Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Pano sunroof just one of the problems or should I say Common problems that we have

I hate to say this, but our X5 4.8is is also a victim of this. I know that every time we have something wrong with our X5 all I hear is that is common.

We have so much happening to a High dollar car it is sad. Why does everyone accept that it is common?

I don't understand I know lower end cars that have almost no problems, and American cars that run forever. Is that not why we buy BMW to have a great quality car? With less to go wrong and long lasting enjoyment?

I hate to say this, but after 5 BMW's this one has got me wondering were they are going in the future with the car company.

X5 4.8is well over maintained.... 83,000 miles

#1 Panaramic sunroof back section will not open. and the cloth between the (2) pieces of glass needed to be changed. it was cracked and dried out allowing it to leak in to the tray that split it, and then into the car. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#2 Headlight wiper motor is leaking out the reservoir. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#3 Seat heater is burning on the right side of the seat And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#4 Air Bags have fallen and will not allow the car to go up. (Been replacing them 1 x 1) And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#5 The window regulators are breaking and need to be replaced 1 x 1. This is a very stupid thing I have had this happen on my other BMW's and it seems as if they have not fixed it yet WTF BMW. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#6 The Door hand on the out side to open the door broke. It is a small part in the door that cost 250.00 and another 250.00 to install WTF I tried to get this done with the regulator and they wanted 750.00 to fix both. I am not a mechanic, but I put the back one in. for 135.00 myself. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#7 The Navigation screen is Pixelating. In case you don't know what that means. It is loosing Pixels that creat the picture they are not working this leaves the screen with small dead squares, and as the accumulate it has dead black patches all over the screen. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#8. The Buttons on the HOME LINK are rubbing off! Not sure why they would make it with a spray over coating. Once again on just about all these issues is BMW not better then the other guy. And if so why are we paying this much for there cars. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#8.5 Almost forgot. the fan on low has a very high pitched squeaking noise, and the buttons on the Heater control are falling off. And I am told this is common on all BMW's WTF

#9 The Transmission about 35-40 mph you would hold your speed steady and it would start down then up shifting very rapidly. I was told because the Fluid would get dirty attach dirt the the band and sensors inside and cause this problem. ow And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#9 This is separate but I believe goes with #10 as you will read. But the dip stick is not reading the oil level correct. I know this cause after just about every test you can preform as you will read in #10. We drained the oil and put exact amount of oil in the car. it did not show up on the stick. This is not common, but one mechanic the last has told me the 4.6is and the 4.8is was back to back build and they have heard stories the wrong oil pain was put on the 4.8is motor as it would bolt up the decisions were different. As the dip stick checks out it is the appropriate one with the correct length and part number.
#10 OK here is one of the last things I can remember and this is the biggest issue for joining any BMW board and telling my story of this BMW.
The Engine is smoking. Yes when it gets up to temp or even right before it starts to smoke. if you let it ideal it will leave the car behind you in a sea of smoke. This started about a year ago. We have put over 4000.00 into this with not a single mechanic (out of 3 companies) being able to find a problem. Our Local BMW shop told us with a service inspection that we need a motor. We ask how this cam about and the said they have seen this before. I ask what test they ran and the Mechanic was out to lunch and did not leave any notes. We will call you. No call. Next Mechanic. Sprayed the motor down. did a leak down a compression test and a whole lot of other test replace some valve that mixes are into the Block/ and or head. That was one recommendation from another forum. This all cost a wooing 1700.00 still no results. After some time and study they thought they had a fix called us in and explained some stuff they were going to try and do with no luck another 1200.00.

I was driving down the road and found another mechanic with German cars outside they had a 4.8is for sale so I stopped in the owner also a mechanic was all about the cars. He never heard of what was going on with mine except 1-8 all the common stuff of course. He did say he read a few things about the 4.8is and was curious if this was what was happening to ours.
The smoking problem could be from #9 and it has been overfilled all its life of 83,000 and built up in the exhaust. (don't get how come it took this long to smoke?) They check the pan it was the appropriate pan for the Model of the car WTF. They flushed the transmission to clean out the shifting problem and it seem to do the trick (then 1 month later it was back not as bad but it came back) this all cost around 1400.00 for diagnoses and flushing. I know this is not common as of what I know right now, Maybe it soon will be, but it is not yet. With all these problems can someone explain to me why I would by another BMW?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Same problem here. I bought the X5 and its sunroof was disabled and I was not told why. Fuse was OK so popped control button out and loom was disconnected, I thought I was the dogs danglies reconnect and try roof, front and rear roofs pop up in vent mode, cool lol, try to shut them and only the front will shut, back stays in vent mode (tilted up). Followed instructions to close the rear mannually, there is a hole in the ramps and was able to put a screw driver into these and move them back so glass sits level with roof. How do you know if you have the roof locked in place? Will carry out sunnys mod at the weekend. The sunblind is back and tried the water hose on the roof, a lot of water leaks into the channels and drains away ok, is this normal? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Same problem here. I bought the X5 and its sunroof was disabled and I was not told why. Fuse was OK so popped control button out and loom was disconnected, I thought I was the dogs danglies reconnect and try roof, front and rear roofs pop up in vent mode, cool lol, try to shut them and only the front will shut, back stays in vent mode (tilted up). Followed instructions to close the rear mannually, there is a hole in the ramps and was able to put a screw driver into these and move them back so glass sits level with roof. How do you know if you have the roof locked in place? Will carry out sunnys mod at the weekend. The sunblind is back and tried the water hose on the roof, a lot of water leaks into the channels and drains away ok, is this normal? Sorry for so many questions.
If you ask any BMW Mechanic/Tech you will get told this is a common problem.

The funny part is there use to be a web site. Called BMWpartsCounter.com they would allow you to by parts on a individual bases. They disappeared all the sudden can't imagine why. It seems as with all the common things we all will need them. The Fix would cost around 3600.00 for the new roof & up to 1 1/2 days to swap. This would in most states leave you with 5000.00 dollar fix. I can't tell you that it is normal answer to fixing it. Now BMW makes the parts individually, but I can say reading and talking to other BMW owners with Panoramic roofs this does happen a lot. I have been told by a mechanic. The design is made to break. He has had one and from day one at every oil change he wipes down the track and lubes it. He has never had a problem. Not sure if that is the fix, but seems pretty archaic design if you ask me, For BMW to have so many problems when they use to build such a good car is beyond me.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
Howard, I have a 2004 x5 my rear glass is stuck open. It is winter here now , so I really need to repair it ASAP.

Thanks,
Gene
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Gruver View Post
Howard, I have a 2004 x5 my rear glass is stuck open. It is winter here now , so I really need to repair it ASAP.

Thanks,
Gene
Sunnys fix worked perfect, 10 minute job max
Old 02-05-2012, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: Sorry VW,s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Gruver View Post

Thanks,
Gene
Hi again all please check page two {2} of this thread for instructions and photos scroll down to the bottom of the page and there it is REgards Howard from Australia
Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5
X5 pan roof issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny43.5 View Post
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Hi Howard
I would really appreciate information and pics on the fix you came up with.
Thanks
Roger
Roger.raymond@emc.com
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E53
Quote:
Hi Edmonton you can close the roof your self just sit in the back seat with blinds open look under the rear glass you will see a metal fitting which has a tapered end on the front like a ramp you will also see a small hole in it . All you need to do is use a screw driver to push this ramp reawards do each side a bit at a time as the ramp moves the glass will close . Now remember do not use the roof again as the first time you use the vent position it will push the glass at the rear back up again and to close you will have to do the procedure all over again . If you wish to do the repair I mention yourself please send me your email adress and I will send you the instructions and photos it only takes five minutes to do and afterwards you will still have a fully functioning front suroof panel which will slide and tilt along with the blinds working . The fix only disables the rear glass leaving every thing else working normaly without the rear one going up and staying up any more . Regards Howard
Hello Howard,can you help me to fix my problem with the sunroof,please?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4I
Dear Sunny, I'm having the same problem witth my X5 4.4i. Could you please send myour e-mail, so you can help me to fix it? Thks a lot!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Why does everyone accept that it's a problem on this 'high dollar car? b/c it's not a high dollar car! It's a used car that USED to be high dollar. It was built for the first owner and the 4yr/50K mile warranty or MAYBE the 6yr 100K mile CPO warranty. We who own these cars out of warranty have purchased a used car, warts and all without any predication of reliability or durability, whether due to lack of or even perfect maintenance. They will break and it will cost money.

Does anyone really think for a minute that the price of this car somehow makes it more reliable? HAH! That's just ab the absolute worst logic I have ever heard! Try using it on anyone driving an E65 7 series. They'll laugh in your face. And then they'll cry on your shoulder.

The problems with this motor- also found in the 745, 545 and the 645 of the day- are ALL over the place. The sunroof, too. Window regulators have been failing since the dawn of the company. My 1975 2002 has gone through more than 10 over 25 years- and has only 2 windows that roll. My 1976 2002 sunroof leaks. Every one of 'em has the same rust in all the same places.

I have been driving these cars for 25 years. E39's, E46's, this is my 2nd E53. Guess what? They ALL cost more to run than a car that was less than HALF the cost new. If the buyer of this car thinks they are somehow buying reliability that poor people could not afford, he has it exactly bass-ackwards.

This is the car of the rich who have absolutely no qualms with a $4000 sunroof fix. Why? B/c their fix is to just move on and buy a whole new sunroof- With a whole new BMW attached to it. It's the poor b@satrds like us who want to feel like we can afford a $70K car that simply need to man up and realize that the more expensive a car was, the more expensive it will be to maintain. ESPECIALLY a BMW.

We bought the car because WE wanted it. If we didn't think stuff would break- no matter how 'common', 'silly', or whatever else, then WE the owners- not BMW- not the dealer- not ANYONE but US. WE. ME. YOU. are to blame.

Yep. YOU.

Take some ownership in your ownership. YOU bought this car and if YOU thought it was bullet proof, YOU were wrong. And, well.. only YOU. And if you continue to own it even though these 'common' issues bug you or persist with the one you bought USED, then you are to blame yet again. If it's costing more to run than we get from it the decision is easy: Sell it and move on.

As for me, my 2004 4.8is has just under 22K miles on it. I haven't had much in the way of problems in the year I have owned it since I bought it with 11K miles. But you can bet yer sweet @$$ I am saving up for the next big thing. Or the next little one. It will likely go through a couple regulators like my 2004 X5 did over 7 years and 100K miles that I drove it. It may even need another alternator. But so what? Absolutely NO other car this size is going to provide what this one will at this price- even with silly things that break and ridiculously high maintenance items. I'm happy in my decision to own this car and I'm ready and willing to pay for it when it breaks. If I weren't, I wouldn't own it. And neither should anyone else.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 03-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 AM

Hello again to all BMW X5 X3 owners from Down Under in Australia , I am trying to save some of you some trouble that you are going to or are having with your sunroofs . Please look on page 2 of this post and scroll right to the bottom you will find the complete details with pics there for all to see . As I had posted the repair so long ago not everyone has seen the page with the info on so this is just a reminder for new arrivals . I am also grateful to the many replies I have had from all corners of the world , its nice to find so many of you have been able to fix the sunroofs youselves .
As a matter of interest the best one so far was a BMW owner called Christian from Belgium who actually rang me late one night and as I did not answer it at 11.30 pm he then sent a text message to say check my email . I did so at the time and sent him the repair details ,the following day he sent a reply email to say it was fixed . I can still picture him as he described it in his suit at outside his home fixing the sunroof because it was stuck open and it was raining . A great story , so thanks again to those who have replied after fixing your roofs youselves . Regards Howard Thrift East Coast Sunroofs Queensland Australia
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x5 4.8is,328i,x5 td
Hold the middle button and let the roof do a hole cycle that's reset it the roof and that fixed the fault I had
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM

Just to clarify what was just posted if your roof shows some strange operation a reprogramme might help to clear a fault . As described you need to push upwards on the sunroof button right in the centre hold the button do not release after around 60 seconds the roof will then start to go through all its movements again do not release the button until it has gone through all functions . The final movement is after having closed the shades it does not move any more , then you can take your finger off the button if you stop at any time during the sequence you will have to start again Good Luck all !!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: x5
X5 Sunroof Issue

Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Hi Howard

It will be great if you could please E-mail me the instractions for the BMW X5 Sunroof repair.
My E-mail: Kopman13@gmail.com

Thanks
Avi
Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 AM

Just another reminder you can find the photos and details of the repair on page 2 of this thread scroll all the way to the bottom of the page . Regards Howard/ East Coast Sunroofs Australia .
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 05 X5
Sunny43.5 you are a champion!!!!! I have no experience with car maintenance at all and in 10 minutes, yes that's right 10 minutes and not one $ I have closed the rear vent glass ( it will never open again, and I'm glad) re-booted the system, by holding down the button for 60 odd seconds and the rest of the sunroof operates perfect, so every one with the same issue, tell the dealer or who ever the theives call themselves to shove the $4500 quotes and have a crack at fixing the problem with sunny43.5's (Howard's) simple instructions!!!! Good luck to you all and thanks once again sunny43.5(Howard)
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E53 X5 4.4 LPG
Smile

I had to register to say thank you to Howard, very easy job and sunroof issue now resolved! Thank you Howard, if I was local I'd buy you a few beers!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 AM

Hi all, my 2006 x5 panoramic roof today stopped working, was in the tilt position. I manually wound it down with no issues. no track damage and rear part wen straight down when wound.

However now, it is completely inoperable, won't open, won't close, no motor noise. Have tried to reset by holding button for 60 seconds, I hear it click into initiation, but then does nothing.

Checked fuse, even swapped it for a new one just in case.

Any suggestions? Just got it back from repairer on Wednesday with a 4k bill, don't really want another one.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 PM

So as most of all other users in this forum, I had the same problem with the panorama roof on my X5. Followed Howard's (Sunny43.5) instructions as posted on page 2. Really quick fix to an otherwise potential nightmare. Howard, a BIG THANK YOU for sharing the information!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
my back half is also stuck open, and my sunshade wont slide back either
Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 AM

As previously shown there is a full fix on page two of this thread scroll down to the bottom . This will only solve the problem of the rear part stuck open after the modification it will allow full operation of the front roof only and also keeps the shades working as well . If your shade is not working I am afraid its a huge job with big $,s to fix Regards Howard
Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
As previously shown there is a full fix on page two of this thread scroll down to the bottom . This will only solve the problem of the rear part stuck open after the modification it will allow full operation of the front roof only and also keeps the shades working as well . If your shade is not working I am afraid its a huge job with big $,s to fix Regards Howard
What would cause both motors to give up at the same time? Module? I don't think it's track, or am I missing something?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
started out that only my tilt would work, sunshade wouldnt open in the middle, glass wouldnt slide at all, tryed to reinitialize, and sunshade opened in middle and glass got stuck on tilt mode, but never did it slide, then the back glass stuck sideways at first when i tryed closin it, but now it doesnt move at all, front glass trys but it wont close, stuck with the vent in the middle of the sunshade and glass back half stuck open, front wont close

need to get the repair kit

Last edited by Gurjit; 05-02-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
So, this "German Engineering" wonder has been malfunctioning since roughly 2000. GREAT! It just cost me $2500 to replace the whole assembly. Took my 2005 X5 3.0 to the Stealer and they wanted $3800.00cle. My Indy thought he could do it for about $800. No such luck. I use the roof and shade, so I wanted both to function.... Mine was the same scenario. The main panel wanted to slide and the rear panel was stuck in the vent position. It was a piece of the plastic slide that broke, causing the whole thing.

Time to re-evaluate this vehicle. I would be interested in learning about "the fix", in case this happens again.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e53 Diesel
Sunroof is not working

Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it ha,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Hi Howard,

I am having this exact issue with my sunroof and would love to know the process to fix the issue. Could you please email me the details so my nightmare goes away email: maba@iprimus.com.au Thanking you in advance.
Maba