Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 x5 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Would you actually refuse delivery and have BMW reorder the car (which I'm sure they would refuse to do) if you found they had repaired shipping damage? VPC repairs I'm sure are considered the same as at the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Shipping damage can range from a slight bump or scrape to more severe like having the off load driver crash the car (rare).

It's easy to ask for the repair report so you know if anything is embedded in the cars history that you will have to explain when you sell or trade it.
I did refuse delivery and had my dealer reorder our X5 - moonroof had a pretty good scratch and there was some slight delivery damage to the rear bumper. I probably wouldn't have refused it if it was just the bumper, but there was no real way for them to repair the moonroof scratch. In college I worked at a dealership and believe me, crazy things can and do happen when the car goes from factory to dealer.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura TSX
It would be awesome if someone could just create a bullet point list of the things to check before taking delivery. Maybe the same list that the dealership goes through when they take delivery of the vehicle from the transport.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: coupe
this is a great thread.

so far it's:

1. check exterior lines, gaps, paint, glass, wheels, tires [including pressure]
2. check interior upholstery, trim, systems
3. check engine bay and trunk
4. check underbody if possible
5. go for a test drive
6. get goodies
7. get list of damage/repairs due to shipping, if any

for those of you who have taken delivery on custom orders, how much time does it usually take to complete the process at the dealership on the day of?

Last edited by frowningdeity; 04-26-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frowningdeity View Post
5. go for a test drive
When I took delivery of my car, I paid for it before I drove off. I actually asked the finance guy that I was signing papers/handing the check to -- what if the car doesn't drive right? He said "we've NEVER had an issue with that before".

Anyway, how many of you insist on a test drive before paying for the car?

I went through the "new owner orientation" only after paying for it. And the car was indoors at that time. So...would the recommended approach be:
- Get new owner orientation.
- Test drive.
- Pay for car.
Would the dealership agree to this?

Otherwise, I think the list of things to inspect is good. I didn't do that and there were several minor things that I had to go back and get fixed...minor rattles, glue sticking out of the roundel on the steering wheel, and the steering wheel slightly off to the left.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx15 View Post
I did refuse delivery and had my dealer reorder our X5 - moonroof had a pretty good scratch and there was some slight delivery damage to the rear bumper. I probably wouldn't have refused it if it was just the bumper, but there was no real way for them to repair the moonroof scratch. In college I worked at a dealership and believe me, crazy things can and do happen when the car goes from factory to dealer.
Did they tell you these things were damaged when you went to get your car? Or did you see them yourself after doing an inspection?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Knowing is 1/2 the Battle

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Check the carfax history. My car had the windshield replaced before I took delivery. I never found out till 2 years later by chance...The replacement was causing the plastic cowls to rattle....
Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30, Sport, Silver
I recommend taking it for a test ride. I drove my F30 home and it had a steering wheel shutter ( vibration) between 40-60 mph. Parked it called the dealer and took it back on Monday. It is a Sport model, fitted with Continental tires 225/45R18 . Low and behold right front tire had an internal 6 inch band separation. That Monday night a truck came in with more Sport models, the dealer took all four tires off another car and put them on mine. Problem solved. This time I have Goodyear tires.

]So my recommendation is take it for a spin before you sign the papers.[/B][/B]
Old 05-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC Moose View Post
I recommend taking it for a test ride. I drove my F30 home and it had a steering wheel shutter ( vibration) between 40-60 mph. Parked it called the dealer and took it back on Monday. It is a Sport model, fitted with Continental tires 225/45R18 . Low and behold right front tire had an internal 6 inch band separation. That Monday night a truck came in with more Sport models, the dealer took all four tires off another car and put them on mine. Problem solved. This time I have Goodyear tires.

]So my recommendation is take it for a spin before you sign the papers.[/B][/B]
Same exact problem, i will probably just have them replace it with a 2013
Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Here's one for the ages: bring an accurate tire pressure gauge and check the tire pressure.

I'll bet the pressure will be low. It immediately puts the lie to the "quality check list" the salesperson will show you. And, once you do it, they are put on notice that you intend to go over every stinkin' thing on the car.
We took European Delivery on our car and my CA had clear instructions not to touch the car after they rolled it off the truck (don't wash it, don't remove the Euro plates, toll vignettes, etc.), but I did ask them to check the tire pressure. I remembered reading somewhere that the tires were over inflated for the boat ride to help minimize the movement of the car (I don't know whether this is actually true or not). He didn't get this done before we arrived so we pulled it around to the service bay and he brought out a tire gauge and air tank. All of the tires were high, ~45 psi. If the dealer forgets to check the tire pressure the tires may be over inflated.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 AM
it has arrived!

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
Quote:
Originally Posted by frowningdeity View Post
this is a great thread.

so far it's:

1. check exterior lines, gaps, paint, glass, wheels, tires [including pressure]
2. check interior upholstery, trim, systems
3. check engine bay and trunk
4. check underbody if possible
5. go for a test drive
6. get goodies
7. get list of damage/repairs due to shipping, if any

for those of you who have taken delivery on custom orders, how much time does it usually take to complete the process at the dealership on the day of?
Get goodies? What do you do just say gimme?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M Sport AW
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
basically myself, and several other have found an issue where the steering wheel vibrates between 40-60mph...nothing to crazy, and you wouldn't really know it unless you look at it but its there. supposeldy bmw changes a part in the steering box(might be the whole unit altogether) starting in march production, waiting for those cars to get in owners hands to see if they experience it as well
Justin, I realize I could review the threads for posts about post March production and steering vibration but I'm hoping you'll just tell me and others how this worked out. Which part in the steering box was BMW supposed to have changed?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Shipping damage can range from a slight bump or scrape to more severe like having the off load driver crash the car (rare).

It's easy to ask for the repair report so you know if anything is embedded in the cars history that you will have to explain when you sell or trade it.
I don't know if its still the same as in the past but they had to tell you if there was any damage that exceeded $500.00. Not all body damage is repaired at the VDC. Its done through you local dealer.Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
My windshield had a warpage only seen on the highway after I drove off. BMW replaced it with no fuss.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1