Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparayno View Post
Woops forgot to take better pics of that connection Jason! The ones I posted on page 2 show the 5/8" fuel hose connected to the vacuum connection on the distribution piece. The hose is routed just like how the stock plastic hose is but comes out towards the catch can.

The red is the hose from the connection on the distribution piece.
I only see the hose, not the connection.

Also, do you have any pictures of the check valve connected?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Everything connection used is OEM. Here is The same piece from that was originally came on the car. I just removed the plastic hoses and attached fuel line hoses.

I'll take a pic of the valve once I get the car back. My pops is borrowing it right now. He sure loves driving it too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dipiece.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	321291  
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 01 330ci
To the OP, have you watched your fuel trims since you installed the catch-can? Im having some wild swings in my short term fuel trims so Im wondering if you are having a issue or not? Thanks

Last edited by sunnyjay; 04-17-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Fuel trims? Like fuel usage/mpg? If so it has been about the same. Between spirited drives through twisty roads, city and highway I'm getting on average 26 mpg.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
Good stuff eparayno and poolman! Thanks for sharing

If you wanted to keep the original CCV and hoses intact but disconnected and use the catch can as indicated in this thread, is that possible? Is there room to route the new hoses and connect them to the valve cover and intake manifold? The idea is to use the catch can daily but when you're ready to have a state inspection or sell the car, you simply reconnect the original hoses and remove the catch can and new hoses.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by dkotanto; 04-29-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport

A few more questions:

1. is the PCV valve and the 5/8 hose end covered entirely with the short 3/4 hose?
2. does the use of a single hose clamp work ok to secure and seal the 5/8 end of the valve, and hose?
3. are you worried that the 5/8 hose end piece may slip off the 3/4 hose and clamp?
4. does the threaded end of the PCV valve point towards the intake or the catch can?

TIA

Last edited by dkotanto; 04-29-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
As for using the catch can and having the ability to just work back and forth between the can and the CCV--don't see why not--but really---I'm thinking this is better than the CCV and the inspection is through the exhaust pipe--you should be burning as clean or cleaner that with the CCV. Before hooking up my version of this, my exhaust pipe would be a build up of dark thick carbon. After the install the exhaust is so clean you can hardly see a trace of soot on your finger if you where to drag it through the back of the pipe about an inch or so to test it. I check this from time to time--gives a good indication if there is a vacuum leak up front under the hood. If there's a lot of build up, it means that your burning more gas that you need to be. This also greatly diminished my oil consumption.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
2.5 years and 25K after changing my CCV, I am experiencing increased oil consumption again. I haven't seen any smoke at startup but I am going through a qt every 800-1,000 miles. I am waiting to see what Gary comes up with (I bought my new DISA just before he had his available) to compare with this approach. Definitely time for a change.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
2.5 years and 25K after changing my CCV, I am experiencing increased oil consumption again. I haven't seen any smoke at startup but I am going through a qt every 800-1,000 miles. I am waiting to see what Gary comes up with (I bought my new DISA just before he had his available) to compare with this approach. Definitely time for a change.
Same here, only mine is about 4 years old now. Also a slight trend of increased fuel consumption.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39
One question, to be absolutely sure. Does directing the fumes to intake pipe and oil to oilpan pipe have any other purpose, like pressure regulation? Or can I just rip out the ccv, plug intake holes and dipstick hole and use catch can and vent to greenery without changing blanace of engine pressure? A e46 forum post confused me on the subject.

Last edited by Jynger; 05-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynger View Post
One question, to be absolutely sure. Does directing the fumes to intake pipe and oil to oilpan pipe have any other purpose, like pressure regulation? Or can I just rip out the ccv, plug intake holes and dipstick hole and use catch can and vent to greenery without changing blanace of engine pressure? A e46 forum post confused me on the subject.
You could do that, but if you have an M54 engine they benefit from vacuum because of low tension piston rings. Plus if it's vented the car will wreak of oil fumes.

A member on e46fanatics has had a catch can vented for a while without any troubles.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM

*Update

After 3 1/2 months and almost 2000 miles on this setup it is still working perfectly. Zero oil consumption(not that I had any to start with) and an extremely clean muffler tip. I stuck my fingers in the muffler tip and wiped what tiny amount of carbon buildup was in there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	324731  
Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Main thing about this set up is introducing vacuum into the crank case--that helps to seal the rings and stop oil consumption--by letting the gasses escape into the air,, it will smell to high heaven and your car will use more oil than normal
Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Bump...!
Update...?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 06-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
Bump...!
Update...?

Thanks!
Jason

Car is still running like a champ. Almost 5000 miles now since the install and no SEL lights or funny noises or oil usage
Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 PM

I have over 30k miles on my set up, it's better than with the original ccvvalve
Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
I have over 30k miles on my set up, it's better than with the original ccvvalve
Hi Poolman!

How often do you drain the oil out of the catch can...?
Does the stuff look pretty bad/ sludgy yellow oil...?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM

Hey Jason--When I first hooked up this catch can deal--I would check and empty it each week. After doing this I checked and emptyied it every 2 weeks. each time I did this there wouldn't be more than just a few table spoons of oil in there, so I waited about a month and low and behold it was at the same level. Now that you brought this up I realize that it's been months since I checked it.
I just went out and did that very thing--still at the same level, just a couple of table spoons in there--I like this system better. I just got my car back on the road after replacing the tranny and my fuel mileage is the best it's been in years--I belive to this day there was something wrong with the tranny in my car,,from the day I bought it new---this tranny is night and day better than the one that was in the car and is helping my fuel mileage--230k miles and going strong--I'm still thinking about changing out the engine with a 530--that should make some grins appear when hitting the pedal.

Last edited by poolman; 06-15-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Same situation as Poolman. Ive only checked inside the catch can three times since installing it and its just a tiny amount of blow by inside.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the cross-linked record, this thread today has useful ccv delete information:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > CCV, Oil Pan Gasket, & Fuel Pump Failure Related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post

I am so tired of changing/replacing this damn CCV...

I last replaced my CCV with the Cold-weather version in Jan. of 2010.
I think I have approximately 15-20k miles on it, maybe...?
Believe me, I definitely have been thinking HARD about deleting the CCV, and installing an Oil catch can....
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-04-2012, 07:59 AM

Approaching 142k miles on the car and almost 9k miles on this setup and still running great. My car is not burning or losing ANY oil whatsoever. Checked the dipstick a few days ago and the level is right in the middle. It is due for an oil change once it hits 142k.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkotanto View Post

A few more questions:

1. is the PCV valve and the 5/8 hose end covered entirely with the short 3/4 hose?
2. does the use of a single hose clamp work ok to secure and seal the 5/8 end of the valve, and hose?
3. are you worried that the 5/8 hose end piece may slip off the 3/4 hose and clamp?
4. does the threaded end of the PCV valve point towards the intake or the catch can?

TIA

The 3/4" hose goes over maybe 1/16" of the 5/8 hose. The PCV I used has a threaded end and I screwed it into the 5/8 hose

So far so good.

It is securely on there. I screwed on the PCV valve into the 5/8 hose and the 3/4 is covering the 5/8 just a tiny bit and then clamped on.

The threaded part is pointing towards the intake.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
I would think a savvy smog inspector would fail the car on a visual.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 530 In The Works
Quote:
I would think a savvy smog inspector would fail the car on a visual.
I ran a stealth catch can and recirculated vapor back to my intake tract on a e28 535 in SD California without ever getting noticed by a visual inspector..... Just make it clean looking like the OP!

I have many fellow e39ers here in the Netherlands that have FI M5's and always run ccv out to bungs in either exhaust...post cats and O2"s. With both bungs combined they show vacuum in the range of 7.7 to 10.5 HG. This would be great for our low tension piston rings, but I'm pretty sure a NA single bung six cylinder will offer a much lower VAC from this source (anyone have pressure calculations?). Our pressure control valve maintains a slight vacuum of only (10-15 mbar), so I think an exhaust bung is more than a sufficient replacement for vacuum.

I wanted to use only a catch can with K&N Filter and drain oil back to dipstick (with check valve), but instead I will be going with a pressure pump set for a constant 10HG of vacuum. I will pressure test the engine once reassembled to confirm the seals can handle this much vac, but in the meantime here is a diagram of the basics:

I am building a M50B30 (with m54b30 pistons and rings) for street use in Europe and won't be running catalytic converters as we don't have a very stringent visual inspection as long as the car runs clean, so this may not be a perfect fit for everyone but I am always open to discussion.

Last edited by luminmiller; 07-18-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminmiller View Post
I ran a stealth catch can and recirculated vapor back to my intake tract on a e28 535 in SD California without ever getting noticed by a visual inspector..... Just make it clean looking like the OP!

I have many fellow e39ers here in the Netherlands that have FI M5's and always run ccv out to bungs in either exhaust...post cats and O2"s. With both bungs combined they show vacuum in the range of 7.7 to 10.5 HG. This would be great for our low tension piston rings, but I'm pretty sure a NA single bung six cylinder will offer a much lower VAC from this source (anyone have pressure calculations?). Our pressure control valve maintains a slight vacuum of only (10-15 mbar), so I think an exhaust bung is more than a sufficient replacement for vacuum.

I wanted to use only a catch can with K&N Filter and drain oil back to dipstick (with check valve), but instead I will be going with a pressure pump set for a constant 10HG of vacuum. I will pressure test the engine once reassembled to confirm the seals can handle this much vac, but in the meantime here is a diagram of the basics:

I am building a M50B30 (with m54b30 pistons and rings) for street use in Europe and won't be running catalytic converters as we don't have a very stringent visual inspection as long as the car runs clean, so this may not be a perfect fit for everyone but I am always open to discussion.
Spec is 5.2 water-columns for vacuum on the Ccv I6.

How do plan on running a hose from the k&n filter to a check-valve/ exhaust bung?

Won't you run the chance of clogging up the cats by doing this?

Thanks!
Jason