Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 PM
jayp jayp is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 328i 2011
Angry 328i 2011 irritating noise while accelerating

I have a 2011 model 328i which almost from beginning has had an annoying noise while accelerating at low speed.

It is a whining noise, but not quite the "whistle" that some other posters have reported hearing at around 30-40mph - which apparently is diagnosed to differential issue.

I am not sure if my issue is related to above or not. I also hear the above whistle - but that is not bothering me too much.

But I am more irritated about the noise at lower speeds, which almost gives the feeling of the car being underpowered. (think trying to navigate hills in San Francisco - where you constantly break and accelerate).

Anyone else heard this noise?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

This is my 3rd 3-Series. I am bugged enough to consider selling it because of this problem
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Hot Toddy Hot Toddy is offline
Registered User
Location: South Georgia
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I noticed the same whine with my 2011 328i. I installed a BMW Performance Exhaust and a BMW Performance Intake on my car and just overpowered the engine whine. Actually, the PE was enough but I wanted to try the PI as well. I could not stand the engine whine. Maybe I got a little more performance as well, but the big thing is that the car sounds wonderful now.

Hot Toddy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 AM
sonitm sonitm is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
I have a 2011 model 328i which almost from beginning has had an annoying noise while accelerating at low speed.

It is a whining noise, but not quite the "whistle" that some other posters have reported hearing at around 30-40mph - which apparently is diagnosed to differential issue.

I am not sure if my issue is related to above or not. I also hear the above whistle - but that is not bothering me too much.

But I am more irritated about the noise at lower speeds, which almost gives the feeling of the car being underpowered. (think trying to navigate hills in San Francisco - where you constantly break and accelerate).

Anyone else heard this noise?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

This is my 3rd 3-Series. I am bugged enough to consider selling it because of this problem

I drove a 2011 328i xdrive and noticed the same. This was enough to deter me from buying it. Other owners have had the same problem and it seems that the dealership either doesn't know what the problem is or they say it's normal. I don't think it's normal, especially since not all cars have it. I would harass the dealer until they address this properly, if enough people complain, they will have to do something. I really hope you resolve this, selling the car would only transfer the problem to someone else. The 328 is a great car and you should enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is offline
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,156
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
No noises on my 2011 328i / 6MT here.
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 PM
adityab adityab is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington, DC
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i Sedan
My 09 makes a wheezy sound too. I think it might be gear whine from the GM-built tranny. I've convinced myself it's sexy.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 PM
VirtuousWolf VirtuousWolf is offline
David
Location: Mission/Lubbock Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 383
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i Sport ^_^
My 06 makes a whine that is high pitched like if it's trying to give me a hearing test, is that what you guys are talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM
jayp jayp is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 328i 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuousWolf View Post
My 06 makes a whine that is high pitched like if it's trying to give me a hearing test, is that what you guys are talking about?

I don't know if I would call it a high pitched noise. It just sounds as if the car is trying to do too much work, when it shouldn't really be.

Unfortunately the noise is quite bothersome
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 PM
jayp jayp is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 328i 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Toddy View Post
I noticed the same whine with my 2011 328i. I installed a BMW Performance Exhaust and a BMW Performance Intake on my car and just overpowered the engine whine. Actually, the PE was enough but I wanted to try the PI as well. I could not stand the engine whine. Maybe I got a little more performance as well, but the big thing is that the car sounds wonderful now.

Hot Toddy
Thanks for providing a specific potential solution. How much approx do PI + PE cost?

Anyone else tried about solution?

If this works, I may actually keep my 328i (everything else is great!).

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 AM
igleei igleei is offline
Registered User
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2011 e92 328i lci
My 328i makes the exact same noise as yours and the 'whistle' at 30-40mph. Dealership believes its all from the differential so they're replacing it under warranty tomorrow. I'll let you know if that fixed the problem or not.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Meiac09's Avatar
Meiac09 Meiac09 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,282
Mein Auto: 3er
I went from an '06 325 to a '11 328 that I ordered and picked up at the Welt. I noticed the whining when test driving other '11s and figured it's normal.

My plan is like that above, but can't decide between BMW PI and PE, or the Remus power sound I fell in love with on an e83 x3 back in '06
I'm also interested in what that kit ran. The power is fine, and I like the delivery compared to the 335, the only thing I really want is a loud and powerful sound that this "lease to american conquests" model doesn't have.
__________________

Last edited by Meiac09; 02-29-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 PM
jayp jayp is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 328i 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by igleei View Post
My 328i makes the exact same noise as yours and the 'whistle' at 30-40mph. Dealership believes its all from the differential so they're replacing it under warranty tomorrow. I'll let you know if that fixed the problem or not.
Please let us know how this went.

thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM
igleei igleei is offline
Registered User
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2011 e92 328i lci
I just got my car back and all the noises seem to be gone...

The noises i had were
1. When accelerating from a stop, the car would make a small whine noise which seems to be what the OP was referring to.
2. A pretty loud whistle when driving anywhere between 20-50mph
3. Fluctuating level of whining when decelerating and coming to a stop.

So for now...it seems all of them were from the differential..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 AM
sonitm sonitm is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by igleei View Post
I just got my car back and all the noises seem to be gone...

The noises i had were
1. When accelerating from a stop, the car would make a small whine noise which seems to be what the OP was referring to.
2. A pretty loud whistle when driving anywhere between 20-50mph
3. Fluctuating level of whining when decelerating and coming to a stop.

So for now...it seems all of them were from the differential..
Is your car drive or RWD?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2012, 07:00 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by igleei View Post
I just got my car back and all the noises seem to be gone...

The noises i had were
1. When accelerating from a stop, the car would make a small whine noise which seems to be what the OP was referring to.
2. A pretty loud whistle when driving anywhere between 20-50mph
3. Fluctuating level of whining when decelerating and coming to a stop.

So for now...it seems all of them were from the differential..
Does N54 use a diff diff? Mine was totally quiet.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Zengineer Zengineer is offline
Registered User
Location: Oklahoma City
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Greetings - just purchased an 09 328i and it has a similar mechanical/gear-like whine at low speeds and then the "hearing test" type frequency between approx. 30 and 50 mph. I'll take it in and inquire and post if I get any helpful info from the dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
igleei igleei is offline
Registered User
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2011 e92 328i lci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitm View Post
is your car drive or rwd?
rwd
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM
jayp jayp is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 328i 2011
I am taking my 328i tomorrow to dealership in the hopes that they will change/fix the differential under warranty. If any one has tips on how to convince them, would appreciate it. Will post my results. Thanks.

Last edited by jayp; 04-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
salvation salvation is offline
BMW. There's Nothing Else
Location: Germany (Bavaria)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 158
Mein Auto: 2010 328i Coupe ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
No noises on my 2011 328i / 6MT here.

Same here as well.
__________________


1991 BMW 525i 5MT ~R.I.P

1997 BMW 316i 5MT Angel Eye Xenons w HID/ Raceland Coilovers / 18in Beyern Mesh Rims / Pirelli Zero Nero M&S tires ~SOLD

2010 BMW 328i 6MT current: ZSP

**Looking For** 97-2000 M3!
**Near Future** 2011 x6

For me it is an art, my car is the brush in which I choose to apply the paint. The road is our canvas, and it is to that end, that she and I will paint endlessly into our old age.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
HHIChemist HHIChemist is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
No noises on my 2011 328i / 6MT here.
No such noises from my 2011 328 AT AWD.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
328i, noise


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms