and water pump pulleys and the fan clutch.
About 154k on the body, engine was replaced and odometer subsequently rolled back ~10k at around 90k (thanks CarFax). The entire belt side just got done so that shouldn't need to be done again a day later. What I'm trying to find out is if the radiator is all I need and if it's more or less a simple disconnect and lift out affair or is it more involved and parts hungry than I currently envision it being?

Sent from my HTC Aria using Bimmer

Last edited by snoopyloopy; 03-27-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Replace the expansion tank and the expansion tank overflow hose to the radiator. Make sure you get the expansion tank from the dealer.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
BY all means, fix you damn cup holders even if they are good! (ok) Really full of myself this morning!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
yes expansion tank is important and get it from BMW dealer.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Alright changed the radiator with no problems, although I left the old expansion tank in as it seemed to be in decent condition. However, I did order the Behr tank from AutoHausAZ. Should I send it back and go get one from the dealer? I've been getting the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message over the last few days, but upon checking it the tank is full and no leaking is apparent. Also, I looked at the receipt from the mechanic again and realized that he didn't actually change everything on the belt side, just the belts themselves and the thermostat/water pump. Which segways nicely into the next issue.
Last night, I left the house and everything was fine. Got on the freeway toward my destination and got off about 10 miles later. After getting off the freeway, noticed that the radiator fan sounds extremely loud--I thought the noise was coming from a truck until I realized there were none around. So I assume that means the fan clutch is on the way out. Is it a part better suited for the dealer or is AHAZ a decent source (or is there another better source)? Also, the difference between Behr vs. Uro isn't unnoticed--the Uro clutch & fan are less than the Behr clutch alone. So is the difference in price reflective of a true difference in quality?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM

I bought my Sachs fan clutch from oembimmerparts. I bought the Behr but the board consensus is that the Sachs is better compared to the Behr.