BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Chads spring refreshment

5K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  drive by72 
#1 ·
So heres my car

DSC_4943 by Chadley.36, on Flickr

What you dont see is the multiple fluids leaking, or trying to watch me go up a hill in the rain. Oh the joys of an open diff...:rolleyes:

So heres the plan. 3.23 LSD acquired. And cleaned....halfassish.

Heres what I started with tonight

Kind of janky. ANyone else notice the giant splash of oil on the fireproofing and all over the top of the engine? I am determined to figure out what dafuq it is.

Heres something interesting. This is where I hook to my CCV on the VCG... it looked wet. I know its not the oil cap nor VCG, and since I know the leak is from the top, I'm gonna keep this in mind as a potential leak :dunno:

More oil, on the lip of the VC by the injector rail

Add more to the confusion, this is by the OFH. Its dry :confused:

And this is how I end my night

Lots to do...

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like lots of fun ahead.....not. Well, except the LSD. :D

That radiator looks sharp. :thumbup:

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#4 ·
No fun at all :rofl: that's the fleabay radiator, still holding up good after a good year now.

Dino, you need to experience my car then, if you think open diff + rain + hill = cake. Once I got stuck going up a hill due to the open diff. So frustrating

I am convinced the leak is front on the engine. Take a look at how dirty it is

I ran the engine while looking for leaks as well. Revved it up and I didn't see anything other than a small bubble inside the recess where the coils sit, on the forwardmost but. But it wasn't spewing, and since the oil was looking above that cover, I do not believe this is my main leak

Attachments

#6 ·
no traction. i thought i fixed the oil leak, but somehow not. i know the vcg is good, new oil cap... dunno what else it could be. im going to retorque all the nuts on the vc to be sure

#8 ·
Big picture dump later, but I think I found the oil leak!

#13 ·
Good thought but it was connected when I started. Assuming you're talkin about the red line, that runs back to the CCV. To which I found mine completely clogged.

Anyway, the source of the oil leak is the VANOS line! I was looking at it, and it looked much wetter than it should. Of course, follow it down and the dried oil follows it. I think theres a hairline break somewhere that doesnt spew until pressurized, and at that not very much. New VANOS line, new OFH gasket, new crush washers on the way. Also, I'm finally replacing the torn intake boot. Nice.

Pictures tell the rest...

I cut a hole out in between the runners on my M50 manifold, as a part of cleaning up the wiring. The M52 mani has a slot for the EVAP valve, the M50 does not. Well, it does now

Uh oh... someone gave Chad a test light and a pick...

Broke the tips of two injectors. No worries I has extras :)

Started cleaning up the OFH area. I do not think its so much the OFH as it is the VANOS line but its all getting replaced while its this far apart

Got wire tucking done on the passenger side as well (sorry no pic for that). SAP delete. Putting the last coat of paint on the rad support today as well as making up a fan shroud for the radiator. gonna try and get the tedious stuff done so by thursday I can have the engine back together and running

lots to do but its coming along

#15 ·
Puddle of oil on top the beauty cover?

#16 ·
Got this sucker on. Just gotta hook up the ccv (hose is being stubborn) and tighten it down. also, sport seats are installed, and exhaust is ready to be bolted back on.

Tomorrow: oil filter housing and vanos line are replaced. Multiple items powder coated. Bumper gets clear coated. Fan shroud will hopefully be made. New gasket for the Tstat housing and such (was leaking slightly). Debating on whether to powder coat the housing or not. If everything goes to plan, I should be able to start re assembly and wire tuck. Few more wires to fix and shrink and the rest should be easy.

Attachments

#17 ·
chad do you remember who you got that rad from? I'm looking for all-metal rad options and i saw and ebay guy selling one for $99. Little hesitant. haha.

#20 ·

Veteran, the radiator I have is a DNA radiator. I think they're still available but it was more than 99 bucks. Closer to 150 IIRC. I'll link you when I find a computer

Dino. Yes lots of work. But so worth it. I would get so mad whenever I saw my car and the puddle it left. Now I won't. Hopefully. :)

#22 ·
Yup. We'll see what happens. I caught word of an 02 STI thats going for sale uber cheap (like 4-5k range) through a coworker. I might sell the truck for said STI. Drive it for awhile. Sell for 6-8k. Then I'll have all teh monies

#24 ·
no no ill have the e36 the whole time. ill use the money i make off the sti to make mad powah with the m52. if i go that route, my power goals will be 500+. probably do pistons and stuff, since i'll have 5k to play with

#27 ·
This holds some truth. The car was in a pretty bad accident. However it was professionally straightened and rebuilt. This is all perspective right now though, the guy selling it is 'im honna sell it today' then a day later 'I'm gonna keep it'. Wel see what happens

#30 ·
Ah yes. Asc delete and replace with m3 boot. Yes indeed

Attachments

#32 ·
Yessir. It's an obd2 thing. It's a terrible system. Now that I have a LSD though I no need it anymore.

Got her running! Then the new exhaust fell out of th hangers. And the icv fell off. So I gotta fix a few quirks but I'm close! And the LSD it awesome :D

#34 ·
This is troof!

#35 ·
Fck me. Damn car rolled into a tree. Well. At least i has s52 cams. So it offsets it...kind of

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.