Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Time to write BMW USA... Bring the X1 manual to the US!

I send them a note this morning:

To: customerrelations@bmwusa.com

Greetings,
I currently drive a 2006 BMW X3 3.0i with a six-speed manual, m-sport package, premium package etc. I've loved the new X1 since I saw it in Berlin two summers ago while on holiday. My X3 is six years old, and I plan to replace it in the next two years. The X1 would be at the op of my list, if it had a manual transmission option. If it's automatic only, then it's outside of my consideration set.
Back in 2006, I traded in my 1998 Audi A4 for a 2006 BMW 330Ci convertible, because of the manual transmission. Audi didn't offer the A4 convertible with a manual. I later chose the X3 over other options on the market, because it was the only compact SUV with both all-wheel drive and a manual transmission. By comparison the Audi Q5 is automatic only and the VW Tiguan has a manual, but only in front-wheel drive configurations. If I had to buy a new car today, I would purchase a VW GTI or GTI-R. It's the only German, manual-transmission, four-door hatchback available in the US.
I understand that emissions and safety testing is an expensive process that can limit the number of drivetrain configurations available in the US. That said, the compact, all-wheel drive SUV with a manual transmission is effectively an untapped segment, although perhaps too small a segment.
In case demographics help make the business case, I am a 36-year-old professional living in San Francisco. I work in high-tech and have an undergraduate and a master's degree. Living in the city, means that I need something compact. Going to Lake Tahoe both skiing and backpacking means that I need something all-wheel drive with ground clearance. Please bring the X1 manual to the US!

Sincerely,
James Dailey
San Francisco, CA

History of cars I've owned:
1986 Volvo 760 GLE -- learned to drive on the family car.
Didn't own a car for many years through university and working in Boston Massachusetts.
1998 Audi A4 2.8Quattro Tiptronic -- bought my mother's old car from her when I moved to California in 2001.
2006 BMW 330Ci convertible -- purchased new at BMW Seattle. Chose the BMW over the Audi A4 cabrio, because only the BMW had a manual transmission.
2006 BMW X3 3.0i manual/m-sport/premium/xenons/pdc -- purchase CPO at BMW of Bellevue Washington in 2007 with only 9,000 miles on it. Traded the convertible which was impractical in the Northwest.
2006 Mini CooperS convertible -- purchased used as a second car and sold it roughly a year later. It was incredibly fun, but I needed my second parking space for visitors.
2014 BMW X1 ???
Ads by Google