Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 325xi ZSP
Unhappy Damnit...I have to sell my car

After 1 year of up and down moments(mostly down :P), my car finally drive without any problems or check engine. A few weeks ago I applied to a better University than mine because they had a better program. I did it thinking I will get denied but I got accepted (YESSS ). The thing is it's out of town, 5h away from my parents (I still live with them) and I'll have to pay rent and everything else so I will have to sell my car. I hate this. My thread is not really a question, I just wanted to share my disappointment. In another way, I'm still really exited and it's a new experience.

To be honest, I never thought I will be affected that way because of a car. You know the worst part is? I have about 3k worth of parts in my room...I was just waiting for sunny days.

Damn you e46s.

English is not my first language. Sorry for the mistakes.
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Better idea is to find a way and work harder to afford what you already have than to sell it and settle for less.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM

If I need a car it will be the first I'll do. After all the time and money I invested I know I can rely on the car for another 1-2 years without any repair. The thing is in the town I'm going, the bus is free for students and everything is close to the University. :/

Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Manualaholic

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
I think you're making the right decision. There are too many threads that go, "College student on tight budget, need to fix my BMW cheap!". I think of all those cars being neglected and that is saddening. Much more saddening than selling your car. Congratulations on your acceptance as well!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 323is
Hurry up and finish school so you can buy a brand new m3

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefoot33 View Post
I think you're making the right decision. There are too many threads that go, "College student on tight budget, need to fix my BMW cheap!". I think of all those cars being neglected and that is saddening. Much more saddening than selling your car. Congratulations on your acceptance as well!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
I hope I will not be on this category! :P I wasn't planning that at all, if I didn't have to move out I will have the budget to keep the car running and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavera View Post
Hurry up and finish school so you can buy a brand new m3

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
How you did to read my mind?!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikes007 View Post
If I need a car it will be the first I'll do. After all the time and money I invested I know I can rely on the car for another 1-2 years without any repair. The thing is in the town I'm going, the bus is free for students and everything is close to the University. :/
That's very nice. I would still keep the car parked rather than selling it. It's always nice to own a car. Especially if your not making payments and you actually already do own yours as I assume you do. If you do sell it, save the money and buy a house.

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 04-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: E46 E89 F30(Msport)
Go finish school and get another BMW when you're done.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
I'd also keep it and park it.

Consider the market value of a 10 year old BMW and the transaction cost -- ie the cost or replacing it a couple of years from now, and putting everything right in the new car. Maybe older BMWs are worth more in Canada and college tuition is much less, but the proceeds from the sale of a 10 year old car wouldn't have paid for my beer when I was in college.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 04-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Is working part-time an option......?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325xi, E46 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
That's very nice. I would still keep he car parked rather than selling it. It's always nice to own a car. Especially if your not making payments and you actually already do own yours as I assume you do. If you do sell it, save the money and buy a house.
One thing you might consider is to give it to your parents. (Imagine the scene, "Hey Dad, I'm so proud of all that you've accomplished that I'm giving you my Bimmer... )The car likely will be well cared for and the seats will be kept warm, waiting for your visits home. It may even still be there when you finish university. This may not be viable for you, depending on how much you need the proceeds of the sale, and whether your parents would want another car, but it's worth thinking about...

BTW, where is this magical town where public transit is free (not just reduced) for students?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I think you made the right call as well. An older E46 is not worth missing out on a college education. When you get a degree (provided we elect a competent president) you will be able to make more than enough money to buy a newer, better BMW. Congrats man! I wish you the best of success!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridario View Post
One thing you might consider is to give it to your parents. (Imagine the scene, "Hey Dad, I'm so proud of all that you've accomplished that I'm giving you my Bimmer... )The car likely will be well cared for and the seats will be kept warm, waiting for your visits home. It may even still be there when you finish university. This may not be viable for you, depending on how much you need the proceeds of the sale, and whether your parents would want another car, but it's worth thinking about...

BTW, where is this magical town where public transit is free (not just reduced) for students?
I agree here. He should give it to his parents that way it's waiting for him when he returns and it's taken care of. Good idea!.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
An older E46 is not worth missing out on a college education. When you get a degree (provided we elect a competent president) you will be able to make more than enough money to buy a newer, better BMW.
The OP is in Canada. Canada's Prime Minister is Stephen Harper, who is a member of the Conservative Party. They also have oodles of oil up there, some of which they sell to the US. Canada, and by extension most Canadians, should do well no matter what we decide to do down here in the US.

I certainly wouldn't advocate advocate missing out on a better educational opportunity to keep a 10 year old Bimmer. OTOH, I don't think most 10 year old cars are worth enough to put much of a dent into college tuition and expense bills.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
How you did to read my mind?!
Because just about all of the rest of us are thinking the same thing

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Part-Time job is an option of course and it's what I've been doing so far. The only thing that changed is my parents can't help me anymore as much as they did. Also I'll feel bad if I keep the car while they help me pay fees.

If I sell the car for, let's say 6-8k, it's enough to pay my tuition fees for another 1 year. The more I pay, the smaller the debt is at the end. Also, I'll be able to sell back all my new/never used parts. It's another 2-3k. All the gas, insurance and plate money I'll save. I'll be rich! :P I don't want to enter in details but believeme, I tried to look for everything I can sell before I considered the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridario View Post
Sherbrooke. I think it's the only town in Québec (Probably in Canada) where it's free for students.

Thanks for all the support, it's 100% sure I'm going for another bmw. It's a matter of time.

Last edited by Spikes007; 04-17-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 AM

Apply for financial aid from the government. Get pell grants through fafsa and your university, apply for scholarships it's quite a bit of paper work but totally worth it. Depending on your situation you may get a lot of your schooling paid for. For example, I get pell grants from the government enough to pay for my tuition. I also work part time to feed myself, pay for my apt and stupid $4 a gallon gas but still having my tuition paid is a huge help. I would consider these options first before selling your car because being at college carless sucks big time. (speaking from experience) but also don't let a car, yes even a bimmer, stop you from getting your education.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Bimmer App
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 AM

Oh and congrats on getting accepted that's awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Bimmer App
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325xi, E46 2002
Quote:
Part-Time job is an option of course and it's what I've been doing so far. The only thing that changed is my parents can't help me anymore as much as they did. Also I'll feel bad if I keep the car while they help me pay fees.

If I sell the car for, let's say 6-8k, it's enough to pay my tuition fees for another 1 year. The more I pay, the smaller the debt is at the end. Also, I'll be able to sell back all my new/never used parts. It's another 2-3k. All the gas, insurance and plate money I'll save. I'll be rich! :P I don't want to enter in details but believeme, I tried to look for everything I can sell before I considered the car.

Sherbrooke. I think it's the only town in Québec (Probably in Canada) where it's free for students.

Thanks for all the support, it's 100% sure I'm going for another bmw. It's a matter of time.
Nice! I've been close to Sherbrooke but never in it, but I hear it is a lovely town. I've gone skiing and hiking (and mountain biking when I was younger) at Mont Orford and Owl's Head, and the views up there (particularly of Lac Memphramagog) are spectacular. The Eastern Townships is a beautiful area. In fact, those country roads are a blast to drive on... Oh, sorry .

Maybe your parents could sell the Hyundai and keep the bimmer? If your parents can't use the bimmer, then you are probably doing the right thing by selling and keeping your loans to a minimum. Very responsible.

I'm not sure what you'll be studying, but as Ducksrunner25 mentioned, research all the funding sources available to you (CIHR, FRSQ, FCAR, NSERC, as well as internal funding from Université de Sherbooke) and apply, apply, apply!

Best of luck!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
aka cngzsn

Mein Auto: 330i
Congrats on the acceptance! Cars come and go, education is forever. With that being said, pm me a list of parts that you might be willing to sell

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW 6MT - Sold
Kashmir Beige MetallicSamana BeigePoplar Wood e34 525it ZPP/Auto
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT