Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
Orange sprocket with exclamation mark E46 330i- code 59 stall monitoring- Please Help

Hi I have a 2001 BMW 330i and I had an orange light shaped like a sprocket with an exclamation mark in the middle of it. Seems it's a transmission issue? Modis is pulling an error code 59- Stall Monitoring. Can anyone help me figure out what this is and what I can do to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Car runs great but is in limp mode due to light being on. When I clear the code the car runs perfect but after 30 miles or so the light comes back on and the car goes back into limp mode.
No slipping, no hard shifts

Last edited by MauiJ; 02-27-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: change title
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I am not familiar with Modis, but "stall monitoring" would have to do with the torque converter.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 PM

stall monitoring

Thank you. So do I need a new Torque Converter?
What would you recommend as a fix?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJ View Post
Thank you. So do I need a new Torque Converter?
What would you recommend as a fix?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated
It is hard to say. I have seen some replace electrical components and it works again, others are not so lucky. I hate to say it but you need to have it diagnosed by a pro.

Just for the record, my old car did something similar around 140k miles or so, kept dropping into trans limp mode. I figured I would try a trans fluid change because what could it hurt at that point. That did the trick and it went another 54k miles before loosing reverse.

There are far too many factors to say that what worked for me will work for you, but it might be worth a shot.

Good luck!

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
My gut is telling me that the first thing you need to change would be the sensor that's causing that code to be thrown. It is very likely bad and could solve the problem right there. Beyond that, take smolck's advice, or follow his lead (probably more accurate) and change the transmission fluid, filter, etc. http://www.bimrs.org/ is your friend, much more than the dealership...

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
My gut is telling me that the first thing you need to change would be the sensor that's causing that code to be thrown.
Good advice here. We recently had a fester that had some trans codes. I thought it was going to need a new trans, instead it was a $100 sensor and it fixed the problem. These autos are as much electrical as they are mechanical.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Update

OK thanks for the input guys. So I had the car professionally diagnosed and was advised that I had a faulty output shaft speed sensor AKA pulse generator. I replaced that part and car worked for two drive cycles but now the orange sprocket has returned!! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Car runs perfect and shifts perfect when not in limp mode. Really scratching my head on this one.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM

Also....

just wanted to add that when I changed the part, as it is attached to the trans when I dropped the pan I did a fluid change and filter replacement. Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Great DIY guys!

Mein Auto: 325i
Thank You MauiJ for getting some information about the tranny sproket, so I'm watching this post...2 years I've found you on 'fest, you have helped me from doing my first flat-head turn till tonight, but i haven't replied to any threads, but i want to say "thanks" smolk, Now wanna help me pinpoint a solution to transmission with exclamation problem...when I get a thread and read it, the solution is on sooo close but the threads end without closure, seem to find only half answers (yours are polite, but to the point)... so what was my S(!) on my dash, it doesn't keep my tranny from working but it does shift rougher. I don't even know if you know, but worth a chat. Started yesterday, the "D" on my display (gear) disappeared, then the "R" of course the PRND was accurate at the gear selector but not at the display, when I pulled up the gear selector cover I thought that it solved my disappearing D, R, when confirmed that the wires were still connected ( by the way the N would show up on dash and so would M1..M2...when I clicked over to left). Now the transmission/exclamation point showed its ugly head (1 time a year ago it did it until I turned off, then poof, never again, until today) it seems to shift fine but when I stop, tran seems to be activated a bit longer and dies down a little before returning to normal idle ( as if the tranny was still in gear even though i took my foot off accellerator to stop) but I didn't lose a gear or anything. I did just do a flush following diy on 'fest, great write-up by another gentleman, (you gave positive feedback for him) sooo, but thanks for the help over the last 2 years,
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJ View Post
OK thanks for the input guys. So I had the car professionally diagnosed and was advised that I had a faulty output shaft speed sensor AKA pulse generator. I replaced that part and car worked for two drive cycles but now the orange sprocket has returned!! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Car runs perfect and shifts perfect when not in limp mode. Really scratching my head on this one.
Did you try flushing the transmission? I'm having the same problem and I'm trying to get an idea of what the prob might be instead of wasting money repairing unnecessary things .
Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaelDivine View Post
Did you try flushing the transmission? I'm having the same problem and I'm trying to get an idea of what the prob might be instead of wasting money repairing unnecessary things .
As stated in your other thread....you`re responding to something that happened two years ago....check the dates before posting !

Also, read the Sticky Threads at the top of the Forum Page....there`s one specifically for Auto Trans issues.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM

Yes I'm aware I just wanted to know what worked for you cz maybe it would work for me
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Yes I'm aware I just wanted to know what worked for you cz maybe it would work for me
It`s something that`s been addressed a bunch of times.... there`s a lot of good info stored right here. If you learn to utilize the SEARCH function, you`ll find most of what you need to know, while educating yourself in the process.

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Apparently I've already done that! The thing is everyone is saying different things all of which did not fix their problem. A lot of the threads are incomplete. But I guess there's no point in explaining myself to someone that's obviously committed to misunderstanding my. Smh disgusting !
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Apparently I've already done that! The thing is everyone is saying different things all of which did not fix their problem. A lot of the threads are incomplete. But I guess there's no point in explaining myself to someone that's obviously committed to misunderstanding my. Smh disgusting !
Sorry....I don`t know how to drive an automatic....