Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivem2 View Post
This is what the BMW regional rep told me. The one flaw in this logic is that BMW fit RFTs, which are really heavy......why don't they save weight plus improve comfort and noise too?
The additional weight on 4 RFT probably does not exceed one spare tire.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
The additional weight on 4 RFT probably does not exceed one spare tire.
I see what you are saying and it indeed makes sense to have a spare wheel, even with RFTs....but the UK base spec X3 gets 17 inch wheels fitted with non-RFTs and no share wheel! You get a compressor and tyre weld. So BMW wouldn't provide a spare, just as they don't with the mini too.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM

The latest is that BMW (not the dealer) confirm my car is performing as it should. If I were still driving 35,000 / year I'd be screaming for them to take the car back. My driving patterns have changed and I can live with the noise (just), fortunately performance, economy and space are as expected so all is not lost. It is a very shoddy design if it's really meant to be this noisy.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: ML320, X3 35i M, G8 GT
Our X3 has a distinct wind noise above 40-42 MPH. It sounds as though it is coming from the driver side door/window area. I suppose it could be the mirror. Not sure.

I do LOVE the X3. I don't regret buying it over the Q5. But WITH 20/20 hindsight, had I been forced to take a 2013 with Start/Stop and the noise, I would have settled for the Q5. The X3 is a LITTLE high strung for highway cruising. I think it is a combination of the run flats and the Wind noise. I guess I just want it all, comfort (quiet) and sport. When spending 50K + I would think I could get this.

This is my first BMW, and it won't be my last, but I don't see myself buying a car with Start/Stop. So it will likely be older BMW's or V8's...

Why BMW can't offer Start/Stop defeat as option or extra cost options is beyond me. I hope Dinan or someone figures out how to make the feature work on demand instead of on by default.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:00 AM

The dealer and BMW north UK had my car yesterday. They did some non-standard work on the mirrors and re-aligned the door trim plus rubber scraper on the inside of the front windows - they now are butted up to the window seal at the edge of the door. So now I don't need pieces of foam to plug the gaps. :-)

Noise levels are now where I would have expected them to be, road/RFT noise is now probably more obvious than anything else. The fixes have reduced the level of noise, it's now easy to talk and be understood at over 90mph, previously this was difficult at 70mph. Even more significant is the reduction in harshness - the auto industry talks about NVH, noise, vibration and harshness. The higher frequencies from passing traffic, wet roads and wind noise are now massively curtailed, resulting in reduced harshness.

Now, how do I fix the plasticy vibrational rattle in the upper centre part of the dash? It could the centre speaker rattle people have talked about.

All the dealer needed to do with my X3 was to move the door trim forward a little and the rubber scraper back a little so that there's no gap.

This is before the fix.

Here it is after the fix.

BTW, the right hand yellow circle....I'm not convinced that piece of rubber needs to overlap the frame. The passenger door doesn't and seems ok. It's the left circle where the action needs to be!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011BMWX3 3.5 Twin Turbo
Excessive wind noise in X3 interior

I also noticed the same noise issue when I first drove my 2011 X3 3.5i which was built in April 2011, however, as this was my very first BMW automobile, I assumed it was normal for this type of vehicle.
I've had the vehicle for over a year now and that is basically the only thing I can say I don't like about the X3. I intend to bring this wind noise issue to the attention of Fields BMW in Orlando when I take the vehicle for the 15000 mile service. Hopefully they will be able to resolve the problem.
Will post if the problem can be fixed.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:46 AM

There's more info at http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=591028&page=8

and a temp fix you can try.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 (wifes car)
Reading this is just pissing me off. I do not drive my wifes March '11 build- except to diagnose when she hears something. I took it out the other day after she said she was hearing "wind noise" from the drivers window. Sounds like the same thing other non-Kool Aid drinkers are complaining about. I find it amazing that my over the top loaded Jeep has not seen the service department and this thing is on its third trip to the mavens to figure out what is wrong...
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM

I've had a few loaners and checked other cars, mainly E90 era 3 series. Most have mis-aligned / poor sealing just the same as my X3 so they mostly have wind and especially noise from traffic and wet roads. BMW are not getting on top of this. The same fix on the 5 series has been on the internet for over a year. It's as it they want us to have noisy cars so we get used to it and they can build car more cheaply in future. It really is pathetic.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4MC
Is there a definitive TSB or dealer fix for this. Going to test drive one this weekend, I hate wind noise...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
X3 wind noise

I hear wind noise that appears to be coming from the right rear passenger window of my 2012 X35i. The dealer tells me that he cannot duplicate it, and says that it's normal.

I may have missed it, but are there service bulletins on this issue, or is it in fact "the nature of the beast'?

Thanks.

Richard
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 AM

I wouldn't hold your breath for TSBs. I think there are a few places where BMW need to improve build quality or alter the design of parts so they fit properly in the first place. Maybe they've improved the build quality, which would have prevented the issues a few of us have experienced.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Wind Noise

I drive a 2013 X3 & they dealership is unable to remedy the ridiculous wind noise. It drives me crazy and they insist that they have fixed it. Is anyone else having the same issue. They have already replaced the gaskets around the mirror & it didn't change a thing.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528 Xi
JEPJW
The wind noise still persists after the seal fix. It is shoddy construction by BMW. I will be ditching the X3 after 4 years..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Even Ferrari's have problems.

"Ferrari's" what, exactly?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: X3
how about 2014 X3's?

I know this is a bit old post, but do people still have this issue with the new 2014 X3's?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
I had 2010 X5 and when I bought 2011 X3 I did not any see significant noise road noise- tiny bit increase probably. RFT make more noise compared to other cars. My tires have 50% tread and I see some extra noise and it may have some flat spot or some tread issue but its ok and will have to buy new tires. Darn there is no spare otherwise I would have got non-RFTs
Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
I had 2010 X5 and when I bought 2011 X3 I did not any see significant noise road noise- tiny bit increase probably. RFT make more noise compared to other cars. My tires have 50% tread and I see some extra noise and it may have some flat spot or some tread issue but its ok and will have to buy new tires. Darn there is no spare otherwise I would have got non-RFTs
so the noise issue is a hit and miss then. I haven't seen anyone here posted the same issue with the 2014, so hopefully they have fixed it.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Wind Noise In Cabin - X3

I have a 2014 X3 with 6k miles so far and there seems to be no road noise or insulation problems so far. The car is indeed very quiet. However, for the last 3 days I am hearing driver and passenger seat window rattle whenever i hit a bump or a pothole ( which is everywhere in the city of Boston). I hear this from the top left hand corner of both windows. Anyone has similar issues?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Rattle or squeaks

Mine sounded more like door seals rubbing against the smooth surface of car body especially when car rocks side to side while driving slowly up/down multi-storey car parks. BMW service engineers have a ready fix for it. They stuck some special clear tapes on body side where door seals come into contact with metal part. It's barely visible to the eye. The squeaks are gone for now.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Wind Noise In Cabin - X3

Did you take it to your dealer?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
The squeaks were mainly from the driver's door (right hand drive) at ear level. Started after 4 months and got worse with hot weather conditions. Only during slow drive (<20kph), over uneven surface, on tight turning to right or left, most noticeably when going up ramps in multi-storey car parks when car rocks slightly from side to side.

Yes, I took mine in to BMW Service Ctr. Senior service advisor drove the car and noted the problem immediately. Said it was due to tight new door rubber seals rubbing against smooth metal surface. Engineers stuck a long strip of clear tape (?Teflon) on top edge of the body where the door rubber seals of ALL 4 doors came into contact i.e. all the way from front to back and on both sides! It's been 1 month... no more squeaks