Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
BMW probably signed a contract for the new system and their hands are tied. They probably made the change to save something like $5 per vehicle sold.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
Yep, those are included already and looking forward to it.

Here were the pro's can con's for me in choosing to get it or not (and this is before I've experienced it first hand other than the 10 minutes in the car):

+ It's built in and integrated into car
+ Don't have to remove mobile GPS between trips
+ Very large screen (for more than just navigation)
+ Enhanced combo meter display (below the tach)
+ Integration into HUD

- Does not speak street names
- Lots of reports of bad/annoying route calculations (biggest fear for me)
- Updates are not frequent and pricey

From what I understand, the NAV system was much better before 2009 when they switched from Navteq to Tele-Atlas. I'm still floored that BMW has not responded to the complaints.
I'm now using the NAV all the time, and I know the best way to most of my destinations, so I'll report back how good the routing is. So far it's been pretty much spot-on.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
I leased my 2011 e92 w/ nav (basically the same system as the f30 has) coming from nav-less e46. I dealt with several portable systems and iphone apps and vowed to get a built-in nav the next time. I'd read all the negatives on the BMW nav system, but decided that it couldn't be worse. Plus, I wanted the BMW apps integration that only came w/ idrive.

So far, I haven't been disappointed. Sure, it sometimes has wonky routes, and it's annoying that it doesn't show the current street you're on. And I live in NYC, home of truly wonky roads. Just this weekend it told me to turn off of 87 to take some bizarre detour through the bronx. Leaned about a bridge i'd never been on though. The turn indicaion is a little annoying too as others have pointed out. Plus, it's POI database is lacking...in some cases missing commuter rail statios that even my dad's 2001 bmw has! But honestly, that stuff pales in comparison with the frustrations I had with the various portable products:
-realizing that i'm lost then having to fumble to get it out, plug it in etc.
-taking 15 minutes to find a GPS signal or losing a data connection just when you need it
-momentarily losing a signal during complex merges and on-ramps and sending me in circles
-pain to use, small touch screens; no chance of adjusting without pulling over

I seriously wanted to throw my phone or my tom tom out the window at times. The BMW system is like a breath of fresh air. I struggle to understand how people get so annoyed with it unless they've had no prior experience with nav systems. The controller is vastly superior and so much easier to use than a touch screen..especially while driving. I have a hard time seeing how people prefer touch screens in cars. The fact that it always knows where you are is also very nice after my past experiences. Even the traffic integration has proven quite accurate so far. The screen is big and well positioned. And with the HUD that comes with your F30s, I can't imagine anything better. Even entering an address by voice is surprisingly accurate once you learn how to say the address in the way the system understands...I have about a 95% success rate. It can be slow to process sometimes, but it works better than otehr voice systems i've tried. And for missing POIs , i can always send the address to the car using google maps from BMW's remote app on my phone.

Have you guys tried out other manufacturer's systems? Talk about truly sucking. Mercedes command is awful and lacking in fucntionality (even the new one), Audi's MMI is ok but the newest idrive is still easier to use, and the various touch screen systems just plain suck including the much-vaunted Japanese car systems. I've used most of them in various rental cars or in friends cars. Ugly grahpics, smudged screen, can't enter while driving, have to take our eyes off the road for way too long etc. The main advantage that some of these systems have is that some have better is POI databases. That's nice, but I wouldn't be willing to trade all the convenience of my idrive system for a few extra POIs (that i can easily find using google maps and send to the car in a pinch). I think all GPS systems fall down on routing at one time or anther for various reasons. And yes, having to pay extortion prices for a map update is ridiculous but not something that bothers me too much as i only have the car for 3 years and will not likely bother. It's not like they build new roads all the time in the northeast anyway. Again, seems like a "throw the baby out w/ the bathwater" type of complaint.

Not trying to be a fan-boy, but trying to inject some perspective into an irrationally negative thread. Run-flat tires, on the other hand, get my blood boiling so to each his own.

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
I leased my 2011 e92 w/ nav (basically the same system as the f30 has) coming from nav-less e46. I dealt with several portable systems and iphone apps and vowed to get a built-in nav the next time. I'd read all the negatives on the BMW nav system, but decided that it couldn't be worse. Plus, I wanted the BMW apps integration that only came w/ idrive.

So far, I haven't been disappointed. Sure, it sometimes has wonky routes, and it's annoying that it doesn't show the current street you're on. And I live in NYC, home of truly wonky roads. Just this weekend it told me to turn off of 87 to take some bizarre detour through the bronx. Leaned about a bridge i'd never been on though. The turn indicaion is a little annoying too as others have pointed out. Plus, it's POI database is lacking...in some cases missing commuter rail statios that even my dad's 2001 bmw has! But honestly, that stuff pales in comparison with the frustrations I had with the various portable products:
-realizing that i'm lost then having to fumble to get it out, plug it in etc.
-taking 15 minutes to find a GPS signal or losing a data connection just when you need it
-momentarily losing a signal during complex merges and on-ramps and sending me in circles
-pain to use, small touch screens; no chance of adjusting without pulling over

I seriously wanted to throw my phone or my tom tom out the window at times. The BMW system is like a breath of fresh air. I struggle to understand how people get so annoyed with it unless they've had no prior experience with nav systems. The controller is vastly superior and so much easier to use than a touch screen..especially while driving. I have a hard time seeing how people prefer touch screens in cars. The fact that it always knows where you are is also very nice after my past experiences. Even the traffic integration has proven quite accurate so far. The screen is big and well positioned. And with the HUD that comes with your F30s, I can't imagine anything better. Even entering an address by voice is surprisingly accurate once you learn how to say the address in the way the system understands...I have about a 95% success rate. It can be slow to process sometimes, but it works better than otehr voice systems i've tried. And for missing POIs , i can always send the address to the car using google maps from BMW's remote app on my phone.

Have you guys tried out other manufacturer's systems? Talk about truly sucking. Mercedes command is awful and lacking in fucntionality (even the new one), Audi's MMI is ok but the newest idrive is still easier to use, and the various touch screen systems just plain suck including the much-vaunted Japanese car systems. I've used most of them in various rental cars or in friends cars. Ugly grahpics, smudged screen, can't enter while driving, have to take our eyes off the road for way too long etc. The main advantage that some of these systems have is that some have better is POI databases. That's nice, but I wouldn't be willing to trade all the convenience of my idrive system for a few extra POIs (that i can easily find using google maps and send to the car in a pinch). I think all GPS systems fall down on routing at one time or anther for various reasons. And yes, having to pay extortion prices for a map update is ridiculous but not something that bothers me too much as i only have the car for 3 years and will not likely bother. It's not like they build new roads all the time in the northeast anyway. Again, seems like a "throw the baby out w/ the bathwater" type of complaint.

Not trying to be a fan-boy, but trying to inject some perspective into an irrationally negative thread. Run-flat tires, on the other hand, get my blood boiling so to each his own.
Its refreshing to hear positive things about the nav. I've had minor things go wrong in the past with the nav but not enough to "throw the baby out w/ the bath water". Just maybe we have a lot of posters that are nit pickers. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

BMW owners being nit-pickers? Like that would ever happen!

Really, in-car navigation is one of those businesses that is ready for a complete take-over by a more competent product. All of the systems pretty much suck, whether they are on a phone, built into the car, etc. Much like BMW325, I have had it with poking at tiny screens, scrambling to try to input an address while driving, etc. I am really looking forward to having something in-car that is at least fully integrated to the vehicles systems.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 AM

I have always been amazed they don't charge a monthly fee for NAV...oops don't want to give anyone ideas!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Its refreshing to hear positive things about the nav. I've had minor things go wrong in the past with the nav but not enough to "throw the baby out w/ the bath water". Just maybe we have a lot of posters that are nit pickers. Good luck
cheers
vern
I'd be less disappointed if I hadn't had 2 previous versions of BMW NAV that worked quite well.

Oh, and then I had to go an recommend to my wife that she get the NAV in her 2009 328i ...... and now have to listen to her complain about the silly routing

I'd still rather have it than a blank space in the dash ......

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 AM

I have a dodge diesel HD truck w/NAV and its far superior. It's never lead me through parking lots or wait until it was too late to turn. Also had Lincoln and it too was better than the BMW.

I'm not basing opinion on screen size or appearance but functionality. There is no excuse for being second rate at navigation, it's been out and available for many years. There are much better systems and technology than what BMW is using and that's what irritates me. I am truly disappointed at BMW for this.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post

So far, I haven't been disappointed. Sure, it sometimes has wonky routes, and it's annoying that it doesn't show the current street you're on...

Thanks for this great writeup! My expectations are a little higher now regarding the system.

I've been spoiled by Garmins for years, so I know there will be some disappointments. I still don't regret getting the NAV system. I'll certainly experiment when my car arrives in a few weeks. I believe the biggest benefit for me is not having to setup the portable one every time I need it. Having it available at all times will be really nice and a first for me.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
BMW owners being nit-pickers? Like that would ever happen!

Really, in-car navigation is one of those businesses that is ready for a complete take-over by a more competent product. All of the systems pretty much suck, whether they are on a phone, built into the car, etc. Much like BMW325, I have had it with poking at tiny screens, scrambling to try to input an address while driving, etc. I am really looking forward to having something in-car that is at least fully integrated to the vehicles systems.
I know. I have hopes that the various app platforms that the manufacturers are developing will facilitate this. Theoertically bmws current apps pkatform woukd support a gps app. But even then they'd probably have to rely on the phones gps rather than the cars. And I'm not a fan of the plug the iPad into the dash idea you see in some concept cars. The whole convergence of consumer electronics (and the expectations that go with it) and automotive hasn't been fully figured out yet. It's so complicated for a whole host of reasons.

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

I'm right there with you. I had been strongly considering the Tesla Model S as my next vehicle purchase but was actually put OFF by the giant touch screen and almost complete lack of physical controls, I just can't take it in a vehicle, which I expect to provide me with some kind of tactile response.

BMW has it right with i-drive but they are starting to fall behind and lag in the apps integration area. Like many manufacturers they are frightened of losing control of the cockpit and even more frightened of losing the high profit margin they make on in vehicle infotainment systems.

This is one reason that I am leasing my next vehicle "purchase". I expect that over the next 5-7 years the pace of automotive tech will only increase, and rapidly, with the weaker players getting weeded out (Mercedes is already throwing the towel in as evidenced by their proclamation that they are making iPhone/Siri the centerpiece of their next effort).

Hopefully in another decade we all look back at these "bad old days" in which in-car systems by and large SUCKED and while laughing, we wonder how we got through it.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 04-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I have always been amazed they don't charge a monthly fee for NAV...oops don't want to give anyone ideas!!!
I actually wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee for over the air updates that include the following:

Map updates
POI updates
Traffic
Cheapest Gas prices

Nothing crazy of course, but I think all of that is worth about 10 bucks a month. And then offer a deal if you pay for a year up front, $100.

Of course I haven't done any research into this in terms of R&D and Pricing, but as a consumer, that is what I am willing to pay for that. :P
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I'm now using the NAV all the time, and I know the best way to most of my destinations, so I'll report back how good the routing is. So far it's been pretty much spot-on.
Been using NAV everywhere I go last couple of days, Eastside/Downtown and North of Seattle. Routing has been spot-on, and the re-routing if you take a different turn is also working very well. Sounds like it works better in some areas than others.