Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Robbie

Mein Auto: 325i
Expansion Tank Replacement

BMW..***** more tools.....

Ok, so I changed the expansion tank...upon crank up, it it leaking like crazy up top. There are 2 fittings on the top hose going to the motor..one goes to radiator, other small one goes to expansion tank. The snap ring is in good..I took it off several times and reinstalled it. QUESTION..Is there supposed to be an Oring inside the piece on the radiator hose that slide up over the small male fitting on the tank? Thats the only reason I can figure its leaking.

HELP

Robbie
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
Hmm... If I recall the part I think you're talking about, then I think there is. But you might want to PM Smolck and/or add some pics to your question. Smolck has probably seen as many E46 cooling system refreshes as any BMW tech on any floor (read: not saying the service mangers) of any BMW stealership around. And he gives a rip, or he wouldn't be so active on here and in his community for DIY and maintenance support.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Yes, there should be an O-ring inside each hose end. If the O-ring is missing (or displaced), it would leak like crazy.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Coyote Racing Team

Mein Auto: 2011 Mustang GT
Make SURE it is pressed in tightly. I've done this twice and both times it initially leaked on me even though the snap ring was able to be pushed down and everything appeared to be nice and snug. Turns out I just needed to push it in a bit further. Once I did (it took a bit more effort), the snap ring was able to go down again and everything was fine. The difference can be 1/16-1/8" - that's all it takes. Good luck.

Steeda Sport Springs / Roush Axle Back / MGW Shifter / BOSS Front & Rear Fascia / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar /
BMR Relocaton Brackets / BMR Lower Control Arms / Staggered AMR Charcoal Rims / BAMA Tuned