Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750 LI
Car Washing

Guys, what's the best products for a complete wash wash and detail?

EXT
Washing
Claying
Waxing
Polishing
Head/Tail Lights

INT
Carpet Spots
Wood trim
Headliner
Vinyl N Leather cleaner
Door Panel Scuffs
Windshields

Thanks Guys
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM

Seriously! No one! Lol don't have to have a product for all that's listed. Atleast a few!

Please and thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745Li
go to autogeek.net. The website is great. Stay away from the super expensive products, not necessary. They will help you. Also try baby wipes to clean the whole interior and as the wipe gets dirty throw it out. A $2 box will clean the whole car. Touch base with questions.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM

EXT
Washing
Claying
Waxing
Polishing
Head/Tail Lights

INT
Carpet Spots
Wood trim
Headliner
Vinyl N Leather cleaner
Door Panel Scuffs
Windshields

Thanks Guys

FOR WASHING REGULAR DISH SOAP FOR NOW. THEN A GOOD CAR WASH SOAP WHEN WAXED. CLAY CAR FIRST, THEN POLISH, THEN WAX. HEADLIGHTS THEY MAKE A CLEANER BUT YOU MAY HAVE SOME LEAKAGE INSIDE. THE HEADLINER (SPRAY) WITH A CARPET CLEANER IN A CAN FROM WALMART. VACCUM IT UP. COVER THE WHOLE INTERIOR FIRST. YOU CAN USE FOR THE CARPET AS WELL. USE A TOOTHBRUSH TO SCRUB. LET DRY WITH WINDOWS OPEN AND IN THE SUN. WINDSHIELDS WITH WINDEX (CLAY OUTSIDE OF THE WINDOWS AS WELL). WOOD TRIM (PLEDGE) LEATHER WITH WARM SOAP AND WATER (MILD SOAP) LEXOL LEATHER CONDITIONER. CARPET SPOTS MAY NOT COME OUT IF SERIOUSLY STAINED. SCUFFS CAN BE TAKEN OUT WITH THE CARPET CLEANER AND A SOFT TOOTHBRUSH.

GOOD LUCK.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captpola View Post

EXT
Washing - Zaino Z7, Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine Or Chemical Guys Citrus Wash And Gloss
Claying - Mothers Clay Bar (Fairly good clay for most cars), Clay Magic Medium Clay (Good for heavily contaminated cars) and Zaino Clay (Not that great)
Waxing - Zaino Z2, Z5, Z6, ZFX, Meguiars NXT 2.0 Paste Wax, Turtle Wax ICE
Polishing: Optimum Bodyshop Compound, Optimum Bodyshop Polish, Meguiars M105 & M205
Head/Tail Lights - You can use polish on these, but if you want a complete restoration, Sylvania kit by a mile.

INT
Carpet Spots - Folex Carpet Cleaner or Woolite Carpet Cleaner
Wood trim - Zaino AIO or a wipedown followed up with some wax/sealant
Headliner - Woolite Solution (6:1 Water to woolite) in blots
Vinyl N Leather cleaner - Lexol Leather cleaner & Conditioner, Zaino Leather Conditioner and Cleaner, Leatherique Oil and Cleaner
Door Panel Scuffs - Woolite Solution mentioned aboved followed up with Leather Conditioner or 303 Aerospace UV protectant
Windshields - Stoners Invisible Glass (cleaner) followed up by a treatment of Aquapel every 6-8 months

Also use 303 Aerospace protectant on rubber seals to keep them healthy and fresh! As far as wheel cleaner goes, I've heard a number of good things about SONAX however I prefer to use OTC stuff or just car wash solution.

Thanks Guys
It's going to differ by person and the exact stuff needed for the car but here's what I use/have for each above. Also here's my step by step for washing a car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
Here are the supplies you will need:

1. A good car wash soution that has a bit of suds. Zaino Z7 and Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss some great ones that you can buy online!
2. A long garden hose so you won't hit the side of the car with the hose and a multi-Nozzle
3. 2 Buckets at a Minimum
4. Sheepskin Wash Mitts
5. Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels use the large ones!
6. (optional) A few fleece blankets
^ for washing the body of the car

For the wheels and other portions of the car (washing the wheels in the street or near a gutter FIRST works well, brake dust will stain driveways):
1. An EZ detail brush
2. A wheel face brush
3. Wheel cleaner (I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss 2 oz per gallon for mine)

Wheel washing steps:
1. Park the car on the street or near a gutter to minimize staining a drive way.
2. Rinse the wheels off (stand back at least 5 feet) with a powerful spray nozzle (AKA the JET function on those multi-nozzles) (read your bottle of wheel cleaner first! If it says not to rinse first then don't)
3. Apply your wheel cleaner to the inside of the wheel. I like to turn the bottle sideways and spray behind the spokes onto the barrel of the wheel and then spray the face a few times
4. Let dwell for a few second and then go at it with your EZ Detail brush starting at the top of the wheel
5. Now use your wheel face brush and clean off the face
6. Rinse and your done!

Beware that some wheel cleaners are acidic and caustic and can damage skin or can be harmful if you inhale it! That's why I like to use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss, it's a great wheel cleaner that gets rid of brake dust without harming your hands and plus its not expensive like other wheel cleaners!

Now you are ready to wash your car!

Car washing Steps:
1. First park the car in the shade and make sure all of your windows are closed and as well open the fuel door and make sure that the cap is tight (don't close the fuel door)

2. Take your buckets and rinse them out. Then put a little bit of water at the bottom, then add some soap and continue filling with the rest of the water (in both buckets). This will help mix the soap in well. Halfway though filling put your mitts into one of the buckets.

3. One of the bucket you just filled will be a rinse bucket, the other will be a wash bucket. So when you use the mitt you rinse it out in one bucket, then dip it in the wash bucket and then continue washing your car.

4. Take the hose and lightly spray down your car to help cool off the surface if warm and as well to dislodge any large particles.

5. If you have severe bugs stuck to your front bumper and hood, dip a fleece blanket into the bucket with the mitts and place over the front bumper. This will help the bugs rehydrate and will aid in removal.

6. Take your Wash Mitt and start with the roof of the car WHATEVER YOU DO NEVER GO IN CIRCLES. I like to do half the roof and then rinse my mitt and then do the other half.

7. Move on to your windows and the pillars/arches at the top of the car (rinse mitt as soon as it starts looking dirty)

8. Move to the trunk lid and wash

9. Then star with Half of the front door and rinse, then finish the other half. Repeat with the other doors.

10. By now the roof of the car may be drying off, you don't want to let the soap dry. Just soap it up and any other panels as necessary.

11. Now start to do the rear bumper, I like to split it up in 4 parts, the left side, then the back in 2 parts and then the right side. Rinse your mitt after you do each part.

12. Now take off the fleece blanket off the front bumper and hood and rinse those parts off with water. Then take your mitt and use it on the hood and bumper. Rinse frequently so you don't get the bugs caught in the mitt.

13. Now that the car is all done being washed take a gentle stream of water DIRECTLY from the hose and start with the hood and use the technique of drying with water as shown below:

14. Take your Large Waffle Weave Drying towel and fold it in half so its close to being a square. Drape it on the roof and then hold it by 2 corners. Then pull back and let the towel glide over the surface and suck up all the water. For vertical panels fold the towel again and use light pressure with your hand to wipe. Use straight motions and no circles!

Now your car is washed! You can apply a wax or a sealant of your choice!

Common misconceptions about washing your car:
1. Wash in Circles -> NEVER DO THIS! This causes swirl marks that look like spider web scratches all over the car!
2. You can wash with dish soap -> Dish soap is meant for dishes, Car soap is meant for cars. You wouldn't use Chemical guys Citrus Wash and Gloss as a bodywash would you?
3. I can use a old rag or sham-wow or chamois to dry the car -> Nope, an old rag will smear dirt and rub it into the paint as you dry, a sham wow and a chamois will also rub any dirt that's floating in the air into your paint. A soft plush Waffle weave towel has pockets to help avoid rubbing in dirt and as well requires almost no effort to dry! You can even pat dry with a Waffle Weave if you want to!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: MB S500/750Li Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
go to autogeek.net. The website is great. Stay away from the super expensive products, not necessary. They will help you. Also try baby wipes to clean the whole interior and as the wipe gets dirty throw it out. A $2 box will clean the whole car. Touch base with questions.
You don't necessarily need baby wipes. I prefer using microfiber towels by themselves because they collect absolutely everything! Adding 1Z Einzett Cockpit Premium makes it perfect

2008 BMW Individual E66 750Li
2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 W220
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: cars
I've changed out a few of the products since this post, but you can get a general idea.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...optimum&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznwhip View Post
Good setup. Which de-ionizer do you use? I'm using CR Spotless.

Here's my regimen I wrote up for one of the detailing forums I'm on, and yes, I have OCD lol.

Schedule gets tweaked depending on if I have a show coming up and I'll tweak some LSP products depending on if the show is outdoor (natural lighting) or indoor (artificial lighting). Including acronyms you'll find out there on the web.

Equipment
CR Spotless Water De-Ionizing System
Snap-On 1800 PSI Pressure Washer
Camspray Foam Cannon
Brinkmann Maxfire
Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer w/ counterweight
Lake Country 5.5" Backing Plate
Wolfgang 3.5" Backing Plate
Bissell Steam Shot
Husky Wet/Dry Vac
HD Bucket
Grit Guard
Gilmore Hoses, Shut-off Valves, and Quick Connects.

Towels, Pads, Sponges, and Brushes
Uber NoName Microfiber Towels (for paint and interior surface)
Meguiar's Water Magnet WW Drying Towels
DI Glass Polishing Towels
Cobra Black Microfiber Towels (for wheels and exhaust)
Lake Country 6" and 4" pads.
DI Sheepskin Mitts
DI Microfiber Gloves
Uber Boar's Hair Brush
Meguair's Versa Wheel Brush
Swissvax Detailing Brush
Daytona Wheel Brush
Daytona Mini-Wheel Brush
SM Arnold Barrel Brush
Pinnacle Foam Pads
Vroom Microfiber Pads
Lowes Grout Sponge
Interior Detailing Tapered Sticks
SM Arnold Upholstery Brush
DI Tire Dressing Foam Pads

Maintenance - Weekly
1. Spray Tire with P21S Total Auto Wash (TAW). Let dwell for a few minutes, then brush.
2. Spray Wheel and Calipers with P21S Wheel Gel. Let dwell for a few minutes, then agitate with brushes and microfiber gloves.
3. Rinse down.
4. Move to next wheel/tire.
5. After all 4 done, Bissell Steam Shot on hard/impossible to reach crevices and angles.
6. Foam Car down with Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II, let dwell for a minute.
7. 1 bucket method with clean water grit guard and wool mitt agitate, rinsing mit at least once per panel.
8. Pressure wash soap off, then sheet water for dry.
9. Spray Finish Kare 425 (FK425) on panel before blot drying with waffle weave towel.
10. (optional as needed) Pinnacle Maintenance clay if light, or DI Medium grade clay if heavy embedded contaminant with Optimum No Rinse (OPT ONR) Quick Detail (QD) dilution. Then rinse off again.
11. Duragloss Aquawax (DG AW) to boost existing last step process (LSP).
12. Optimum Opti-Clear sealant on wheels.
13. Optimum Opti-Bond tire dressing on tires.
14. Stoner's Invisible Glass on glass.

Basic Detail - Monthly (as modified from maintenance)
6. (replace) Foam Car down with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear (CG CW&C), let dwell for a minute.
10-1. Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze (Recommend Black Hole for dark color cars, or just CG EZ-Creme Glaze for all colors, but I've found PB shade specific glazes to work better)
10-2. Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ) Sealant, but switching to Menzerna Power Lock as soon as I finish my current FMJ supply. Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant for shows.
10-3. Dodo Juice Light Fantastic carnauba wax. Dodo Juice Supernatural carnauba wax for shows.
11. DG AW as topper. Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Spray wax for shows.
15. P21S Polishing Soap for Exhaust.
16. Bissell Steam Shot Engine and harder to reach door jamb parts.
17. Dress plastics in Chemical Guys Fade2Black.

Full Detail - Half Year (as modified from Basic Detail)
10-0-1. 3M Blue tape all trim and edges.
10-0-2. Depending on level of paint defect, polish with Menzerna Super Intense Polish (SIP) or Menzerna Power Finish (PF) and jewel with Menzerna 85RD.
10-0-3. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound for door handle cup.
10-0-4. Iso-Propyl Alcohol (IPA) wipe down.
18. Treat rubber with 1Z Einszett Gummi Pflege.
19. (Optional) For rainy half of year, treat windows with PPG Aquapel.

Interior - As Needed
1. Clean Leather with Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner with Vitamin E & Aloe.
1.1 Clean Leather with Letherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvinator (Yearly).
2. Clean Plastics with 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium.
3. Protect Plastics with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
4. Vacuum Carpet with wet/dry vac.
4. Treat carpets with Folex spray and agitate.
5. Spray near boiling water on carpet.
6. Extract with wet/dry vac.
7. Protect with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard.

Headlight Restoration
1. Clay headlights with aggressive clay (4 years).
2. 3M Blue tape off edges (4 years).
3. Diamondite Clear Plastic Enhancer on 4" foam cutting pad on machine (4 years).
4. Diamondite Clear Plastic Restorer on 4" foam light cutting pad on machine (4 years).
5. Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor on microfiber applicator pad (every basic detail).

Last edited by aznwhip; 04-19-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LI
I need to bookmark this thread.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Ok now the question is about the "porter cable random orbitaler" safe to use myself for the first time? What's it purpose? I'm guessing polishing and waxing but does it remove swirls and scratches?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Ok now the question is about the "porter cable random orbitaler" safe to use myself for the first time? What's it purpose? I'm guessing polishing and waxing but does it remove swirls and scratches?
PC is probably the best intro buffer out there and you have to like really try to damage your vehicle paint for it to damage your vehicle paint. It can be used to remove paint defects such as swirls and light scratches (not scratches that have gone past your clear coat into your paint though). You can use it for compounding, polishing, and applying LSPs (Glazes, sealants, waxes). You can use it to help clean up your headlights, and clean your windows. Application depends on what pad you use (wool, foam, microfiber, etc) and chemical.

Last edited by aznwhip; 04-20-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
The Porter Cable or any good random orbital is a great detailing tool that almost anyone can use! I takes a little more than common sense to use properly however you'll be hard pressed to try and damage your car and the paint on it.

Using the PC, you can remove scratches and swirls (with the right compound/polish and pads) and as well use it to apply waxes, sealants, etc.

Basically anything you would do with your hand (beside washing and drying) to a car's paintwork, the PC can do including claying.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i,
This is a great thread...

Where do you get the "Waffle Towels"? I have been looking for a good towel to dry the car off and have not heard of these towels.

Any particular brand?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Chemicalguys.com just bought a large waffle weave towel for 10 bucks. On sale right now
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Ok great, I'll look into buying a PC, how often do you use it? Any good deals around right now?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman1212 View Post
This is a great thread...

Where do you get the "Waffle Towels"? I have been looking for a good towel to dry the car off and have not heard of these towels.

Any particular brand?
There is where I get my towels. Very high quality, well made, and great wholesale price.

www.stocktowelsnow.com/

Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Honey Badger 2.0

Mein Auto: '08 750Li
Quote:
Ok great, I'll look into buying a PC, how often do you use it? Any good deals around right now?
I picked one up on Amazon for about $100 about 6 weeks ago; I had been looking at them but not pulled the trigger, they sent me an email for one at 50% off and I pulled the trigger.

Life is too short for bad tone or crappy cars.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Honey Badger 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznwhip View Post
There is where I get my towels. Very high quality, well made, and great wholesale price.

www.stocktowelsnow.com/

Those are great prices, I'll be ordering from them. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 PM

What I use is 2 buckets. One with water only and one with soap and water. a Microfiber mitt for washing. If car is real dirty and dip in water to loosen dirt, etc. I have a small pressure washer 2100 psi 1.9 gallons per minute (wal mart) that I use when I wash car. If it does not rain and you have only dust the pressure washer is all you need. Great for removing brake dust. Then I use a back pack blower (Red Maxx) well worth the investment. After you air dry most of the water, then you can use a large microfiber towel ($9 @ walmart). That is all you need. A chamois is good for the windows (out and in). Then a small towel for the inside of the doors, etc. A good back pack blower is worth the investment if you have more than one car. I can dry a car and not have to ring the chamois or towel. Also chamois have a tendency to strip wax while air will not touch the paint. Microfiber towels are better. Also a 5 foot ladder or step ladder helps for the roof. We rotate pressure washers with the neighbor. That way every other car wash you have to hook up your pressure washer. With these quick connect male/female adapters (home depot, sears), it takes less than one minute to get the pressure washer going. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
Just ordered my group of Zaino products I can't keep ignoring all the good reviews. This is what I got of zainostore.com.....

ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal

Can't Wait....

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Meguiars... Nuff said!

GALAXY Tab ~ Powered by ANDROID!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Meguiars... Nuff said!

That's what I've been using for the past year.....gonna change it up and see what differences I noticed.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Bimmer App

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Old 04-27-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
When it comes to waxes and polishes (as long as they are all good quality) there is very little difference between them. For darker car use a Showroom car glaze first. For black cars a "sealant" is best on the hood, roof and trunk (wax melts off) in the summer. But a car must be clayed properly once a year before putting on a glaze, sealant or wax. Wax is always last. Otherwise the protection will not last too long. Prepping the paint is very very important.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Honey Badger 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Meguiars... Nuff said!

Roger that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1335533560.447680.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	322677  

Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busurfer View Post
Roger that!
Noice!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 Li
I ahve always used Griots garage stuff (clay, soap, best of show wax, speed shine, rubber dressing, chrome polish, interior cleaner, etc) for our vintage/show car with amazing results. Car was painted about 10 years ago and still looks new (we drive it 2-3k miles/year). They are starting to sell some of their stuff at autozone now.
They also have great microfiber towels - the blue ones are ridiculously soft...