Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STBimmer View Post
Short answer...repeat business cycle...you doctor/attorney/accountant are people you need often Your car salesman...you bought a Lexus yesterday, a BMW today...

That's how I learned the sales process works, they got the sale, they got their money now it's not their problem, on to the next sale. ONce they closed the sale, their interest shifts to the next guy/gal that has money that they need to be parted with...I know it is frustrating as a customer but make it a hobby of busting his chops every single day (or multiple times a day) take it as a game -set a reminder..."call bmw dealership"- and move on.
One thing is fairly clear, no matter how much you worry and get frustrated, the car ain't gonna get here any faster. I know it's not easy but it is a really good time to take on some Yoga classes right now...

Good luck and whichever car you get it's gonna be awesome
You make an excellent point! However, and not to negate your point, I have had plenty of car buying experiences where it was an ongoing relationship. Not saying we were on a friends basis, but it was beyond.....I got the sale and now on to the next.

You do make excellent points and I will reassess my frustrations. Question, does the customer service survey mean anything?? If so, shouldnt that be on the forefront of their minds and thus make them think twice about lackluster service????

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration

Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STBimmer View Post
I get 14.something MPG on the 550. However I always drive it in Sport/DS. as Mpress said, the solution for the 'poor' mpg is to turn off the MPG indicator. Actually the only complaint that I have is that it doesn't have a bigger gas tank... with the X5 I gas up (diesel up?) every 420/450 miles... but with the GT is every 250 miles (once a week)...

Other than that I love the 550, I drove a 535 before and it felt adequate, the 550 feels stupid fast.

A solution to your lack of customer care problem? Email one of the board sponsors... I did my deal with Greg Poland and it was a pleasure to work with. You can also check the progress of your car on the 1-800 number.

GL with your car hunt.
Knowing what you know now, good and/or bad, would you get the 550GT over the 535GT?

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Smartphone Integration

Old 04-29-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
Lex, how long do you normally keep a car?
I haven't noticed if you said....
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2BMW View Post
I tried to have the car rerouted and was told that the slouch dealer already did a trade to have it rerouted to them. Furthermore, I was told the slouch dealer would know the GT is for me and would NEVER release it. How would they know? Because I let it be known that if they didn't up their customer service I would take my business to the responsive dealer.

I am somewhat conscious about gas mileage but ultimately it is not a deal breaker. I also have a 328i manual that I drive regularly so the GT would not be the every day driver.

I am not concern about having the most well appointed or ULTIMATE driving machine. As a matter of fact, if both the 535 and 550 GT was on the lot and ready to go, I would opt for the 535GT every time. However, when the responsive dealer finally gave in to a few hundred over invoice (over a week of haggling) on the 550, it made me say hmmm. The difference in payments is drive offs on the 535GT and drive offs plus $2600 on the 550GT
I can understand why you are tempted by the 550 - no wait, an emotionally easier transaction, an attractive deal.

The responsive dealer wants you to buy the 550 because there's more cheese in the deal for them. Bird in hand. Sounds like it's not only a matter of $2600 and more frequent gas stops, it's also about having a pleasant experience. Knowing you'd take a 535 over a 550 if they were side-by-side, it might be worth going after the 535. Either try to make it a positive experience again, or just get through an ugly one as fast as possible.

You could try a few things:

1. Call the bluff of the responsive dealer. Tell them you made up your mind and want the 535 at $XX price. See what happens. (Unless it sells, you can always buy the 550).

2. If you absolutely can't get the 535 with the responsive dealer, find out who is above the slouch GM and appeal to him/her in a civil, but frank fashion. Tell him/her that you've had a poor experience, but you want the car. (Then slam them in the survey unless they bend-over-backwards.)

3. If you get no satisfaction, get BMW NA involved.

Do you know where the 535 is now?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchewbaka View Post
Lex, how long do you normally keep a car?
I haven't noticed if you said....
I never had a car longer than 13 months hence why I've had over 27 cars. Sick I know.....

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Smartphone Integration

Last edited by Lex2BMW; 04-29-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyed View Post
Do you know where the 535 is now?
Today I received a call from the Assistant General Manager stating that he is unable to track a vehicle once it is on the truck. All he could tell me is that the ETA changed from 4/27 to 5/2. First it was 4/25 and then it changed to 4/27 and now it is 5/2

BTW, Today was the FIRST time I received an unprovoked call from the dealership!

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Smartphone Integration

Last edited by Lex2BMW; 04-29-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
Quote:
I never had a car longer than 13 months hence why I've had over 27 cars. Sick I know.....
Damn! you have more experience with dealers than any of us!
Plus, whichever car you decide on you get a great car - just enjoy if for the year and you will be happy!

Chill, buddy - all is good.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
Quote:
You make an excellent point! However, and not to negate your point, I have had plenty of car buying experiences where it was an ongoing relationship. Not saying we were on a friends basis, but it was beyond.....I got the sale and now on to the next.

You do make excellent points and I will reassess my frustrations. Question, does the customer service survey mean anything?? If so, shouldnt that be on the forefront of their minds and thus make them think twice about lackluster service????
The CSI survey should be what keeps them honest but I don't know how ofter those are made. I bought my last 3 bmw new and I never once got a CSI survey. My shortcoming is that I've never had a new car buying experience with another brand so I don't have a benchmark to compare to.

Your frustration is understandable, though, I'd expect a certain level of service when parting ways with $70k+...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
550 only because it has the DH that is the deal breaker for me ..... i am sure if i did not have DH and then drove a car that had it ... id be miserable and every time there was roll or i just needed more of a sporty setting i would be wishing i had it....based on the above you are saying now it has premium sound?? ( i once bagged a deal for a loaded 550 sedan from my dealer with 1600 manager miles on it for lack of premium sound)
the 550 sounds like a nice build and i like the color scheme more then white...500 is a beast and mileage is soso.... but you can get from gas station to gas station quicker...JK...

feel free to contact me with more questions.. but ultimately forget the bad experience your having it will all be in your rearview mirror soon.. don't let an under involved dealership ruin your good time.. you will be driving the car long after the memory of the purchase scenario is over..so get the car you like the most....

Quote:
MP, Here is a breakout of the different packages. The top and side view cameras are in the Driver Assistance Package. Does this change your opinion of the build?

ZDA Driver Assistance Package
5AC Automatic high beams
5AD Lane Departure Warning
5AG Active Blind Spot Detection
5DL Side and Top View Cameras
610 Head-up Display

ZCV Convenience Package
316 Power tailgate
322 Comfort Access keyless entry
323 Soft-close automatic doors

ZDA Driver Assistance Package
5AC Automatic high beams
5AD Lane Departure Warning
5AG Active Blind Spot Detection
5DL Side and Top View Cameras
610 Head-up Display

ZCW Cold Weather Package
248 Heated Steering Wheel
494 Heated front seats
496 Heated rear seats

ZVP Value Package
655 Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
677 Premium hi-fi system

ZMP M Sport Package

7MP Sport Package
2NG 19" M light alloy V-spoke style 302-withall...
710 M steering wheel
715 Aerodynamic kit
760 Shadowline exterior trim
775 Anthracite headliner
840 Increased top speed limiter

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM

Thank you mp and everybody else who took the time to chime in. You guys are really passionate about the GT and just as passionate about helping others on GT matters.

This morning my wife says to me......You know you want the 550 so why not just get it! I said.....i'm not leaning towards the 550 because it's souped up with bigger engine, gadgets, etc but because I've had a more pleasant experience dealing with the dealership and CA. If the responsive dealer had a 535, I would get the 535.

If I could get the 535 rerouted to the responsive dealer, I would. Since I can't, I am just READY TO DRIVE!!!! :-)

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Smartphone Integration

Last edited by Lex2BMW; 04-30-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM

sounds like your wife is a keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!if i weren't married 20+ years id fight you for her....the 550 is quite the ride...you will be happy...and on the bright side gas prices dropped cents this week....the only possible negative is gas mileage...figure 25% more consumption..for an average commuter thats like $1000 a year worth the money trust me!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Thank you mp and everybody else who took the time to chime in. You guys are really passionate about the GT and just as passionate about helping others on GT matters.

This morning my wife says to me......You know you want the 550 so why not just get it! I said.....i'm not leaning towards the 550 because it's souped up with bigger engine, gadgets, etc but because I've had a more pleasant experience dealing with the dealership and CA. If the responsive dealer had a 535, I would get the 535.

If I could get the 535 rerouted to the responsive dealer, I would. Since I can't, I am just READY TO DRIVE!!!! :-)

09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Vindication of sorts.....

Today one of my coworkers decided he was going to put an end to the lackluster service I've received from this particular dealership so he stopped by my office and gave me the contact information for the owner. He knows him well. Anyway, I sent a non-emotional but blunt email explaining my trials and tribulations and about an hour later received a call from the General Manager. I am not sure if the call was the result of my email, but I was just elated someone was calling me. He gave me a status on my vehicle, which at the time was no status AND he called to inform that the dealership decided to part ways with the slouch CA. Of course I never wanted the CA to lose his job but I am not losing sleep over it either. Upon meeting the CA, he let it be known that he is the top salesman and if true, the dealership parting ways with him says a lot! Good riddance! For privacy reasons I modified my initial post to remove the dealership and CA's name since he no longer work there.

AND

The General Manager called twenty minutes later to inform that a truck just arrived and while looking over the vehicles guess what he saw..... My 2012 535GT! I am picking it up tomorrow late afternoon.

Oh and one more thing......

They work fast because I just checked the staff listing on their website and his picture is GONE!

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Smartphone Integration

Last edited by Lex2BMW; 04-30-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Lex, I'm glad you went to the top! I'm sure there were other equally frustrated buyers, so you probably did the dealership a favor. Sorry to hear the guy lost his job, but I seriously doubt you were the only one complaining.

Soooooo.......!!!!! Do you have the car??????
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM

sad thats what had to happen but sounds like bmw is better off without him...and as far as you go....

vroooom vroooom vrooooooom baby!
mp

09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster