Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 318IS 2D coupe
gauge cluster question.

so like i was sayingi just bought my car, and one of the other problems it had was the gauge cluster was inop. i removed the gauge cluster from the car and swapped it out for another unit. i went from a vdo unit to a moto unit. now the guages work but the odometer is still inop and the bezel didnt quite fit the moto unit? what are my options.
Ads by Google
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 e30
i had a similar problem and i used the gauge cluster from a 318is. The one thing is that when you swap a gauge cluster it must be vdo to vdo, or motometer to motometer. so because you swapped from vdo to motometer you probably need to swap the wiring harness and the coder on the front bottom. try that and see what happens.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
Alo make sure your odometer gears arent stripped.

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Old 07-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevthisE30 View Post
i had a similar problem and i used the gauge cluster from a 318is. The one thing is that when you swap a gauge cluster it must be vdo to vdo, or motometer to motometer. so because you swapped from vdo to motometer you probably need to swap the wiring harness and the coder on the front bottom. try that and see what happens.
Nope. They interchange vdo to motometer. The difference is early model to late model, the coding plug is the important thing, 318i/s plug in a 318 etc.

I'll bet the gears were already stripped in the new one as well.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: '89 325iX
+1 on importance of moving coding plug from old cluster to new.

New odometer gears are expensive but worth it IMHO. They will fix the odometer.

Bezel is interchangeable / identical. You must have some installation error if it does not fit properly.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: e30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsBark26 View Post

Bezel is interchangeable / identical. You must have some installation error if it does not fit properly.
They don't need to be expensive.

http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/in...tegory&path=63

The vdo odometers and moto odometers can be interchanged from cluster to cluster without a wiring change. They are identical. The advantage to some people on the moto units is that some have an adjustment knob that can be changed on them. Some use it to calibrate for different wheels etc.

The gears are also not that hard to do. Here is instructions on how to do it here (this is vdo version):

http://garagistic.com/index.php?page...r-instructions

And video to help:

BTW: We know this is an old thread but it will still come up in searches so its nice that all the info stays in one place.

Last edited by garagistic; 04-30-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: We know this is an old thread but it will still come up in searches so its nice that all the info stays in one place.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthewaters View Post
Nope. They interchange vdo to motometer. The difference is early model to late model, the coding plug is the important thing, 318i/s plug in a 318 etc.

I'll bet the gears were already stripped in the new one as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsBark26 View Post

Quoted for truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagistic View Post
They don't need to be expensive.

http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/in...tegory&path=63

The vdo odometers and moto odometers can be interchanged from cluster to cluster without a wiring change. They are identical. The advantage to some people on the moto units is that some have an adjustment knob that can be changed on them. Some use it to calibrate for different wheels etc.

The gears are also not that hard to do. Here is instructions on how to do it here (this is vdo version):

http://garagistic.com/index.php?page...r-instructions

And video to help:

BTW: We know this is an old thread but it will still come up in searches so its nice that all the info stays in one place.
was gunna report this post for advertising then realized we have a new sponsor! Welcome to the forum!

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: e30
Yes we are proud to announce we are a bimmerfest sponsor. Glad we can help.

(be on the lookout for the e30 odometer gear group buy thread!)

Last edited by garagistic; 04-30-2012 at 11:41 PM.