Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT
Forced to use PlugIn with Snap-In Adapter?

Hi All, Maybe this is a dumb question but I'm new to BMW Apps and the Snap-In Adapter and when I plug my iPhone in to the Snap-In Adapter it appears that I'm forced to use the "PlugIn" service under connected drive to be able to navigate through Artist/Album/etc. I'm not really a big fan of this since it takes over my whole Nav screen (can't have the map up) and if I switch out to the map and come back in to PlugIn, it seems to interrupt the music for a second or two. Based on this, I'd really prefer to just use the old iPod/iPhone iDrive interface where you select Artist, then Album, etc. all through the BMW interface and can utilize split screen -- but this doesn't appear to be there when I'm plugged in through the Snap-In Adapter. If I do go in to where I'd expect this to be, it seems to only allow me to go forward and backward with tracks, not browse through anything hierarchically.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Does using the Snap-In Adapter basically force you to use PlugIn and disables the old USB functionality of navigating your iPod/iPhone through the BMW interface?

Last edited by gentryma1; 05-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
I use the white apple cable connected to the USB in the center armrest and it works without the plugin.
I don't have the snap in dock, though.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT
I figured it out, you have to go in to the "Search" option in the menu if you access the iPhone through the snap-in. So that's cool, same functionality as old way if that's what you want. The Apple-like interface you get with PlugIn (iPod Out) is cool but it's a shame its only full screen. If you could split screen with the Nav it would be perfect. All the promo photos before it came out show it that way but it's implemented full screen.