Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i (E53 2005)
X5 gum in oil - blown head gasket?

Hi guys,
Hope to get some light about my problem.

2 months ago, I bought this 2005 X5 with 122K km. It is running really. great. This past week end, while driving, I got the yellow warning sign for oil. I stopped and check the oil level, it was below the minimum. I also noticed that is has some goo (light beige) on the dip stick. Upon opening the oil filler cap, there is even more there. I added 2 pints of the same synthetic oil as was put in. The level was in the middle on the dip stick. Then I got back home (about an hour drive).

The next day, I check the oil and it was maybe an pint lower. I have checked the radiator expansion tank and while it was cool, the dipstick was down and did not pop out (it think it should?), I was wanted to check for oil in the coolant system but I could not see. I ran my finger inside the hole and it is dry.

The temp gauge was always running up the middle, never went more than that.

So now, I am really worried as I recall having a similar problem on an older honda and it was the head gasket and warped head.

I don't know well this vehicle yet, I just got it, but does it has a oil cooler in the radiator that could mix into the coolant? If the expansion thank seem empty, where did my oil went? It never smelled burned oil and it is not smoking. The oil change was done about 2-3 weeks before I bought it.

Any advice on simple things I could check before starting to spend huge amount of money?

thanks in advance for anything that can help me, it is appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephtech View Post
Hi guys,
Hope to get some light about my problem.

2 months ago, I bought this 2005 X5 with 122K km. It is running really. great. This past week end, while driving, I got the yellow warning sign for oil. I stopped and check the oil level, it was below the minimum. I also noticed that is has some goo (light beige) on the dip stick. Upon opening the oil filler cap, there is even more there. I added 2 pints of the same synthetic oil as was put in. The level was in the middle on the dip stick. Then I got back home (about an hour drive).

The next day, I check the oil and it was maybe an pint lower. I have checked the radiator expansion tank and while it was cool, the dipstick was down and did not pop out (it think it should?), I was wanted to check for oil in the coolant system but I could not see. I ran my finger inside the hole and it is dry.

The temp gauge was always running up the middle, never went more than that.

So now, I am really worried as I recall having a similar problem on an older honda and it was the head gasket and warped head.

I don't know well this vehicle yet, I just got it, but does it has a oil cooler in the radiator that could mix into the coolant? If the expansion thank seem empty, where did my oil went? It never smelled burned oil and it is not smoking. The oil change was done about 2-3 weeks before I bought it.

Any advice on simple things I could check before starting to spend huge amount of money?

thanks in advance for anything that can help me, it is appreciated.
If it doesn't smoke, your crank-case ventilator is busted/clogged, it'll burn oil fast/faster.
The sludge/yoghurt substance because of moisture in the oil from short-driving trips, the moisture never gets burn off cause engine never get a chance to gets hot (i.e. like in longer trips).
I'd say replace the CCV and hose before winter or you may damage the engine when the moisture freeze over creating "hydro-lock" (for example if you go out shopping in the mall and park outside during Montreal winter).