Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
So which setting seems to not pull any codes or limp mode? I assume it is kind of like the JDB where if you dot get too greedy with the settings then fear of codes/limp should be nonexistent.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
1. Turbo lag reduction is about the same in 1st and 2nd, but the DTUK seems to pull stronger throughout the range overall. There is still a hint of lag on WOT from a dead stop, though, and that is consistent across all of the piggybacks I've tried.
2. Because of where the boost sensor is, it really isn't all that difficult. You just have to thread the second part of the cable so that it's not restricting anything end not in the way of moving parts.
3. Never had a problem clearing codes with my BT
4. He's comparing to stock. The difference between JBD and this probably isn't that dramatic, but without solid #'s, that's a hard question to answer otherwise.

Yes, but you can shut off the engine while driving and start the car back up (press and hold your Start/Stop Engine button for about 3 seconds to shut off the car, then press it again to start the car again...limp mode gone, but if an SES is triggered, that will remain).

I don't think any code tools reset on the fly (could ask Mike at N54 about whether or not the Can Tool does).
Excellent. Thanks for the info. Any pictures of the best install location? Kind of like there is for placing the jbd.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Stugout, they also offer a 3-Channel which includes the shaft pick up for rpm.

Did you consider that one?

Andrew at DTUK has been pretty good at responding but always leaves me asking more questions.

I think he's baiting me!

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Speed Demon

Mein Auto: '10 335d E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Was the 365hp using a guestimated parasitic loss to get back to crank hp? Surely that wasn't at the wheel???

If so I need one of these ASAP

Jay
Actual dyno. Still trying to find the damn file from the run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
So which setting seems to not pull any codes or limp mode? I assume it is kind of like the JDB where if you dot get too greedy with the settings then fear of codes/limp should be nonexistent.
The 0% setting on any one of the 4 maps is pretty much guaranteed to not trigger limp. I've never stayed at the 0% setting for long, because there's a marked difference between 0%, 10%, 20%, and 30%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Stugout, they also offer a 3-Channel which includes the shaft pick up for rpm.

Did you consider that one?

Andrew at DTUK has been pretty good at responding but always leaves me asking more questions.

I think he's baiting me!
He didn't have the 3 channel when I got mine. Might see if he's willing to let me trade in my current model for that one. I messaged him on E90post a couple of days ago, but he hasn't responded. Where are you contacting him? Via email or forum?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
I'd be interested to know which map that's on, actually. The reason I ask is because I've had the car dynoed (HP only) with the DTUK tune, and I peaked at just over 365HP.
365hp?! What kind of dyno was that done on and did you get a baseline to measure actual gains? Did you test the JBD on the same dyno, if so what were the results and what setting?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
My next goal, when I can actually find some time, is to dyno the car with each of the 3 modules,
At what setting on the DTUK and JBD are you comparing against?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 AM

To all here. I have the RENNtech flash and I went LIMP Mode when I dynoed the car , hence I had NOT completely turned OFF the DSC, but I have YET to go limp mode while driving i have had as quoted by STUGOTs Or Ronin I believe the following quote:

[COLOR="Blue"]"Codes that can pop up (and will, generally, with a tune) when this happens fall along the lines of Rail Pressure Plausiblity, but I've also seen Air Mass Sensor and Gas Pressure Sensor. "[/COLOR]

The first one was because I had the clamp to the mass flow sensor lose! after that I did not go SES until a month later and before I did the code erase it turned off by itself. I spoke to my mechanic and he stated that whenever you have tunes sometimes some codes will come up but usually not serious, but he did advise me never to ignore whenever the light comes up.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Speed Demon

Mein Auto: '10 335d E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
365hp?! What kind of dyno was that done on and did you get a baseline to measure actual gains? Did you test the JBD on the same dyno, if so what were the results and what setting?
The JBD dyno that you seen on BMS' site is my car. I was the original tester for the JBD. Same shop did my car with DTUK. Baseline for my car was 245bhp. JBD yielded 308bhp, DTUK Program 3 Map 7 yielded the 365HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
At what setting on the DTUK and JBD are you comparing against?
JBD at 100% and DTUK @ Program 3 Map 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
To all here. I have the RENNtech flash and I went LIMP Mode when I dynoed the car , hence I had NOT completely turned OFF the DSC, but I have YET to go limp mode while driving i have had as quoted by STUGOTs Or Ronin I believe the following quote:

[COLOR="Blue"]"Codes that can pop up (and will, generally, with a tune) when this happens fall along the lines of Rail Pressure Plausiblity, but I've also seen Air Mass Sensor and Gas Pressure Sensor. "[/COLOR]

The first one was because I had the clamp to the mass flow sensor lose! after that I did not go SES until a month later and before I did the code erase it turned off by itself. I spoke to my mechanic and he stated that whenever you have tunes sometimes some codes will come up but usually not serious, but he did advise me never to ignore whenever the light comes up.
Limp can come about for various reasons, especially under duress on a dyno (heatsoak, for example). Your RENNtech isn't adjustable....it's one map, whereas JBD at DTUK have multiple options, so while your experiences with the tune are informative and appreciated, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Last edited by Stugots; 04-20-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The JBD dyno that you seen on BMS' site is my car. I was the original tester for the JBD. Same shop did my car with DTUK. Baseline for my car was 245bhp. JBD yielded 308bhp, DTUK Program 3 Map 7 yielded the 365HP.

JBD at 100% and DTUK @ Program 3 Map 7.

That is a pretty impressive gain. I've seen one skewed result for the JBD which I witnessed first hand where the car had put out 330hp at the wheels. Not sure if it was the equipment or the fact that his car had been sitting for 4 hours so it was bone cold, had a cone filter and it was tested with the hood open so sucking in lots of cold air.

Curious, were the conditions the same between the two tests (JBD v DTUK), ie. temps, humidity, engine temp, hood open/closed in both cases? I remember you saying something about your car was heat soaked when you when to test the JBD, not sure if the DTUK was part of that same test.

Also any limp modes or SES lights at Program 3 Map 7? How many miles have you driven it at this setting?

Last edited by cssnms; 04-20-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
hang up and drive!

He didn't have the 3 channel when I got mine. Might see if he's willing to let me trade in my current model for that one. I messaged him on E90post a couple of days ago, but he hasn't responded. Where are you contacting him? Via email or forum?[/QUOTE]

Email. Andrew@DTUK <andrew@diesel-performance.co.uk>

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
does anyone make a bigger intercooler yet? seems like that would be easy and make decent gains.

powered by lemings
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
does anyone make a bigger intercooler yet? seems like that would be easy and make decent gains.