Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 3.0i Sport
First time BMW owner!

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2003 BMW X5 Sport with 138k on the clock. I've never been a BMW guy before. I've always had a 4runner, or Chevrolet of some type (Tahoe, Silverado, etc.)

This being my first BMW I honestly don't know much about them yet. I've done quite a bit of researching however about my vehicle and have come up with the following list of things I need to do or check other than normal maintenance stuff:

- PCV valve/oil separator (replace with cold climate version)

- New fuel filter

From what I've read the 3.0i is a great motor, it just has a few quirks like anything else. Is there anything else I should do other than common sense stuff to make sure the thing is ready to roll? (other than oil and filter change, new air filter etc)

Also realistically how many miles can I expect to get from the vehicle?

It started out as a lease vehicle and was then owned by a guy I knew personally that really stayed up on servicing regular in terms of the common things.
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03blackx5sport View Post
Hey guys, I just purchased a 2003 BMW X5 Sport with 138k on the clock. I've never been a BMW guy before. I've always had a 4runner, or Chevrolet of some type (Tahoe, Silverado, etc.)

This being my first BMW I honestly don't know much about them yet. I've done quite a bit of researching however about my vehicle and have come up with the following list of things I need to do or check other than normal maintenance stuff:

- PCV valve/oil separator (replace with cold climate version)
What sign of failure do you have? If none, it shoud still be fine.
- New fuel filter

From what I've read the 3.0i is a great motor, it just has a few quirks like anything else. Is there anything else I should do other than common sense stuff to make sure the thing is ready to roll? (other than oil and filter change, new air filter etc)

Also realistically how many miles can I expect to get from the vehicle?
It's all depent on the vehicle maintenance history and how well you would maintain it. I know of some 3.0i with over 200Kmi and Wally on Xoutpost has over 300K mi on his.

It started out as a lease vehicle and was then owned by a guy I knew personally that really stayed up on servicing regular in terms of the common things.
Do the Vanos Seals, Sparkplugs, VCG, clean ICV, throttle body and MAF

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM

I don't have any signs of failure I just wanted to replace it for peace of mind. And I have already planned/researched how to do the spark plugs and cleaning the MAF and throttle body.

Could you explain further what the vanos seals are?
The VCG? and cleaning the ICV?

Also what kind of spark plugs do most people recommend for the 3.0i?

Thanks for the information!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM

You are brave to tackle the Oil Separator Valve when you have no failure symtom. It's not hard but time consuming with those hoses. I guess the peace-of-mind is worth it.

The Vanos seals explained here
http://www.beisansystems.com

When doing that, you need to replace the VCG (Valve Cover Gasket.) The throttle body and ICV (Idle Control Valve) cleaning should be done together. I use NGK BKR6EQUP on both of my BMWs.

BTW, check out www.xoutpost.com for lots of info on the X series.

FS 2001 ///M5
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo

Last edited by tmvE39/E53/Z32; 04-24-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 PM

From what I've read it does sound like a time consuming thing but since mine has 138k miles on it, I figured there's bound to be some sludge in there!

Also, since you pretty much have to disassemble the entire intake system to even get to the oil separator I figured it would be the best time to do all the cleaning while I'm doing that. I've cleaned MAF's and throttle bodies before so I'm comfortable with that. Can I use the same spray cleaner (CRC MAF cleaner) on the ICV?

Is the vanos a very easy repair? And is it something I should do even though I have no signs of needing it? Much like the peace of mind with replacing the oil separator

And thanks, I'll definitely check it out
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 AM

CRC MAF Cleaner on ICV should be fine. For me, Vanos Seals replace is a must. It restores engine power and responsiveness. The original material will degrate gradually after about 30K mi. BMW doesn't sell the seals, rather the whole Vanos unit. The new seals from Beisan are made with better material. They have complete procedure for M54 engine on their website. It's not difficult.

FS 2001 ///M5

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Well, after taking your advice and doing more research I finally have a game plan together.

When I do the sparkplugs I'm also going to do the vanos seals and valve cover gaskets. I don't think I have the rattle symptom but should I go ahead and do the rattle repair too while its all apart?

On the oil filter side I'm going to do the oil filter housing gasket, pcv valve assembly, and replace the oil line from the housing to the vanos.

I found a great write up on replacing the oil filter housing gasket in the 5 series diy section.

To date, I've changed the oil and filter, replaced both belts and cleaned the MAF.

Could you provide me with a better idea of what to look for to clean the Idle control valve?

Also, I disassembled the intake down to the main 90 degree elbow and it seems like its gonna be a pain to clean the throttle body, is there a way around this?

Thanks again for all the help
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 4.8is
Quote:
From what I've read it does sound like a time consuming thing but since mine has 138k miles on it, I figured there's bound to be some sludge in there!

Also, since you pretty much have to disassemble the entire intake system to even get to the oil separator I figured it would be the best time to do all the cleaning while I'm doing that. I've cleaned MAF's and throttle bodies before so I'm comfortable with that. Can I use the same spray cleaner (CRC MAF cleaner) on the ICV?

Is the vanos a very easy repair? And is it something I should do even though I have no signs of needing it? Much like the peace of mind with replacing the oil separator

And thanks, I'll definitely check it out
Make sure you buy new intake manifold seals, and go ahead and replace the DISA valve, oil filter housing seal and valve cover gasket as well unless you see that its been done already in maintenance records. Take a good look at both belt tensioners while your in the area too. Most likely they need replacement, and they will fail at your mileage range. The oil separator update is a good time to do all these preventative repairs. Consider refreshing the cooling system as well as it is overdue at your mileage. In fact this should be the 2nd refresher. Thermostat, water pump, hoses and expansion tank.

The 3.0 will not let you down if you stay on top of these problem areas, and dont run it hard before its at operating temp.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Well, after taking your advice and doing more research I finally have a game plan together.

When I do the sparkplugs I'm also going to do the vanos seals and valve cover gaskets. I don't think I have the rattle symptom but should I go ahead and do the rattle repair too while its all apart?
You dont need to
On the oil filter side I'm going to do the oil filter housing gasket, pcv valve assembly, and replace the oil line from the housing to the vanos.

I found a great write up on replacing the oil filter housing gasket in the 5 series diy section.
The procedure should be very similar
To date, I've changed the oil and filter, replaced both belts and cleaned the MAF.

Could you provide me with a better idea of what to look for to clean the Idle control valve?
I used the CRC MAF and Throttle body Cleaner

Also, I disassembled the intake down to the main 90 degree elbow and it seems like its gonna be a pain to clean the throttle body, is there a way around this?
I took them off the car to clean: Throttle body, ICV, MAF and I did it when replacing the CVV (pcv valve as you call it or a.k.a Oil Separator) I dont know of way around it, unless you decide to leave it alone.

Thanks again for all the help
Hope it help.

FS 2001 ///M5