Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
anyone test drive the Mercedes ML350?

How does it compare to the X5?
Ads by Google
Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
It will be smaller (slightly) and probably have a "better ride" but will not have the crisp handling of the X5. I want to try one myself but have not had a chance to drive the new one yet. From what I have heard and read it is a quantum leap over the last years' offering.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I owned the gas 2005 version, the first year of the previous redesign. We really liked that car, handled well, plenty of power but a little small.

In January this year I drove the 2012 blutec, it was nice but didn't really inspire either of us in any way. It was very comfortable, civilized, decent power/acceleration, etc. I don't care for the looks, but the last one was ugly too and we learned to love it.

I drove both the 2012 X5 35d and the ML 350 blutec on the same day. Bought the X5 and could not be happier. I have the sport activity package with 20's and like the firmer ride.

Last edited by rodnjen; 03-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
within the last 30 days I have driven the diesel ml, the gas ml, and both the x35i and d. they feel night and day different. the mb's both feel like vaults on wheels and drive like big suvs, both x's drive much smaller and handle, accelerate better. the new mb has a much nicer cabin in my opinion. I ended up ordering a x35d

powered by lemings
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronj2005 View Post
How does it compare to the X5?
ML feels much bigger driving it, it's quieter, it has a nicer interior and a smoother ride than the non AD equipped X5. It does not feel as powerful, it has lazy handling and it's boring to drive. I test drove both diesels and I bought the X5d with a cheaper interior a worthless navigation system, the dreaded run flat tires and a much noisier diesel engine - go figure!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
ML feels much bigger driving it, it's quieter, it has a nicer interior and a smoother ride than the non AD equipped X5. It does not feel as powerful, it has lazy handling and it's boring to drive. I test drove both diesels and I bought the X5d with a cheaper interior a worthless navigation system, the dreaded run flat tires and a much noisier diesel engine - go figure!
Hahaha, bolded for the truth

OP, new ML came out a couple months after I bought my X5d, but I did drive the last generation Bluetec last year, even though I really didn't want a Mercedes. It was slower, returned worse fuel economy, had the same stupid run flats (at least BMW gives us a spare if we pay, MB doesn't even have a spot for it because the urea tank goes there).

It's smoother, quieter, and has a better interior. MB COMAND sucks (it's clearly steps back form iDrive). The dealer is literally a 2 minute drive from my house.

Prior poor MB experiences (my father had an 02 ML320 which was a POS) and their poor resale values (residuals are considerably lower than that of BMW X5) pushed me away. I enjoy a sportier car, therefore I tend to gravitate towards BMW and Audi.

I have seen a couple new MLs on the road recently and it looks a lot more Asian for some reason. But the new interior is tremendous. BMW needs to step it up in the next gen
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
OP, new ML came out a couple months after I bought my X5d, but I did drive the last generation Bluetec last year, even though I really didn't want a Mercedes. It was slower, returned worse fuel economy, had the same stupid run flats (at least BMW gives us a spare if we pay, MB doesn't even have a spot for it because the urea tank goes there).
Only quibble here is on the fuel economy. The ML routinely returns 2 mpg better than the X5. Not sure how you determined that on a test drive?

Quote:
It's smoother, quieter, and has a better interior. MB COMAND sucks (it's clearly steps back form iDrive). The dealer is literally a 2 minute drive from my house.
COMAND is absolutely terrible...even compared to the last gen iDrive. Ridiculous that they offer such a poor system.

If I lived that close to my MB dealership....I might not be typing this, they frustrate me so badly.

Quote:
Prior poor MB experiences (my father had an 02 ML320 which was a POS) and their poor resale values (residuals are considerably lower than that of BMW X5) pushed me away. I enjoy a sportier car, therefore I tend to gravitate towards BMW and Audi.
I can't even begin to explain how horrible our experience with our MB dealership and MB Canada has been. The vehicle itself is pretty decent. It targets a different demographic than the X5 but certainly has it's own strengths. The blatant dishonesty, price gouging and lack of customer service will result in us NEVER owning another MB from Calgary (same ownership group owns both dealerships ). Too bad...wife was prepared to drive another one and I was quite interested in the C63 BS.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Hate to jack the thread

but I had a Merc GLK as a rental and it was great. Tight, handled well great acceleration. Wouldn't hesitate to buy. In contrast same place gave me an E class weeks before and it was a sled.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus
I had the chance to drive the car,as mentioned it is nice but during my test drive ,speed was around 35 miles in a little windy road I almost lost the control of the car with that steering wheel and body rolling.Goodbye MB
Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: M3
MB used to make their cars pretty good - more of iconic luxury line up. But build quality has gone down pretty rapidly in the last 10 years. My buddies who used to work as a tech at MB dealer said these cars are simply just build "not" correctly. Starting from electrical things to quality of craftmanship. They constantly have to deal with incompatibility of electrical stuff that does not coomunicate well with the computers.

But, on a good side, he said the flagship of MB line up (the S class and SL) seems to have less problems.

2004 E46 M3 SMG (CB/CIN) - i miss it
2004 E46 M3 6 speed (AW/BLK) - First love... broke up...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: ML550
I am owning '07 E350 and '11 ML550. The command of E much better than ML, even 2012 model. Mercedes is going backward on technology.
August 2011, I bought a BMW 550i, all I have to say "why I never think of BMW". I drove 2011 X5 50i, X5 interior is look aged, I wait for next generation.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
but I had a Merc GLK as a rental and it was great. Tight, handled well great acceleration. Wouldn't hesitate to buy. In contrast same place gave me an E class weeks before and it was a sled.
Seriously?

We had a GLK loaner last month...and just like the first time we drove it...I was amazed at what a complete POS it was. Absolute joke for a luxury vehicle, never mind a Benz.

Can't even fathom where you're coming from. Almost bought a 2012 E-class and would never even consider a GLK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikbas View Post
I had the chance to drive the car,as mentioned it is nice but during my test drive ,speed was around 35 miles in a little windy road I almost lost the control of the car with that steering wheel and body rolling.Goodbye MB
You apparently need driving lessons far more than a new vehicle.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

Almost bought a 2012 E-class and would never even consider a GLK.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
I have the driven the new ML350 petro model (a friend of mine purchased one).

I do not like anything about the vehicle. It looks enormous, yet the inside is smaller than the X5; the dashboard sits very high and everything feels cheap. The seats aren't even leather! There is a problem in construction: the door hinges are weak; on the X5 they are heavy and thick; on the new ML, they are two latches that look like they will snap off any second. The list goes on.

As with the performance; it's not very fast, and the handling is soft. Even with active steering, it's loose. At the tightest point, it's not as tight as my X5. The brakes are tiny for a car this heavy. It's like Mercedes decided to cut every single corner they could.

And I read it's shares the platform with then new Jeep Grand Cherokee. I never liked American cars, so it's no surprise I'm not a fan of this new ML one.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The GLK I drove was superb. Solid, quiet, and very roadworthy. I would not hesitate to get one if it only had a diesel! The gasser V6 is powerful enough but does not get the mileage that the inline turbo 6 from BMW gets. However a diesel GLK using the very competent MB oil burner would be outstanding. The ML does share some under carriage parts with both the new JGC and Durango -- which has made both those much better vehicles. The interior in the new Overland JGC is really nice and it is a quantum leap forward from previous years'. This next MY the JGC will offer the very nice turbo diesel V6 from VM Motori (owned by Fiat and GM) for US/North American sales. It will be interesting to see how that combination stacks up against the Audi/BMW/MB/VW "big" diesels.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I did test drive the 2012 m class really liked it but wasn't looking for a brand new car.i may consider it next time I'm in the market.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Jerry

Mein Auto: 2O08 X5 4.8 & 2010 IS350C
I test drove both the ML550 and X5 4.8 and came to a conclusion that the ML is the complete opposite of the X5. It rides a lot smoother, impossible to see the front of the SUV, leather is softer when compared to the Nevada leather, and quieter.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
stay away from mercedes...just my opinion
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
stay away from mercedes...just my opinion
Why? because MB has significantly better reliability than BMW?

Most recent JDPower put MB higher than BMW, Audi, Nissan, Honda, Acura, etc
Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
I can't believe porsche is up there with lexus and toyota...

2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.