Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolf View Post
BTW

I contacted BMW USA, they said this is normal for X3 [that is what the dealer said], so nothing can be done about it.
It's probably the only way they can get us to stop complaining. Can they really all be like this? It's not like I'm a 17 year old and this my first car. I'm mid-50's, had lots of cars, including 4x4s. I've even worked with designers / OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers in the auto industry in Europe and the US. I believe I have realistic and knowledgeable levels of expectation.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: X 3
The only way I can get back to BMW is not to buy their cars in the future. I just can not believe the poor standards and shoddy construction.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 AM

I find it hard to believe BMW will find the level of noise I have acceptable. I love the performance, handling, space and economy, I don't believe BMW designed the car to be this noisy. Maybe I'm wrong but I hope not.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 AM

That is exactly my concern too. It is a great car, nice design interior and exterior, nice engine, handling, etc.. but the cabin noise is unacceptable. Even a Hyndai and Kia have quieter cabins.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Our late March 2011 build X3 has been quiet from day one. Some tire noise from the Pirellis P7 all-season tires but I wouldn't call it excessive. And, demo drive in Jan 2011 X3 at dealer, equiped with the larger summer-only tires, was also quiet. So, take heart; this is not a universal problem and should be fixable.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Our late March 2011 build X3 has been quiet from day one. Some tire noise from the Pirellis P7 all-season tires but I wouldn't call it excessive. And, demo drive in Jan 2011 X3 at dealer, equiped with the larger summer-only tires, was also quiet. So, take heart; this is not a universal problem and should be fixable.
I agree, it really should be fixable. My mirror mounts and door seals have be done so the problem seems to lie elsewhere...but where?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Donno

BMW USA says it is normal
Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
I am in the market to replace my 335 over the next year or so. I've always had my eye on the X3 for our next car, but when i read things like this, it makes me feel like the Audi Q5 is the better choice. BMW service and support gets worse every year.

Sad to say, but my next car looks like my first non-BMW in my 'professional' life.
Previous: '02 330i / MT / M-package / Premium -- will miss this near perfect car
Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM

doc.. you wont be the first one to make this call. And wont be the last because, when I buy my next car, I will more than likely opt for a different brand like MB or Audi.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM

The X3 on balance is still better than Q5 overall for my needs. Frustating though.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Dgolf--was the wind/road noise there when you test drove the vehicle? If not go to a different dealer and ask for a ride with the shop foreman or service manager.

Your issue could be dealer related.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x3 35i
Having the same problem 12 model built in feb 2012. Service acted like they had never encountered it before. Anyone taken this problem to Roseville BMW yet?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Avoid Roseville BMW at all costs. Make the drive to Neillo. Ask for Bill.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x3 35i
Thnks for the advice. I have been surprised by the low level of customer service at roseville. The service dept. is definatly better then their sales but still lacking. I was beginning to wonder if this is a BMW experience as I have rarely seen such a level of lax behavior. I will stop by neillo next time. I like that they are family owed vs. autonation. When I got my jeep I checked out an autonation dealer and was surprised by their attitude as well. Has anyone tried the BMW in Reno? We are near Tahoe so nothing is really local for me.

Also on the wind noise it seems they know about it as there was a tsb last year for the 2011. I mentioned this to the service writer and will find out more when I pick up the x. Will post an update.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:27 PM

I believe you'll find the TSB concerns insulation inside the mirror "triangles".
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3/On Order : F10 M5
Maybe you should have gotten an X5 instead
Old 04-08-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
Maybe you should have gotten an X5 instead
An X5 would be quieter but an X3 should not suffer these issues, most modern (non-premium) cars are better than this.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 AM

This is nothing, why don't you google "m3 rattle" and see how an $80,000 car rattles worse than a $20,000 civic. This is how BMWs are my friend, very low quality of product once you are using it, but from outside they look amazing. This is why this (BMW) is one of the most commonly leased car ever, nobody wants to keep it after 3 years.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 AM

This being my 8th BMW I'm reasonably aware of where they cut corners in cost vs Audi (who tend to over-engineer). With M3 you are buying typical 3 Series plus powerful engine....even so it shouldn't rattle, my 335i Vert was fine in that respect.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 AM

The rattle/squeaky noise in the M3 comes from the rubber door seals. With a bit of a research you can see its also common in E60 after about a year of use.

BMWs are not very durable cars. They are very fragile and break very easily. That's just how it is. People exaggarate them, but they are no Ferrari, just glorified regular cars.

For instance, the hood and the bumper of an M3 (any year in E9X, including now, 2012), does not align half the time. If you look at it from a certain angle you can see it easily.

BMW dealerships are also bad, they don't know jack about these cars. You'd be suprised how so many of them doesn't know they need to use a different oil for the M3 or how they should NEVER change the transmission fluid of the DCT whereas the 6MT should not follow this rule.

People spend a lot of money on these cars thinking, they are the "ultimate" driving machines, some even dream about owning one their entire lives, but once they actually use one for a while, the end result (for quality of the car) is always the same, disappointing.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Quote:
The rattle/squeaky noise in the M3 comes from the rubber door seals. With a bit of a research you can see its also common in E60 after about a year of use.

BMWs are not very durable cars. They are very fragile and break very easily. That's just how it is. People exaggarate them, but they are no Ferrari, just glorified regular cars.

For instance, the hood and the bumper of an M3 (any year in E9X, including now, 2012), does not align half the time. If you look at it from a certain angle you can see it easily.

BMW dealerships are also bad, they don't know jack about these cars. You'd be suprised how so many of them doesn't know they need to use a different oil for the M3 or how they should NEVER change the transmission fluid of the DCT whereas the 6MT should not follow this rule.

People spend a lot of money on these cars thinking, they are the "ultimate" driving machines, some even dream about owning one their entire lives, but once they actually use one for a while, the end result (for quality of the car) is always the same, disappointing.
CHILL!!!!!

2009 BMW 328i
Montegoblau Metallic
Beige Dakota Leather
Light Burl Walnut
ZPP/ZCW/ZPP/iPod/USB/CA/SMARTPHONE/MT
ED 6/16/09 M-1224Z
THX IRV R.
BMWCCA Member
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Debadge
BMW Performance Exhaust!!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
Quote:

That's ridiculous garbage. You said BMWs are no Ferrari. Are you serious? Do you know the price difference between a BMW and a Ferrari? What a stupid comment.

Even Ferrari's have problems. Do you know why? Because EVERY car is going to have problems. These are man made machines built with parts that wear out.

The simple fix for the squeaky door seals is taking a damp towel to wipe down the seals once or twice a year and lubricating them. I know because I currently have an E60 and I love it. I've been lucky enough to have 4 different BMWs in the past 10 years and I haven't been disappointed with any of them.

Some of you think that by switching to Audi or Mercedes that your problems will be magically solved. Go read their discussion boards and you'll see that they have problems too. And guess what? They have people on their boards who say, "I am sick of (Audi's or Mercedes') quality. I am switching to BMW."

If you want the most reliable car buy a Lexus. Their history shows they make a good quality product.

Otherwise, trying to pick a German brand that has the best quality is trivial. Pick the brand/car that appeals to you visually and emotionally, because whichever brand you pick chances are you are going to have some problems with it regardless.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivem2 View Post
I've contacted the UK MD (his office, I doubt he's seen my email). The UK National Service Manager will be involved now but unless there's a fault with the car I doubt anything can be done. Here's a list of my concerns:

1) Wind noise from about 60 mph, it sounds like the car is being driven on a blustery day even in still conditions. This noise almost certainly emanates from the large mirrors but it should not enter the cabin.

2) Traffic noise - other vehicles, particularly on the motorway, can be heard loudly. The level of traffic noise is commensurate with wet weather even though the road is dry.

3) External noises such as people talking, passing trucks and car stereos are at a level I would expect from a convertible with soft top (ie not a metal roof).

4) When driving on local roads at say 30 mph in the wet I can hear the water sloshing from the tyres. I'm well aware the RFTs tend to be more noisy than normal tyres but this is not tyre noise per se. Our Mini One is far quieter on wet roads that the X3.
I have now heard back from Customer Services following my writing to the BMW UK MD.

I am told that the noise level in the cabin is determined to be a characteristic of the vehicle and that BMW Germany have advised that no modifications will be released for my vehicle, as they believe that no fault is present on my vehicle.

My expectations are clearly in advance of what BMW believe they should be. BMW seem happy with the the X3 being noisier than other similar vehicles.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Acoustic insulation is a victim of the drive for weight reduction to achieve lower fuel consumption. We all probably should expect it on every model from every manufacturer unless we are paying >$100K US
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton View Post
Acoustic insulation is a victim of the drive for weight reduction to achieve lower fuel consumption. We all probably should expect it on every model from every manufacturer unless we are paying >$100K US
This is what the BMW regional rep told me. The one flaw in this logic is that BMW fit RFTs, which are really heavy......why don't they save weight plus improve comfort and noise too?