Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 AM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
Question is the new iDrive and HUD worth BUYING? (not leasing)

I currently have a 06 330xi that I own and to be honest I wasn't really in the market for a new car because I'm pretty content but since I'm deployed I'm eligible for military pricing and the prices are extremely tempting... Anyways I'm looking around and I have a question about the new iDrive. The current 06 bmw I own has the iDrive and it's horrendous not to mention a huge liability if it breaks. I told myself the next time I buy a BMW I'm going to get the least amount of technology possible.

Well the new tech package kind of changed my mind The HUD is awesome and the new iDrive looks much improved from the version I have. What are your experiences? Is it slow to react sometimes? Has anyone had problems? I've had issues with mine sometimes not starting up with the car or not coming on at all... Very infrequent but still I'm just wondering what's the best long term decision for buyers.
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
It's an entirely personal decision. You get iDrive standard. It is miles and miles better than it was. HUD is great. Personally I don't want Nav and it's not worth paying for it to get the HUD. As I said HUD is great, but for me it's just a fun toy.

btw - Hooah!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-17-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 AM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It's an entirely personal decision. You get iDrive standard. It is miles and miles better than it was. HUD is great. Personally I don't want Nav and it's not worth paying for it to get the HUD. As I said HUD is great, but for me it's just a fun toy.

btw - Hooah!!!
hooah tturedraider!! Dang man you've been around here for some time now. I remember you helping me with my E90 purchase back in 2008. i see you still have yours...

Anyways I think i might have to read up more. iDrive and nav are separate now? Internet is really slow so I guess I haven't had a chance to look at everything yet.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluesky View Post
hooah tturedraider!! Dang man you've been around here for some time now. I remember you helping me with my E90 purchase back in 2008. i see you still have yours...

Anyways I think i might have to read up more. iDrive and nav are separate now? Internet is really slow so I guess I haven't had a chance to look at everything yet.
every car gets iDrive. you get a 6.5 inch screen. with nav you get an 8 inch screen and a hud. the hud shows songs, directions, etc. i wasn't going to get it either but now i don't think i could do without it.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
every car gets iDrive. you get a 6.5 inch screen. with nav you get an 8 inch screen and a hud. the hud shows songs, directions, etc. i wasn't going to get it either but now i don't think i could do without it.
I'll second this. It's really expensive but worth it.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
I had the chance to drive around this weekend a 2012 535xi with every package available. I can tell you I thought the nav was a little confusing and not very user friendly, I didn't get the user Manuel with the car since it was a loaner while my car was at the dealer. I can say it was extremely nice to have step by step instructions right in front of me by my speed. The nav is also much larger in the cars this year. Sticker price with all features+upgrades on my loaner was 63,828. My next 3 series will be loaded due to if you break down the cost of the tech package ect ect over 48 months or however long you get your loan for how much extra are you really adding to each payment
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: German
New iDrive plus HUD are huge pluses. I would never buy a new BMW without either anymore. Come on, these are technology advanced luxury cars. No reason to neuter them. Not to mention, future resale
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
New iDrive plus HUD are huge pluses. I would never buy a new BMW without either anymore. Come on, these are technology advanced luxury cars. No reason to neuter them. Not to mention, future resale
The majority of 3 Series buyers/owners on Bimmerfest consider 3ers to be sport cars that also have some luxury. People with luxury at the top of their list buy Mercedes or Audi.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Luxury
I bought my first new BMW 3 weeks ago. 328i Luxury with Nav and HUD. I find the navigation system to be great and when used in combination with the HUD it is great. The HUD displays turn-by-turn directions from the Nav in addition to speed and music info when needed. I personally find the HUD to be a very valuable enhancement to the car. The NAV will still display turn-by-turn in the info center where the speedomoter is without the HUD but you have to look down. Another side benefit to the HUD is you can display you speed in KPH. Living in Germany I hate doing the mental conversion of KPH to MPH or looking at the itty bitty KPH ring on the inside of the MPH ring. With the HUD you can program it to show you KPH.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 09 Honda Accord V6
I too am contemplating the nav/hud option. It looks incredible, but it is a large cost and I'm curious about the reliability of it down the road. I'm looking at keeping my f30 for awhile. Still trying to consider just getting a nice portable unit and saving some cash for other options. The HUD/NAV looks so slick though..tough choices.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thank You !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluesky View Post
I currently have a 06 330xi that I own and to be honest I wasn't really in the market for a new car because I'm pretty content but since I'm deployed I'm eligible for military pricing and the prices are extremely tempting... Anyways I'm looking around and I have a question about the new iDrive. The current 06 bmw I own has the iDrive and it's horrendous not to mention a huge liability if it breaks. I told myself the next time I buy a BMW I'm going to get the least amount of technology possible.

Well the new tech package kind of changed my mind The HUD is awesome and the new iDrive looks much improved from the version I have. What are your experiences? Is it slow to react sometimes? Has anyone had problems? I've had issues with mine sometimes not starting up with the car or not coming on at all... Very infrequent but still I'm just wondering what's the best long term decision for buyers.
Thank You for your Service to OUr Country !!!!!!!! We live very near Miramar Marine Air Base in San Diego , Formerly The Navy's Top Gun School. Its like having an Air Show Every day watching the F-18's, C=130's, Osprey's land and take off every day. Get the Tech Package , you won't regret it. We will be ordering all those bells and whistles when we get or Third 3 Series in a few months. We are now going to wait for 2013's at this late date. They have improved the Tech Package, Go for it , All In !! Stay Safe.
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeamer View Post
I had the chance to drive around this weekend a 2012 535xi with every package available. I can tell you I thought the nav was a little confusing and not very user friendly, I didn't get the user Manuel with the car since it was a loaner while my car was at the dealer. I can say it was extremely nice to have step by step instructions right in front of me by my speed. The nav is also much larger in the cars this year. Sticker price with all features+upgrades on my loaner was 63,828. My next 3 series will be loaded due to if you break down the cost of the tech package ect ect over 48 months or however long you get your loan for how much extra are you really adding to each payment
Hey, you had the Manual the whole time. It's in the iDrive.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
Yeah I only used that for car wash instructions lol.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 323ic
Our family has a 2003 e39 wagon manuel shift with nav and we have had a lot of loaners with latest nav so here is my takeaway. Even the old nav is absolutely not to be without traveling as it works very well. Maps are just too much trouble. As to the loaner cars with new nav and hud; well sure they are fabulous,however, a bmw without options is still a great driver. the Nuvi garmin works great and has speed limit information and entertains by sliding off dash on sharp fast curves and of course the dang wires plus long start up time. I myself am very unsure of which way to go as it seems to have one lux tech option just dumb not to add them all. For some reason they seem linked as in all or none. If you want apps of course you want nav and top down camera etc.
Ok. Here is the deal. A lot of folks have enjoyed bare bones driving in 911 porsches and M3's without all that stuff and the options add up to 10k ( prox ) if you buy the bundle. Do without and you have a marvelous car. If you order the manuel shift . 10000.00 options with no interest for 48 months is 208.00 per month! Sorry for the rift but all seemed to fit a lot of forum questions. One last thought forgive me. IMy BMW Center in Winston-Salem NC has a stripped red/blk manuel stripped M3 asking 56000.00. That would be 6000.00 more than a loaded F30 and the leather in the M3 is 5x better than Dakota.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
it is good option if you keep car for long time. lot of people want to buy bare bones 3s without many option for fun to drive aspect of car and less trouble. one can always buy other brands full of gadgets minus fun to drive aspect. In my opinion go for it, no buyer remorse later.
E90 2007
E46 2005