Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
NEW 2013 X3 won't start at delivery

Ordered out a 2013 X3 in early March and we went to pick it up on 4/14/12. After about 45 mins of idling, while learning the new vehicles features, we turned off the car and it would not restart. Has anyone had this experience?
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Ordered out a 2013 X3 in early March and we went to pick it up on 4/14/12. After about 45 mins of idling, while learning the new vehicles features, we turned off the car and it would not restart. Has anyone had this experience?
No, but I am sure your dealership will fix the problem. Why even post such a event?
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
The 2013 model was idled. Did Start/Stop kick in? I assumed you didn't just refuse to take delivery of the car then .. so please tell us what happened next?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Dumb question, but was the gas tank on empty? If the dealer didn't bother filling it up before going through the options with you, they don't have much gas in them when they arrive from the factory.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
What was the problem / resolution?

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
OK - full tank of gas, engine turned for 20 secs and the it the starter turned off.

The reason that I posted it is to see if there were others that had something similar happen. If similar problems are happening there is a common tread to the answer. How many 2013 X3 have been delivered? Not many and a problem may not have been identified by BMW. I sure the dealer will fix it, the concern is a lemon. Cars at times have "phantom" problems that are difficult to find. If there is not a reasonable reason, the dealer was prepared to order a new one. Does that make sense NO12?

The rest of the story: first call the dealer thought the problem was the fact that the battery does not get much of a charge in transport to the dealer (lots of starts without much charge time) and therefore the battery had only 9 volts. Under 9 volts the car will not start. Idling does not charge the battery enough. Apparently, charging the battery is not on the pre-delivery check list. If it is not on the check list, it is not common experience to have a low battery.

Call two: Problem happened again- same symptoms - Dealer discovered a loose wire harness under the hood was not clicked together. This took the tech about 2 hours to figure it out.

Problem solved.

Taking delivery tommorow.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Wow, that'd sure be a bummer and glad they figured it out and it wasn't anything major.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: toyota
It is weird that the bat is not re-charged during idle.
I think cars built today should be able to be charged when idling.
is this not true?

Quote:
OK - full tank of gas, engine turned for 20 secs and the it the starter turned off.

The reason that I posted it is to see if there were others that had something similar happen. If similar problems are happening there is a common tread to the answer. How many 2013 X3 have been delivered? Not many and a problem may not have been identified by BMW. I sure the dealer will fix it, the concern is a lemon. Cars at times have "phantom" problems that are difficult to find. If there is not a reasonable reason, the dealer was prepared to order a new one. Does that make sense NO12?

The rest of the story: first call the dealer thought the problem was the fact that the battery does not get much of a charge in transport to the dealer (lots of starts without much charge time) and therefore the battery had only 9 volts. Under 9 volts the car will not start. Idling does not charge the battery enough. Apparently, charging the battery is not on the pre-delivery check list. If it is not on the check list, it is not common experience to have a low battery.

Call two: Problem happened again- same symptoms - Dealer discovered a loose wire harness under the hood was not clicked together. This took the tech about 2 hours to figure it out.

Problem solved.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
The reason that I posted it is to see if there were others that had something similar happen. If similar problems are happening there is a common tread to the answer. How many 2013 X3 have been delivered? Not many and a problem may not have been identified by BMW.

Thoiusands of X3s have been delivered worldwide by now. It has been for sale over a year now. Any machine can have a problem and the selling dealership moved immediately to fix it. Can't complain about that.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM

The battery charging regime of the F25 X3 is convoluted. There have been several reports of X3 owners who have been told that their driving profile is responsible for their X3 battery not charging properly. It's not a great shock to me that if the battery wasn't fully charged by the dealer then it may have died during an extended delivery.

Please don't get the idea that I'm defending BMW. I think that they're dead (no pun intended) wrong on their battery charging implementation. But it is what it is. And shame on the dealer for not ensuring that the battery was charged to at least 80%.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I think we are all aware of the efficient dynamics and that the battery charges under deceleration but you'd think a car this complex would identify a low battery voltage and charge the battery regardless of efficiency.

I would think long and hard about taking delivery of the car....

Like I've stated in other "low battery" discussions it might be worth buying a $10,000 kia to boost the BMW when it doesn't start. At least you know the Kia is going to charge the battery at idle.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I think we are all aware of the efficient dynamics and that the battery charges under deceleration but you'd think a car this complex would identify a low battery voltage and charge the battery regardless of efficiency.

Like I've stated in other "low battery" discussions it might be worth buying a $10,000 kia to boost the BMW when it doesn't start. At least you know the Kia is going to charge the battery at idle.
So are you telling me the battery does not charge at all while idling. This guys problem seemed to be a loose wire. If that is indeed the case, it is beyond stupid.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:

Problem solved.

I think perhaps several of you missed this follow-up post that it wasn't the battery at all.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: toyota
I think we just shifted to a new topic which is irreverent to OP's problem.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post

thats amazing. My sister's Camry Hybrid knows that it needs to turn on the ICE if she was moving in electric far too long and depleted the battery.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:

Problem solved.

Thanks for the update!

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Quote:

Problem solved.

Just wondering where this harness is? My 2011 has done the exact thing 4 times now but only in the winter. Did it startup and run fine after a slight intermission.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 (wifes car)
Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
No, but I am sure your dealership will fix the problem. Why even post such a event?
Man, I want whatever you are on. We post REAL WORLD issues to find out if others experience the same thing. When we took delivery of our X3 last year, we had an issue with the car not being taken out of transport mode properly..I am pretty sure we are one of the very few that experienced this, but I posted the question anyhow...it was the diligent REAL WORLD folks that read the board, understand these things suck and was able to help me tell the dealer exactly how they screwed up.....THAT is the reason the thread was posted.
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
Idling a new engine for 45 mins is not a good idea......you'd be far, far better driving the vehicle.