Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Salt Water Pool system

Yeah, I know... there have been a few threads on this the last few years. Thanks to Prop for all the great information

In the information I reviewed so far, it sounds like annual maintenance cost is the same or less than a chlorine pool? (which I used to own in FL)

What I know less about is how the salt water equipment works. What is the best way to learn about the system and the potential future costs?
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 AM
In a ton of debt...

Mein Auto: Cars
A salt water system uses electricity to generate chlorine, so the economics of the system is dependent on electricity cost in your area. It cost $0.40/kwh where I live, so SWG is actually more expensive than chlorine. In most parts of the country where electricity rates are much lower, SWG is cheaper than chlorine tabs.

Annual maintenance is minimal if the system works correctly. But some people have reported a constant pH creep that they have to chase after.

Most people report a better "feel" from salt water pool.

Check the forums at www.troublefreepool.com for more info.

'02 Porsche 911
'04 BMW 545i
'06 Chevy Silverado 1500
'07 BMW 335i
'08 Lexus RX400H
Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
Another option is to use an UV sanitizer system. It reduces the amount of chlorine needed to 0.5 - 1 ppm, so you don't get that chlorine smell on your body. Check out http://www.deltauv.com/site/Resident...Spas_469_.html
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
I want to kick myself for not converting to saltwater sooner! It transformed the experience you get from swimming. No burn, no "chlorine breathing", nothing! Just silky skin every time you swim. I also go the entire season with no shock or chlorine supplements. The water is always crystal clear. It is worth every penny.

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
The convenience of the system is probably worth the cost of it to most owners. It will produce chlorine at the desired rate and you will end up with clear water all season long, no shock treatment is very common.

BTW, the bad chlorine smell in the pool is not from high levels of chlorine, it actually indicates too low of a level of free chlorine and too much of combined chlorine from fighting all kinds of junk (mostly algae and bacteria) in the pool. If it happens you need to raise your chlorine to shock level and many owners do the opposite and end up with cloudy or green water.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
We have frequently exited the pool, dressed in non swimming clothes and headed out to a casual place to eat. No shower needed, no smell on the skin. This year, after sending the Ozone unit off for repair due to a surge from (what I believe to be) the pool pump, I set up a bit of a 'safety net' for the Ozone system- Marked as ''Prozone' in the pic.

All of this new equipment was less than $250 from Home Depot. This includes the surge protector, the timer, and the mounting boxes/conduit. Since the repair on the Prozone unit was about the same $, it made sense to protect the unit. A new one is about $600. (I think).

Here's what I did (admitting that it is likely over kill, and that I happen to *like* over kill). So far, all is well:
  • Added an in-line whole-house surge protector dedicated to the Ozone unit from the pool pump timer (far right).
    • This is not the power supply for the ozone's timer. The ozone's timer shares 240v from the breaker box with the pool pump. This is so that the timer is always on (you know... keeping time).
    • The Ozone unit derives power via a mechanical switch within the timer. The circuit is complete only AFTER the mechanical timer switches on (safety from surge).
  • Added a timer for the Ozone unit.
    • Set the timer for the Ozone unit to power ON 30 mins after the pool pump timer cycles.
    • Set it to power OFF 30 mins prior to the pump's cycle off.
    • This way, the idea is that ZERO power is going to the Ozone unit while the pump cycles (and potentially surges) on and off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	321605  

Last edited by PropellerHead; 04-19-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
try the Gulf of Mexico, it's cheaper and less hassle

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 04-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
^
Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Salt water pool is fabulous. I have the Circupool RJ-60 from Discount Salt Pool. Com. The salt cell uses electricity and titanium plates to instantly seperately the salt into sodium and chlorine molecules. When this happens it makes a chlorine gas in the salt generator cell that instantly sanitizes the water. I use zero chlorine. I add one bag of salt rejuvenator minerals weekly which keeps the PH in check (salt water pools like to make PH rise). It also controls scale. Your eyes will not burn at all as there is less salt in your pool than what is in the human tear. Hair and bathing suits do not bleach out. Your skin is silky and refreshed. It really makes the pool pretty maintenance free. I definitely recommend it.
http://www.aquachem.com/mp/v/index.j...t=default#tab3
Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 PM

People recommend using muratic acid at least once per season to clean the salt cell. This removes a layer off the plates Everytime you do it thus reducing cell life. Average cell life is 5 years and they cost about $500 to replace. I recommend using white vinegar. It cleans just as well as the muratic acid and does not strip the plates. Your cell will also easily last 10 years with this method.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
People recommend using muratic acid at least once per season to clean the salt cell. This removes a layer off the plates Everytime you do it thus reducing cell life. Average cell life is 5 years and they cost about $500 to replace. I recommend using white vinegar. It cleans just as well as the muratic acid and does not strip the plates. Your cell will also easily last 10 years with this method.
I guess you take the unit apart to do this? I have a salt water system, but frankly I don't venture over to the mechanicals often. It is the only area of my house I don't do everything for ( I have a great pool guy/friend who does an amazing job so I turned the pool over to him so I can merely enjoy it).

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Thanks for all the good responses
Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
Thanks for all the good responses
I just cleaned the pool again today. It's difficult to explain, but the ozone addition working once again reminds me how much I like it. The pool water is super clear and bright as it reflects light. The skimmer looks as if it is swirling club soda or Sprite from the bubbles that are produced. The light seems to cut right through the water and reflect the surface waves onto the bottom. At times, it was difficult to focus on where to brush next from the refraction being so bright on the bottom of the pool.

When in the pool, the surface 'bubbles' almost like you're swimming in carbonated water. When you slash, the water bubbles beneath the surface as well. All of this is just a side effect of what the thing is doing, but it is nice to have it back online.

I cleaned up the crap on the edges in this pic so you can see the bubbles and reflection from the camera phone flash:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer - Copy.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	321980  

Last edited by PropellerHead; 04-22-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I guess you take the unit apart to do this? I have a salt water system, but frankly I don't venture over to the mechanicals often. It is the only area of my house I don't do everything for ( I have a great pool guy/friend who does an amazing job so I turned the pool over to him so I can merely enjoy it).
The salt water generator cell does need to be cleaned. It will get scale on it over time. I will take a picture of mine when I can.