Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM
X3emist's Avatar
X3emist X3emist is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Georgia USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Got it- o6 vs 13

Got it-




__________________
2006 X3 Silver Grey/Black Lthr/Alum Trim/Sport Prem Pkg/Xenons/Servotronic/Prem Sound/Satellite Radio/Heated Seats/Carbon Fiber Pillars/Blue Tooth/Aux In/Cargo Net/Aluminum Pedals/V1 Hardwired
[SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is online now
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,495
Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Looks great!
__________________
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011


BMWCCA #350568
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
X3emist's Avatar
X3emist X3emist is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Georgia USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
I posted a quick, initial, down and dirty review over here- http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...1#post11823979
__________________
2006 X3 Silver Grey/Black Lthr/Alum Trim/Sport Prem Pkg/Xenons/Servotronic/Prem Sound/Satellite Radio/Heated Seats/Carbon Fiber Pillars/Blue Tooth/Aux In/Cargo Net/Aluminum Pedals/V1 Hardwired
[SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,988
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I'd be interested to see what the X3 with the upgraded suspension drives like, but I've gotten very skeptical that any of the new BMWs have that fizz from the pre-iDrive/heavy electronic gizmo days. Even though the F30 328i with all the sport upgrades was very nice and still a brilliant car, it just doesn't feel like the raw fun of the older BMWs. And although I know the E83 is still a far cry from say, the E30 days, somehow the E83 feels incredibly advanced, yet all the electronic stuff goes on in the background.

Even when I drive my mother's E90 325i, it somehow lacks the spark and excitement. It's an incredibly capable car and technically better than the X3 in every single way (except the dimwitted gearbox) but I wouldn't have one. After driving in the mountains, the E83 makes my fingers tingle and gearbox keeps waiting to kickdown, as if it's saying "Do a U-turn, lets hit it again! Again! With the new BMWs its like the electronics were designed for efficiency and performance..........in that order.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,554
Mein Auto: '06 X3
With the photos I can tell them apart -- on the road I have a hard time telling a new X3 from an old one. Which is nice in a way since mine is not "out dated in looks" I guess. Still I kind of like the way the old one looks -- a little less "bloated" and that is probably unkind since both are nice looking rides.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 AM
X3emist's Avatar
X3emist X3emist is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Georgia USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Spark and excitement factor is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I'd be interested to see what the X3 with the upgraded suspension drives like, but I've gotten very skeptical that any of the new BMWs have that fizz from the pre-iDrive/heavy electronic gizmo days. Even though the F30 328i with all the sport upgrades was very nice and still a brilliant car, it just doesn't feel like the raw fun of the older BMWs. And although I know the E83 is still a far cry from say, the E30 days, somehow the E83 feels incredibly advanced, yet all the electronic stuff goes on in the background.

Even when I drive my mother's E90 325i, it somehow lacks the spark and excitement. It's an incredibly capable car and technically better than the X3 in every single way (except the dimwitted gearbox) but I wouldn't have one. After driving in the mountains, the E83 makes my fingers tingle and gearbox keeps waiting to kickdown, as if it's saying "Do a U-turn, lets hit it again! Again! With the new BMWs its like the electronics were designed for efficiency and performance..........in that order.

Read the quick review I posted at the link shown in an earlier post. The suspension is very much like in my old E39. Firm, well connected. responsive steering. Like I indicated do yourself a favor and get the Dynamic Handling Pkg. This thing drives like a BMW should. No comparison to the 1st generation X3, none at all. We also have a new 528 to compare against and I would pick the 2013 X3 over the 528 all day long hands down, no question. Plus it looks a bit more on the old BMW aggressive styling line than other models.
__________________
2006 X3 Silver Grey/Black Lthr/Alum Trim/Sport Prem Pkg/Xenons/Servotronic/Prem Sound/Satellite Radio/Heated Seats/Carbon Fiber Pillars/Blue Tooth/Aux In/Cargo Net/Aluminum Pedals/V1 Hardwired
[SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 AM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,988
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
X1 is still probably a better choice for me........if I was in the market for an SUV.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 AM
wouwou wouwou is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 13' X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
X1 is still probably a better choice for me........if I was in the market for an SUV.
Wait till you have kids and more importantly, car seats.

with a Britax Marathon, X1 suddenly becomes a coupe with a tailgate.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 976
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
With the photos I can tell them apart -- on the road I have a hard time telling a new X3 from an old one. Which is nice in a way since mine is not "out dated in looks" I guess. Still I kind of like the way the old one looks -- a little less "bloated" and that is probably unkind since both are nice looking rides.
The rear end is what really separates the old and the new. No mistaking an old vs a new on the road from behind. To me, that is what looks the most outdated on the previous generation (the tail lights).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:09 AM
X3emist's Avatar
X3emist X3emist is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Georgia USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Front end also

The hood and front end are very different. The lines on the sides have been redrawn as well. It is larger inside. But honestly this thing drives like a BMW should drive.
__________________
2006 X3 Silver Grey/Black Lthr/Alum Trim/Sport Prem Pkg/Xenons/Servotronic/Prem Sound/Satellite Radio/Heated Seats/Carbon Fiber Pillars/Blue Tooth/Aux In/Cargo Net/Aluminum Pedals/V1 Hardwired
[SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 AM
gfeiner's Avatar
gfeiner gfeiner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 542
Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Nice. White looks good. BTW, your right-side fog light is going out. It's lit in the first two pics but out in the last pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Got it-




Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 976
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeiner View Post
Nice. White looks good. BTW, your right-side fog light is going out. It's lit in the first two pics but out in the last pic.
No, his light is not going out. It's the adaptive lighting feature with the Xenons. When you turn the wheel to the left, the left fog light comes on. When you turn the wheel to the right, the right fog light comes on (Helps illuminate the corner/bend you are turning into). The fog lights also come on when you put it in reverse and turn off when you go forward.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
snowboardjoe snowboardjoe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 198
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
No, his light is not going out. It's the adaptive lighting feature with the Xenons. When you turn the wheel to the left, the left fog light comes on. When you turn the wheel to the right, the right fog light comes on (Helps illuminate the corner/bend you are turning into). The fog lights also come on when you put it in reverse and turn off when you go forward.
As I recall, the lights fade in and out too with turns of the steering wheel. I remember seeing this when I did my test drive and the CA was backing it into the parking spot.

Do the Xenons still aim towards the inside corner, or have they relegated this to the fog lamps from now on?
__________________
Joe Morris
2013 X3 28i (prem, tech, cold1&2, conv, hud)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 976
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
As I recall, the lights fade in and out too with turns of the steering wheel. I remember seeing this when I did my test drive and the CA was backing it into the parking spot.

Do the Xenons still aim towards the inside corner, or have they relegated this to the fog lamps from now on?
The Xenons still adjust as well when turning a bend, corner, etc
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-25-2012, 02:34 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,158
Mein Auto: German
Really like this picture. Nice to see the strong family resemblance

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 AM
dandanio's Avatar
dandanio dandanio is offline
The One who Drives.
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 832
Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
Am I seeing it right? Black kidney grille? Can I get a close-up?
__________________

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog




My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 AM
lbjgh's Avatar
lbjgh lbjgh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North of Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 717
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
It looks like the 28i will get black and the 35i will get silver grilles moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
Am I seeing it right? Black kidney grille? Can I get a close-up?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
X3emist's Avatar
X3emist X3emist is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Georgia USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Yes it is black on our 28i

They should be easy to swap out with someone else on the forum I bet
__________________
2006 X3 Silver Grey/Black Lthr/Alum Trim/Sport Prem Pkg/Xenons/Servotronic/Prem Sound/Satellite Radio/Heated Seats/Carbon Fiber Pillars/Blue Tooth/Aux In/Cargo Net/Aluminum Pedals/V1 Hardwired
[SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
MetaX MetaX is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
No, his light is not going out. It's the adaptive lighting feature with the Xenons. When you turn the wheel to the left, the left fog light comes on. When you turn the wheel to the right, the right fog light comes on (Helps illuminate the corner/bend you are turning into). The fog lights also come on when you put it in reverse and turn off when you go forward.
Whats odd is that judging by the angle of the front tires, the wheel is pretty straightened out. Do the turning fogs go on with such minute steering wheel angles?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 976
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
As soon as the wheel starts to turn one way or the other, the corresponding fog light does come on pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 PM
X3emist's Avatar
X3emist X3emist is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Georgia USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Will investigate, but

She had just swung aroung that other one and made a couple maneuvers to line them up. Will play around and watch as I was not aware of this.
__________________
2006 X3 Silver Grey/Black Lthr/Alum Trim/Sport Prem Pkg/Xenons/Servotronic/Prem Sound/Satellite Radio/Heated Seats/Carbon Fiber Pillars/Blue Tooth/Aux In/Cargo Net/Aluminum Pedals/V1 Hardwired
[SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms